Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Hi There

We bought an Autotrail Dakota SE 2003 in Nov 5 and have not been anywhere in it YET due to lockdown #2 and #3. I have been slowly going through the hab area and electrics, rectifying a number of small issues/faults etc.

Two things I have noticed is that A) the EC200 (H) digital control panel shows the outside temperature is -29.3 degrees C. The unit was replaced in 2012 and has the ‘H’ specification. The inside temp seems to be recording correctly. B) The battery current display only shows 0.0amps even when the battery is in use. The manual says that only the H spec units will display battery current and mine is. Does it only record battery current when 240v hook up is disconnected? I have rebooted/reset the unit as per the EC200/PS2007 manual but no change. Is it likely to be the probe/sensor? I see from their website that Sargant sell new probes/sensors for £15 which according to one review will fit the EC200 although not made specifically for it. I have no idea where to find it to replace or is it likely to be the control panel itself?

Thanks for any replies/advice that wiser heads out there in MH land may have.

Paul

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not 100% certain but the external temperature may have been an optional extra and may not even be fitted. On later panels there is a feature for tank heaters but again it was there ready for an optional heater if fitted.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Probably the newer replacement unit has more functions than the original unit it replaced so may not have the outside temperature probe or the shunt fitted to it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Thanks Tonka and Brian
Yes I was wondering about both of your suggestions. They would make sense. The wiring loom was from 2003 and on further examination, it looks like the panel was repaired in 2018 not 2012 ( senior eyesight moment!!o_O ) so it is a modern upgrade but of course the corresponding sensors would not be there.

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
After checking the charging of the leisure and vehicle batteries, I am now sure the charging unit on the PSU2007/EC200 is kaput! A Sargent tekkie said they don't repair the EC200 anymore ( not what their website says). There is a company that does an exchange and get a refurbed one for £300 with a 1 year guarantee. A local motorhome dealership/service company told me refurbed/repaired ones don't last very long and not worth the effort or money so to replace it with the EC328 and matching control panel. Again if anyone can give me some further advice I would be grateful again.

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Geoff
Thanks for that. I have discussed it with Ross. His company does the exchange/refurb with upgrades option which is guaranteed for 1 year. I will consider it seriously with the other options.
Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have literally just rebuilt my psu2007. The reason I took it apart was the fan in the charger was very noisy and needed replacing.
My choices were to replace the fan in the ec200 or buy the upgraded fanless silent ec200 charger. I chose to just replace the fan.
While I was taking the psu2007 apart I found a capacitor on the circuit board was failed almost to the point of combustion so small mercies that I started the job.
I found a local company to repair and upgrade the circuit board and all in all the job was easy, it cost me 55 pounds all in, and now is working like a charm.
Take photos of what wires go where and you can't really go wrong.
I had the same response from sargent electrical which leaves you with a predicament, you can buy a new psu328 upgrade for not much more than the exchange unit you spoke of so long as your controller is the upgraded version.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
20201130_133935.jpg

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Emmenay

Thanks for that info. The fan has never run since I have own the MH. I don't have the skill to recognise component failure. I am still considering my options and your advice is valuable - thanks very much.

