EE - free EU roaming (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
For information, just had a text from EE to say that EU roaming is now 'free' (i.e. same cost as at home). Think it also includes data as the text mentions using Instagram and Maps at no extra cost.
At last and about time. Hope this info is useful.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have both been getting txts for the last few weeks stating just that we also as part of our package get 1gb of data, and not before time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Be aware that your fair usage data allowance while outside the UK will probably be reduced considerably, check the small print !!!
Cheers
Ed

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just make sure you dial your friends and family from Europe and not them calling you whilst in Europe. As I understand those dialling from the U.K. to you whilst you are abroad will incure higher charges although you receiving the call will not be charged

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just make sure you dial your friends and family from Europe and not them calling you whilst in Europe. As I understand those dialling from the U.K. to you whilst you are abroad will incure higher charges although you receiving the call will not be charged
I've heard rumours of this but yet to see any evedence to support it.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Exactly so.

The point is that there are now no additional charges for YOU roaming with your mobile phone (so long as you stay within the amounts of calls and data allowance on your phone).

But anyone calling you from Britain whilst you are elsewhere in the EEA is still making a call to overseas from their phone in their home country, just as previously.
It's only the you making calls/using data on your own phone that has now had additional roaming charges removed.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I wonder how long it will take Manx Telecom to catch up with the UK legislation. 25p for a text and an arm and a leg should you dare to make/receive a call whilst roaming.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Wherever I am in the world I always use what's app, free calls. Also you can text with added photos, free.

Mickey.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Yes, you need wifi, but it's free in so many places now. If I am calling to someone abroad, always what's app.

Mickey.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just checked as I've just changed to Plusnet which uses the EE network, no charges for calling a UK number in a roam at home country when calling from the UK.

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just checked as I've just changed to Plusnet which uses the EE network, no charges for calling a UK number in a roam at home country when calling from the UK.
Yes indeed it's worth everyone to check their respective contracts so there are no surprises

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
For information, just had a text from EE to say that EU roaming is now 'free' (i.e. same cost as at home). Think it also includes data as the text mentions using Instagram and Maps at no extra cost.
At last and about time. Hope this info is useful.
Just because they've been forced to by legislation. They wouldn't otherwise. Love 3 as they did it a while ago without pressure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
said on tv this morning you can use all of your data up to your limit

joe
Most networks have a fair use policy of 15 gig, so if you have a 20 gig contract you can only use 15 gig a month when roaming, if you have a 10 gig contract you can use all of it.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder how long it will take Manx Telecom to catch up with the UK legislation. 25p for a text and an arm and a leg should you dare to make/receive a call whilst roaming.
It is a nice place though, so that probably more than makes up for it! :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
But you must use it most of the time in the place of origin so youcan't buy a cheap spanish simm and use it here

Joe

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yep.. Was just checking my Vodafone accounts for Kat and I, and the kids... Whatever you can use in the UK, you can now use in the EuroZone... Good news...[/QUOT

Yes, and there are no limits other than your allowance all of which you use and you can purchase more data if you need to. There is no throttling or fair useage policy and I have it writing and conformed in a telephone conversation that this is in fact the case, also that you can roam for more than 30 days without being cut off contrary to media reports and other speculation.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Only as of today apparently (according to the Steve Wright Show!)

Today was the latest date that operators could implement. We're with Vodafone espana and they scrapped the roaming charges quite a few months ago now.
Just to mention too that it's not just within the euro zone. It is all across the EU and EEA countries. But watch the small print: its only whilst you are within the call and data allowance limit of your package. Once out of data allowance you could well be stung hard if using more whilst roaming, depending upon the terms of your contract with your operator.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bitby
Today was the latest date that operators could implement. We're with Vodafone espana and they scrapped the roaming charges quite a few months ago now.
Just to mention too that it's not just within the euro zone. It is all across the EU and EEA countries. But watch the small print: its only whilst you are within the call and data allowance limit of your package. Once out of data allowance you could well be stung hard if using more whilst roaming, depending upon the terms of your contract with your operator.
You will get a warning text before you run out and have the option to buy more data or simply stop using it until you monthly allowance refreshes

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
anyone know if the marine service is included was on ferry home earlier but wasnt going to risk it

According to some tech news I saw today the answer is that they are not forced by this EU directive to do so, but MAY decide to fall in line. ....so check with your ferry company before making calls/using data on board, as many still have their bizarre hookup with a telecoms operator so your phone operator thinks you are calling from somewhere way outside of the EEA even though you are only 5 miles off Harwich.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
With Virgin Media, their Fair use policy only lets you use the same roaming as you have done in the UK.
It looks at a 4 month period and checks how much of your allowance you used home and away. So if you don't use much of your allowance normally you may not get your full allowance when roaming.
I checked before we left as I wanted to make sure. The guy gave me a free GB and told me to "watch some crap tonight and use up the GB". That way I have increased what I can use.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Wife has PAYG on EE, her text advised calls & texts will be the same as in the UK, not good news as they use to be cheaper.
I have 02 but not received notification, my calls / texts back to the UK were much less than UK to UK.
I'll find out on Wednesday when we cross the Channel how I'll be affected

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With Virgin Media, their Fair use policy only lets you use the same roaming as you have done in the UK.
It looks at a 4 month period and checks how much of your allowance you used home and away. So if you don't use much of your allowance normally you may not get your full allowance when roaming.
I checked before we left as I wanted to make sure. The guy gave me a free GB and told me to "watch some crap tonight and use up the GB". That way I have increased what I can use.
Shows that you really do need to check your contracts and T&C's very carefully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back