Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Nice that people blame Stobarts alone.

what of
Norbert Dentressangle
Willie Betz Etc

Or is it just that always "someone else" is to blame for anything that's wrong in UK.

If I had a small shop I'd blame Wallymart, Tesco , Sainsbugs etc
or I could just supply a better quality service & bite the bullet.

:winky:
A1 transport Leeds started to do same thing in 1960s and early 70s
It all ended in tears if you can't make a profit your wasting your time
I have seen them all come on go from multi nationals to one man bands
All of them started with the big idea and no sound business plan
One bad week and they start chopping rates once chopped you never get it back

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The canals should be used more

The same engine HP can move 24 tons by road 600 ton by barge.

You cant blame the stobbart drivers [HI]
a lot are ex Army:ROFLMAO:

[/HI]O dear i would have deleated that but I have already posted it :ROFLMAO:

Mel

[HI]
Explain, please: what has that got to do with anything?
[/HI]

Canal transport in the quantities neing talked about is pie in the sky.
Canals dont go to distribution centres.
There isnt the canal infrastructure they have on the continent to accomodate barges which in size are almost sea going.
At the other end the goods still need road transport to deliver them.
In reality, we dont have a commercially viable canal system.
This isnt the 1800s. people dont want two week delivery cycles, they want it yesterday. Road transport is the only mode which can do that.
That's why road scores evry time over canal. (And, before someone comes up with it, rail also.)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
[HI]
Explain, please: what has that got to do with anything?
[/HI]

Canal transport in the quantities neing talked about is pie in the sky.
Canals dont go to distribution centres.
There isnt the canal infrastructure they have on the continent to accomodate barges which in size are almost sea going.
At the other end the goods still need road transport to deliver them.
In reality, we dont have a commercially viable canal system.
This isnt the 1800s. people dont want two week delivery cycles, they want it yesterday. Road transport is the only mode which can do that.
That's why road scores evry time over canal. (And, before someone comes up with it, rail also.)

It has nothing to do with it but i did think Shuggy would be the first one to bite:ROFLMAO:
Just shows it also took a lot longer than i expected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
It has nothing to do with it but i did think Shuggy would be the first one to bite:ROFLMAO:
Just shows it also took a lot longer than i expected.

Not "biting", just asked for clarification.

Just irrelevant crap, then?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Nothing wrong with Stobbarts, but we prefer Norberts::bigsmile:

For 28 years we have been keen "Norbert" spotters. We have a competition every time we are out. First to see one and shout NORBERT adds it to their tally, We even shout if we see one on telly. You've all seen them before, despite the name I think they are now a part Brit owned company and for every stobbart on the road it seems there are 10 Norberts. We have seen Norberts in almost every country we've been in, but the best counts are in UK, France and Spain.

1 point for every Norbert you see, 2 if your overtaking and 3 points if they are on a different road to you. In France, your likeley to find Norbert distribution centres which the family call "Norbert Nests", no matter how many Norberts in a nest you can only add ten to your tally.

Norbert spotting has kept us and the kids amused for tens of thousands of miles::bigsmile: They are not always in Red and "Norbert in Disguise" is two points:Smile:

Move over the big boys are commingBroken Link Removed
Daft as it may seem we have one of the biggest fan clubs world wide

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, ex army drivers are fround upon in many transport firms . they tend to be a bit hard on the trucks . also very heavy on the brakes .
i have driven for a few that wont take on ex army drivers .
many dont like ex army mechanics as well.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
No on said we dont need trucks.

Boats can be used for bulk products.
Rank hovis use barges for flour
As Paul {Hagnap} said tee

There are many products that can be moved by water.
There are also too many empty trucks running.
And the return load rates are far too low.

Too many trucks chasingtoo few loads thats what brings rates down.

But i have seen owner drivers also working for just the cost of the ferry to get back to the UK.

Its not an easy world for small haulage firms.

But it wont get any beter.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
hi, ex army drivers are fround upon in many transport firms . they tend to be a bit hard on the trucks . also very heavy on the brakes .
i have driven for a few that wont take on ex army drivers .
many dont like ex army mechanics as well.

Drivers and plant operators we have had them some good some crap
Mechanics never can't repair anything can't fault find only good for simple replacement jobs
Sorry guys

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Nothing wrong with Stobbarts, but we prefer Norberts::bigsmile:

For 28 years we have been keen "Norbert" spotters. We have a competition every time we are out. First to see one and shout NORBERT adds it to their tally, We even shout if we see one on telly. You've all seen them before, despite the name I think they are now a part Brit owned company and for every stobbart on the road it seems there are 10 Norberts. We have seen Norberts in almost every country we've been in, but the best counts are in UK, France and Spain.