Paul

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
I have literally just rebuilt my psu2007. The reason I took it apart was the fan in the charger was very noisy and needed replacing.
My choices were to replace the fan in the ec200 or buy the upgraded fanless silent ec200 charger. I chose to just replace the fan.
While I was taking the psu2007 apart I found a capacitor on the circuit board was failed almost to the point of combustion so small mercies that I started the job.
I found a local company to repair and upgrade the circuit board and all in all the job was easy, it cost me 55 pounds all in, and now is working like a charm.
Take photos of what wires go where and you can't really go wrong.
I had the same response from sargent electrical which leaves you with a predicament, you can buy a new psu328 upgrade for not much more than the exchange unit you spoke of so long as your controller is the upgraded version.
Hello emmenay
Just reading you post with regards to repairing the fan in your ecu2007 unit. I Have the same problem was it a big job. Also my ec200 will not charge the vehicle battery when on hook up. Also have noticed when not on mains if I forgot to switch power of as soon as I start van it would shut down, it’s not doing that now. Is it time for a new ec200 ?? Have not tried the reset option yet, is this a case of unplugging the ec200 unit ?? Would appreciate your knowledge.
P. S. New member to site.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, changing the fan is an easy job, drill out the rivets to the casing of the psu2007, remove the ec200 charging unit simply by undoing the wires, open it up and swap the fan with a new similar fan. DEFINITELY visually check the main circuit board for evidence of component failure, ie, burn marks etc. If there are any problems with the board that you can see you will have a decision to make whether to repair or renew.
You say the ec 200 is not charging on hook up, that could also be a problem with the circuit board in the 2007, or could be as simple as the glass fuse in the ec200 blown, possibly due to a faulty fan?
I'm not sure about the 2007 switching off when you start the vehicle, have you checked the control panel when you start the engine, assuming its a swift it should say 'system off, engine running. If it doesn't it could be the relay under the bonnet has failed.
To be honest you have multiple problems and it may be easier to buy the updated version from sargent electrical, but word of warning, if its a swift, you will have to add the green water heater switch yourself somehow.
As an indication, the cost for me to replace the fan, replace the red charger switch and have the circuit board checked and components replaced came to no more than 60 pounds as opposed to 2 to 3 hundred.
Hope that helps.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Also forgot to say,

;bigwelcome:

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Hello emmenay
Thank you for your reply. I think I may have get my wires crossed a bit, it was the ec200 control panel that is not going off when I start the engine, and when I’m on hook up it will let me charge the vehicle battery, when I push the button. but this is not working. Do I take the wires out of the control unit to reset it. ??

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Ah, I think I understand now, the ec200 control panel should indeed switch off when you start the engine. Its very common to have to unplug the unit from behind to reset it.
If that does not work it could well be the switching relay under the bonnet, I have changed mine a couple of times before now.
Maybe its also causing the control panel to not switch over to the engine battery.

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Hi Emmenay
Music to my ears, will get the van out today and have a wiggle.
since lockdown the one who has to be obeyed is a keen dancer and not been able too. Maybe she will have a wiggle with me. LoL
Thanks for your time. Will let you know my findings.

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Hi, changing the fan is an easy job, drill out the rivets to the casing of the psu2007, remove the ec200 charging unit simply by undoing the wires, open it up and swap the fan with a new similar fan. DEFINITELY visually check the main circuit board for evidence of component failure, ie, burn marks etc. If there are any problems with the board that you can see you will have a decision to make whether to repair or renew.
You say the ec 200 is not charging on hook up, that could also be a problem with the circuit board in the 2007, or could be as simple as the glass fuse in the ec200 blown, possibly due to a faulty fan?
I'm not sure about the 2007 switching off when you start the vehicle, have you checked the control panel when you start the engine, assuming its a swift it should say 'system off, engine running. If it doesn't it could be the relay under the bonnet has failed.
To be honest you have multiple problems and it may be easier to buy the updated version from sargent electrical, but word of warning, if its a swift, you will have to add the green water heater switch yourself somehow.
As an indication, the cost for me to replace the fan, replace the red charger switch and have the circuit board checked and components replaced came to no more than 60 pounds as opposed to 2 to 3 hundred.
Hope that helps.
Hello emmenay
Thought I would give you an up date. Have booked the van in at Apuljack, going to replace the ec200 and the control panel. The leisure battery stopped charging when I took it out but was fine on ehu. So decided to bite the bullet.
I have the van booked in for mot on Tuesday so fingers crossed there, looked at last mot and a have not covered a 1000 miles in the last year, so I think I will forget the service this year. Had the van booked in to have the wheels refurbished in April but got a phone call Friday morning to see if I could get it there that afternoon, so hopefully they will be finished by Monday afternoon to get it in for mot. Then I get a call from a company we’re I ordered new over cab decals to replace the old ones.
apparently they are having problems sizing them and asked me to measure them up, and in return they would supply FOC. Just hope my wobbly ladder holds up lol.
Hopefully that leaves just one more job to do this year ( which I’m not looking forward too) is cutting and polishing the GRP, going to use 3m marine system this time, so see how that goes, have a week off at the end of the month so hopefully the weather will be kind.
So hopefully will be all ship shape for the season. Take care of you’re selfs mark.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hello emmenay
Thought I would give you an up date. Have booked the van in at Apuljack, going to replace the ec200 and the control panel. The leisure battery stopped charging when I took it out but was fine on ehu. So decided to bite the bullet.
I have the van booked in for mot on Tuesday so fingers crossed there, looked at last mot and a have not covered a 1000 miles in the last year, so I think I will forget the service this year. Had the van booked in to have the wheels refurbished in April but got a phone call Friday morning to see if I could get it there that afternoon, so hopefully they will be finished by Monday afternoon to get it in for mot. Then I get a call from a company we’re I ordered new over cab decals to replace the old ones.
apparently they are having problems sizing them and asked me to measure them up, and in return they would supply FOC. Just hope my wobbly ladder holds up lol.
Hopefully that leaves just one more job to do this year ( which I’m not looking forward too) is cutting and polishing the GRP, going to use 3m marine system this time, so see how that goes, have a week off at the end of the month so hopefully the weather will be kind.
So hopefully will be all ship shape for the season. Take care of you’re selfs mark.
Total aside to your electrical fun and games, can I suggest, if you haven’t thought about it, before your Mot give your van a good 1 to 2 hour run some on Motorway to clear the Exhaust system and make sure DPF is clear. My garage has warned me to do this before mine goes for its 1st MOT next month. Good luck.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the update kontikimark it seems we are going through the same list of jobs. I would be very interested in the outcome with the overcab decals as mine have started to peel away and look quite awful.
I bought myself a DA polisher a couple of years ago and spent a week cutting and polishing the bodywork and while they will never be a showroom finish it certainly has made life easier since.
I have been having talks with a local wheel refurbishment place an intend getting mine done ASAP. Some photos of yours when they are done would be nice.
Good luck with the power unit, at least it will be a fresh start with no worries in future.

