EC200/PS2007 Problems

Nov 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There

We bought an Autotrail Dakota SE 2003 in Nov 5 and have not been anywhere in it YET due to lockdown #2 and #3. I have been slowly going through the hab area and electrics, rectifying a number of small issues/faults etc.

Two things I have noticed is that A) the EC200 (H) digital control panel shows the outside temperature is -29.3 degrees C. The unit was replaced in 2012 and has the ‘H’ specification. The inside temp seems to be recording correctly. B) The battery current display only shows 0.0amps even when the battery is in use. The manual says that only the H spec units will display battery current and mine is. Does it only record battery current when 240v hook up is disconnected? I have rebooted/reset the unit as per the EC200/PS2007 manual but no change. Is it likely to be the probe/sensor? I see from their website that Sargant sell new probes/sensors for £15 which according to one review will fit the EC200 although not made specifically for it. I have no idea where to find it to replace or is it likely to be the control panel itself?

Thanks for any replies/advice that wiser heads out there in MH land may have.

Paul

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not 100% certain but the external temperature may have been an optional extra and may not even be fitted. On later panels there is a feature for tank heaters but again it was there ready for an optional heater if fitted.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Probably the newer replacement unit has more functions than the original unit it replaced so may not have the outside temperature probe or the shunt fitted to it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Tonka and Brian
Yes I was wondering about both of your suggestions. They would make sense. The wiring loom was from 2003 and on further examination, it looks like the panel was repaired in 2018 not 2012 ( senior eyesight moment!!o_O ) so it is a modern upgrade but of course the corresponding sensors would not be there.

OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
After checking the charging of the leisure and vehicle batteries, I am now sure the charging unit on the PSU2007/EC200 is kaput! A Sargent tekkie said they don't repair the EC200 anymore ( not what their website says). There is a company that does an exchange and get a refurbed one for £300 with a 1 year guarantee. A local motorhome dealership/service company told me refurbed/repaired ones don't last very long and not worth the effort or money so to replace it with the EC328 and matching control panel. Again if anyone can give me some further advice I would be grateful again.

OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Geoff
Thanks for that. I have discussed it with Ross. His company does the exchange/refurb with upgrades option which is guaranteed for 1 year. I will consider it seriously with the other options.
Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have literally just rebuilt my psu2007. The reason I took it apart was the fan in the charger was very noisy and needed replacing.
My choices were to replace the fan in the ec200 or buy the upgraded fanless silent ec200 charger. I chose to just replace the fan.
While I was taking the psu2007 apart I found a capacitor on the circuit board was failed almost to the point of combustion so small mercies that I started the job.
I found a local company to repair and upgrade the circuit board and all in all the job was easy, it cost me 55 pounds all in, and now is working like a charm.
Take photos of what wires go where and you can't really go wrong.
I had the same response from sargent electrical which leaves you with a predicament, you can buy a new psu328 upgrade for not much more than the exchange unit you spoke of so long as your controller is the upgraded version.

Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
20201130_133935.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Emmenay

Thanks for that info. The fan has never run since I have own the MH. I don't have the skill to recognise component failure. I am still considering my options and your advice is valuable - thanks very much.

Paul

Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Passionate about energy
West Country Motorhomes