Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have been offered plenty of these new "Power Stations" to trial. I suppose they would love me to enthuse about them to thousands of Funsters, one even offered to pay me a pretty penny to do so!

But I already have one so much better.

It's a 220 Lithium affair. it's rigged to automatically charge via the sun, (unless you are in Wales :D ). it will auto charge from my engine and when I hookup it will charge itself without me having to do anything. That's not all the convenience, amazingly it's wired to deliver power to all my sockets and best of all, the components are built in and secured as opposed to having to secure a 20KG lump of machine every time I move the van.

No one loves a gadget more than me, but come on, I just can't see the point of these these Ecoflo Jackery Bluetti expensive battery boxes, they are just so inferior to what is already in most motorhomes.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Reading carefully between the lines, can I assume you have some reservations concerning these batteries in a box with attached charger and inverter?

No real reservations, I'm sure they are great gadgets for VDubbers and tenters, I've tried, but I just can't see the point for motorhome owners

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You will be becoming one these new ‘influencers’ we hear about😊

I suppose I have more audience than many of them.

But then I'm already a major influencer in many ways, encouraging others by example to wear Cotton Trader shorts from Valentines Day to Bonfire night for one thing, and some say I influenced Jason Stathums hairdresser (y)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

But then I'm already a major influencer in many ways, encouraging others by example to wear Cotton Trader shorts from Valentines Day to Bonfire night for one thing, and some say I influenced Jason Stathums hairdresser (y)
What did you make Jason Stathums hairdresser do commit HariKari with his scissors ? 🧔‍♀️🧔‍♀️🧔🧔👨‍🦳👨‍🦳🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲🧑‍🦲

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Jackery must have given hundreds of their kit away to various Youtubers as they are all plugging them. :rolleyes:
Must give you an indication of the profit they must make on the purchased jackets that they can give so many away 🥴

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Jackery must have given hundreds of their kit away to various Youtubers as they are all plugging them. :rolleyes:
I have watched a lot of the travel trolls and he has always got something he has had given to him, and he raves over them for a couple of times then you never see them again, cadac is a prime example.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have watched a lot of the travel trolls and he has always got something he has had given to him, and he raves over them for a couple of times then you never see them again, cadac is a prime example.
Don’t set me off on that ‘ham shanker’ why do 8 feel as though he leads the idiots who gave Motorhoming a very bad name? I watched his Irish trip videos and his arguments with the Garda was ridiculou, he was so close t9 getting locked up

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You will be becoming one these new ‘influencers’ we hear about😊
pleeeeze don't encourage him the sight of Jim with tattooed eyebrows and a trout pout is more than i could stand

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve not got one but met a few on sites who rave about them, they say they use them in the van, house, then when they’ve changed vans it’s so simple to stick it in the new van and away they go again, no expense of having expensive systems fitted.

Downside would be getting it nicked I suppose.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don’t set me off on that ‘ham shanker’ why do 8 feel as though he leads the idiots who gave Motorhoming a very bad name? I watched his Irish trip videos and his arguments with the Garda was ridiculou, he was so close t9 getting locked up
Agree, only watch it to see how much worse it can get, these and those happy days folks are just unbelievable.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

You made me wear cross and a dressing gown at Newark

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Agree, only watch it to see how much worse it can get, these and those happy days folks are just unbelievable.
The trouble is chaser by watching them, you are financially supporting them to carry on producing such rubbish.
Are we really supposed to believe the blonde wife in the trolls is not really as thick as she makes out? That its all an act for "Entertainment Purposes" he says.:unsure::rolleyes:
Aaaaw Baaaabes....Fank Cue for watchin us.:love:

There are some really good vloggers out there, great camera work, great content editing, joy to watch, even subscribe & Support that way, but no free coffees, or monthly subs from us.
all the best.
LES

