ECU failures (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
There seems to be a continual flood/ trickle of threads relating to ECU being killed that appear to be by low voltages. I have my SB on trickle charge from my Votronics solar charger. Registered in 18 but manufactered in NOV 16 , is SB now 5 years old.
HOW MUCH OF A problem is it 5% of Motorhomes 20%? Not known in White van world, no standing around.
There are plenty of folk with a lot more knowlege than me but if ECU are so sensitive to voltage why don't we have a separate battery to power ECUs and connected to main battery/ charging system when engine running. Is such a system available as a retrofit / feasible or just daft?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
my ignorance but what is SB?🤔
Starter Battery, I think. Sorry, I started reply in wrong place, so circumsized your question!

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Starter Battery, I think. Sorry, I started reply in wrong place, so circumsized your question!

Steve
Thanks marchie i think my brains gone blank should have guessed that🙄
There are plenty of folk with a lot more knowlege than me but if ECU are so sensitive to voltage why don't we have a separate battery to power ECUs and connected to main battery/ charging system when engine running. Is such a system available as a retrofit / feasible or just daft?
Surely most Motorhomes do have leisure batteries as well as starter batteries and a split charger or Battery to Battery charger that deals with both via alternator or solar as required mine does🤔😊

Last edited:
OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Surely most Motorhomes do have leisure batteries as well as starter batteries and a split charger or Battery to Battery charger that deals with both via alternator or solar as required mine does🤔😊
I think you have missed the point of the question.
Nothing to to do with LB lesuire or hab battery.
The question pherhaps badly phrased relates to using a regulated supply for ECU s to prevent premature failure of body , abs air bag ecus.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There seems to be a continual flood/ trickle of threads relating to ECU being killed that appear to be by low voltages. I have my SB on trickle charge from my Votronics solar charger. Registered in 18 but manufactered in NOV 16 , is SB now 5 years old.
HOW MUCH OF A problem is it 5% of Motorhomes 20%? Not known in White van world, no standing around.

We are not told what percentage of FIAT MHs in the UK have had airbag ECU module faults. What became significant was a shortage of replacement modules, so we can infer that it is a bigger problem than FIAT will admit though complainers can get some ex-gratia redress. I've also seen threads about airbag ECU failures on a French MH forum, and there is a French equivalent of Crashdata fixing modules that are repairable. I haven't looked at the equivalent situation in other countries like Germany and Italy because my language skills are lacking, but it would be surprising if their MHs are immune.

My belt-and-braces approach now includes putting my PVC on hookup the day before I want to drive it, to ensure the starter battery is fully charged. Waiting until all the warning lights have gone out, and keeping fingers crossed when finally I turn the key in the ignition to the third position.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
We are not told what percentage of FIAT MHs in the UK have had airbag ECU module faults. What became significant was a shortage of replacement modules, so we can infer that it is a bigger problem than FIAT will admit though complainers can get some ex-gratia redress. I've also seen threads about airbag ECU failures on a French MH forum, and there is a French equivalent ofwith multiecuscan Crashdata fixing modules that are repairable. I haven't looked at the equivalent situation in other countries like Germany and Italy because my language skills are lacking, but it would be surprising if their MHs are immune.

My belt-and-braces approach now includes putting my PVC on hookup the day before I want to drive it, to ensure the starter battery is fully charged. Waiting until all the warning lights have gone out, and keeping fingers crossed when finally I turn the key in the ignition to the third position.
Thanks for the info, as yet . i am more concerned a bit more than "other people are having this problem" due to having a wzrning on the dash display ( ne t time i might remember to take a picture) this has been whilst playing with cameras. Clear with multiecuscan, no problem untill ne t time (allready happened twice) . Battery always on trickle charge, so voltage Looks good (switched voltmeter in righthand cuby hole just above fuses)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for the info, as yet . i am more concerned a bit more than "other people are having this problem" due to having a wzrning on the dash display ( ne t time i might remember to take a picture) this has been whilst playing with cameras. Clear with multiecuscan, no problem untill ne t time (allready happened twice) . Battery always on trickle charge, so voltage Looks good (switched voltmeter in righthand cuby hole just above fuses)
I would be interested to know what your voltmeter reads while your starter motor is cranking a cold engine. Potentially that can show a significant voltage drop just as the airbag ECU is trying to communicate with the rest of the system, that might be responsible for a B0100-49 error code. [my theory]. A nominal 12.7v when there is no heavy current draw on the battery wouldn't tell enough about the true condition of an older battery.

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Unfortunately not a cold engine been out earlier.
Screenshot_20210807-184857_Torque.jpg

Hoping it would show control module voltage ps this was torq. Alfa obd available if it helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back