1 point for every Norbert you see, 2 if your overtaking and 3 points if they are on a different road to you. In France, your likeley to find Norbert distribution centres which the family call "Norbert Nests", no matter how many Norberts in a nest you can only add ten to your tally.

Jim, I think next time we meet up, Nikki and I need to have a word with you and Sian :Cool:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
A1 transport Leeds started to do same thing in 1960s and early 70s
It all ended in tears if you can't make a profit your wasting your time
I have seen them all come on go from multi nationals to one man bands
All of them started with the big idea and no sound business plan
One bad week and they start chopping rates once chopped you never get it back

My father had a plant hire co in Tickhill
but cut rates have always caused devastation in the long run
no matter who thinks it a good idea at the time.:Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My father had a plant hire co in Tickhill
but cut rates have always caused devastation in the long run
no matter who thinks it a good idea at the time.:Doh:

I agree, but how does that fit in with your earlier post where you say if you were a small shop owner you wouldn't complain about Tesco etc but would offer a better service?

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
trucks

guys listien to me ok.theres nothing better 60mph acdc playing sitting on a 752 bhp lump pulling 23 ton no one else on the road its 3 oclock in the morning uve been away for 4 weeks heading for the boat pedel to the metel as I said theres drivers and screw drivers stobart boys most of them act like muppets Mark Dixon is the leader of the muppets:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I agree, but how does that fit in with your earlier post where you say if you were a small shop owner you wouldn't complain about Tesco etc but would offer a better service?

The business survived not because of cut rates but because of his own desire to provide a good service so really it ties in nicely thanks Chris.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The business survived not because of cut rates but because of his own desire to provide a good service so really it ties in nicely thanks Chris.

Thats good.

But why doesn't it apply equally to smaller hauliers offering a better service than Eddie Stobart?

Thats what I meant.

Deleted User
What Stobart did in the 80's was to offer a more efficient service, instead of haulage firms charging rates to cover empty running on the return journey ( which was what the nationalised BRS was meant to do.)

Scotland was always notorious for poor backload rates south from clearing houses and hauliers. Example, Manchester to Glasgow £500, backload £150 round trip £650. The company in Glasgow may well have charged there customer £400 for the load south.Stobart comes along offers to do the work direct for both primary customers for £400 north and £300 south, total £700 so £ 50 extra on the round trip.

Seems like rate cutting to the original hauliers but is basically more efficient and is why Stobarts grew so rapidly. Figures used are merely examples to show the point & not meant to be actual.The same thing had happened in the parcels business in the 70's and happened to pallet deliveries in the 90's.

Bulk deliveries should be moved by rail or canal but the infrastructure has largely been destroyed in the UK and the end journey will always be by road until somebody invents a transporter beam.:Smile:

Still think the programme is c**p and gives a totally unrealistic view of the industry I have been involved in for over 40 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
I work for this shower of shite and it is Embarrassing when people ask who do you work for. :Blush:
i have never watched the tv program because i know its a load of rubbish. all stobarts have done since they took over from our old firm is to cut wages mine are down by 12k in the 3 years since they took over.
but what do you do when there is nothing out there.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thats good.

But why doesn't it apply equally to smaller hauliers offering a better service than Eddie Stobart?

Thats what I meant.

have to give this up I think that's 3 times I agreed with you recently:ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
I work for this shower of shite and it is Embarrassing when people ask who do you work for. :Blush:
i have never watched the tv program because i know its a load of rubbish. all stobarts have done since they took over from our old firm is to cut wages mine are down by 12k in the 3 years since they took over.
but what do you do when there is nothing out there.

Would agree with you about wages but I don't think it is just Stobarts. Competition is keen in road haulage and there are many forces driving wages down. I am now retired but my son still operates as an OD and is making less now than 8 years ago.

As you say jobs, let alone good ones, are hard to find.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here in Shrewsbury there is a tosser who sits on a camping chair in the middle of a roundabout on the A5 !!!!!!:whatthe:

He has a placard that says Eddie Stobart watcher !:Doh:

What a Winker !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I hear you know a thing or two about roundabout occupants as well.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not them white boot girls .
mind some have gone on to red boots .mind i wonder if thats when they are taking orders .ha ha .
wasnt so many this year .think they are trying to clean them up . but we did see several waiting for buses in the wooded areas on camping chairs .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
have to give this up I think that's 3 times I agreed with you recently:ROFLMAO:

I guess we don't agree though upon how enjoyable Welsh rugby dominance has been over the last couple of years.::bigsmile:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Eddie Stobart trucks and trailers should not be allowed on the television
Its not a documentary, its a mockumentary

Fiona has only 3 minutes to make her slot at the hub or she could be set back 2 hours...........WHO CARES
Bed down have a kip on pay :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back