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have an ecoflow, though have never watched travel trolls. My mh has a single leisure battery under seat with no room for more so I have an ecoflow I the garage, wired to currently just a single 240v socket in the hab area. It is also wired to charge from mains if on ehu, or 12v ie solar or engine running so provides a complete system in one box. Removing 3 plugs allows it to be used elsewhere, such as running hedge clipper in the garden or maintaining freezer in a power cut.
In need it could also recharge the mh batteries.
Just because it's recommended by a pillock doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have an ecoflow, though have never watched travel trolls. My mh has a single leisure battery under seat with no room for more so I have an ecoflow I the garage, wired to currently just a single 240v socket in the hab area. It is also wired to charge from mains if on ehu, or 12v ie solar or engine running so provides a complete system in one box. Removing 3 plugs allows it to be used elsewhere, such as running hedge clipper in the garden or maintaining freezer in a power cut.
Phew at last a review nice one, I was beginning to think this was a you tube thread.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Trouble is none of them do anything ‘properly’

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have both. A Bluetti and a motorhome with Li, inverter, and B2B. Without a doubt I find the installed motorhome extras more useful and I when I changed motorhomes the extras came with me. The Bluetti was bought for home use and I don’t usually carry it in the motorhome.

At home the Bluetti is used for charging our e-bikes. In the last year it has also been used twice in power cuts to keep my CPAP running and power the router. We rely on the router for communications having a very feeble mobile signal. My advice would be to buy a “Power Station” only if you have other needs for it but I don’t see it as an alternative to motorhome extras/modifications.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Surely if you have room for the Ecoflow you have room for another battery?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A sweeping statement. What is it that none of them do properly.
OK as you ask, but I promised I am really not having a pop at you, but we get asked about them daily. The suppliers intimate that they are an alternative to an installed system, which they are not, hence my statement that they don't do anything "properly"
I have an ecoflow I the garage, wired to currently just a single 240v socket in the hab area.
A properly installed system will provide mains power to the vehicle when not on hook up, and will support a low amperage site supply by supplying a "mix of inverted power and site power" to avoid tripping the site and finding a grumpy warden to re-set it. Also, fully installed the output is fully protected with a RCD and MCB's to avoid the user being able to electrocute themselves. I don't know exactly what model you have but most that we have evaluated have absolutely no protection for the AC output.

It is also wired to charge from mains if on ehu,
If your on EHU you wouldn't need to charge it anyway.
or 12v ie solar or engine running so provides a complete system in one box.
Most are DC charged using a cigarette socket, the absolute maximum that this type of plug / socket arrangement can handle is 10amps, if your unit is in the garage its just about as far away as possible from the engine battery. The voltage drop must be horrific, we would using 40mm2 section cable to even think about such a distance. Using my set up as an example, I have a 120 amp Sterling buck boost DC - DC charger. I drive one hour from one overnight stop to another and potentially can charge my Lithium batteries, your system you would have to drive 12 hours, even if you could actually charge at 10 amps.

Solar, most of these systems refer to being a "solar generator" some laughably show people on top of mountains, with an array of folding solar panels whilst they flood social media about their day! However, you have solar panels installed and you have them wired to your garage so that you can connect them to your "jack of all trade" battery in a box. As you say three quick plugs and you can remove the box, leaving you with no solar charge whatsoever! OK you could then connect another regulator, but what a lot of faffing around! My set up I have three 175 watt solar panels that will automatically look after my leisure batteries and my engine battery 365 days a year without a moments thought or input on my part.

Removing 3 plugs allows it to be used elsewhere, such as running hedge clipper in the garden or maintaining freezer in a power cut.
As would running an extension lead from the camper, but I agree that the portability is potentially useful, thinking primarily of kids camping in a tent or weekending in an unconverted van, which lets be honest is their intended use really.

So I was not saying that they are crap, far from it, but when asked the question is a properly installed set up better than a "Solar Generator" in a modern motorhome, the answer, in my opinion is an unequivocal yes.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not very satisfactory to have two batteries with 10m cable between them. There is no space anywhere adjacent.
Better to re-locate the battery, free up under seat storage and install two Lithium batteries in the garage. Our guys do it all the time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back