Emmenay.

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Thanks for the update kontikimark it seems we are going through the same list of jobs. I would be very interested in the outcome with the overcab decals as mine have started to peel away and look quite awful.
I bought myself a DA polisher a couple of years ago and spent a week cutting and polishing the bodywork and while they will never be a showroom finish it certainly has made life easier since.
I have been having talks with a local wheel refurbishment place an intend getting mine done ASAP. Some photos of yours when they are done would be nice.
Good luck with the power unit, at least it will be a fresh start with no worries in future.

Emmenay.
Morning Emmenay
Will send pictures. Have been told they will not be show room condition as they were very badly pitted, but could not find a replacement ones the same. Should’ve taken pictures before, they were very bad. Will let you know outcome on decals.
mark

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Hello emmenay
Van got its mot today, just had to release rear breaks. And as for the wheels I’m really happy with the results. Pictures are not the best, the worst part of the wheels is round the valve. The other marks are shadows from the sun.

Attachments

• 4527BC17-9D82-4359-98D7-9094208A108B.jpeg
    4527BC17-9D82-4359-98D7-9094208A108B.jpeg
    489 KB · Views: 13
  • AD6A32AA-6D87-4CED-A148-E984CE055471.jpeg
    AD6A32AA-6D87-4CED-A148-E984CE055471.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 13

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Now they do look nice, it just highlights to me how bad mine really are.
Appreciate the update.
(Ps let us know how you get on with the decals if you don't mind 👍)

Mar 9, 2021
Puriton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 615
Exp
Motorhoming for 25 years
Hello Emmenay
Thought I would give you an update on the van, decals for the overcab, well it’s been a ordeal.
ordered on line to get a email back two days later stating they were having issues with sizing and could I send templates, which I did. That was the 8th of March. Long story short and several scaffold erections
The decals arrived. Wrong. The dot vignette to the side panels he could not reproduce so it’s just a dot pattern (fine i could live that)
But he printed the front in dot patten, so back to the printers. And the other job which needed doing was the cut and polish, which went extremely well but it took 3 days to do. But still have the over cab to do when the decals arrive. Van booked for 18th at Apuljack for both units, which a had a email yesterday to pay for the units before it get fitted. Which left me with a bitter taste. So that’s were we are at the moment.
mark

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Mark
I wonder if they have had some issues with folk not paying up. Sad reflection of the times I'm afraid.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back