Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
A nurse in Texas just confirmed infected with Ebola, she had been treating a patient last week who has died and test carried out today confirm she had the virus (how many people has been in contact with since last week, a lot I would think)
Bearing in mind she will have had the best and latest protection equipment available and taken ever precaution to ensue she was safe yet she has still contracted the virus
Maybe it's time to stop all travel to and from infected countries because it's clear we DO NOT fully understand the virus and how it mutates and if we are not careful we could end up in serious trouble in this country with devastating consequences
Dickhead dave needs to act now instead of sitting on his hands telling us everything will be ok, it won't
He as always been reactive instead of proactive in his decision so far

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The medical staff treating ebola patients have my utmost respect. True to the long traditions of their craft.

However, until we know how the nurse in Texas was infected I don't see what anyone can do that they aren't doing already. The screening of people coming into Heathrow has already been branded a political gesture as there are no direct flights from some of the worst effected countries into the UK.

So what do we do? Close all airports and all sea ports?

I fear the nurse in Texas probably made a simple error, possibly when coming off shift and when removing protective clothing. You can have the best protection available but the challenge comes when, for example, you want a drink of water or a loo break.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
i
The medical staff treating ebola patients have my utmost respect. True to the long traditions of their craft.

However, until we know how the nurse in Texas was infected I don't see what anyone can do that they aren't doing already. The screening of people coming into Heathrow has already been branded a political gesture as there are no direct flights from some of the worst effected countries into the UK.

So what do we do? Close all airports and all sea ports?

I fear the nurse in Texas probably made a simple error, possibly when coming off shift and when removing protective clothing. You can have the best protection available but the challenge comes when, for example, you want a drink of water or a loo break.
Your right it is possible she made an error, however it's just as possible it can be transmitted in other ways that we are not aware of yet
I concur with you regarding the medical staff, however as regards what to do I think we could do more such as quarantining everyone who wants to travel here from infected countries (we used to do it with dogs) until we are sure they are not carrying the virus the current method is complety inadequate as you say

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i

Your right it is possible she made an error, however it's just as possible it can be transmitted in other ways that we are not aware of yet
I concur with you regarding the medical staff, however as regards what to do I think we could do more such as quarantining everyone who wants to travel here from infected countries (we used to do it with dogs) until we are sure they are not carrying the virus the current method is complety inadequate as you say
But the problem is no one is coming directly from some of the infected countries to the UK. They are flying to Paris or perhaps Schiphol and then what? How do you manage if they get on a train to the UK? And what about the people they might infect in say Paris. Short of literally sealing the borders I don't see much can be done that isn't being done already. There is no way of detecting if someone is infected unless they are showing symptoms and even then there would be a lot of false alarms.

The answer is to tackle the source and some brave folk are doing that and some of them are paying with their lives.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There's Ebola in Spain too, do we stop going to and from there as well?
From memory about 5 people are killed on UK roads every day.

I'm not sure what the figure is for Spain but I think the risk of a road accident killing you is significantly higher than catching ebola.

To reinforce the need for a sense of proportion, the total numbers of reported fatalities in the current ebola outbreak are about the same as are killed on UK roads every 3 months.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if it get's in to some of the hige rise ghettos London Manchester or any of the major city's it could spread like wild fire
but it's ok call me Dave has it in hand.:rofl::rofl:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Well I'm taking no chances when we drive down to Benidorm next week.
ebola.jpg

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Po
From memory about 5 people are killed on UK roads every day.

I'm not sure what the figure is for Spain but I think the risk of a road accident killing you is significantly higher than catching ebola.

To reinforce the need for a sense of proportion, the total numbers of reported fatalities in the current ebola outbreak are about the same as are killed on UK roads every 3 months.

Poor analogy, when someone gets killed by/in a car, the car doesn't carry on killing more people

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But the problem is no one is coming directly from some of the infected countries to the UK. They are flying to Paris or perhaps Schiphol and then what? How do you manage if they get on a train to the UK? And what about the people they might infect in say Paris. Short of literally sealing the borders I don't see much can be done that isn't being done already. There is no way of detecting if someone is infected unless they are showing symptoms and even then there would be a lot of false alarms.

The answer is to tackle the source and some brave folk are doing that and some of them are paying with their lives.
Fair comment but even if they are traveling from other countries,as you point out, we are still aware of where they started there journey so it could be managed in this way which has got to be better than a free for all which is basically what's happening now in reality
As regards to not detecting the virus that's why I suggested quartine harsh but neccessary IMO
But your right very diffcult to manage but I feel we must do more or at least try
What happens if we can't tackle it at source ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you might not know where they started from . many countries dont stamp passports if there is a problem or folk lose passports etc . there was a problem with having israel stamp so they did it on a piece of paper if you asked . you can get a new passport in many countries even if you want a uk one .
we dont know who as entered any country .

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There's Ebola in Spain too, do we stop going to and from there as well?
If need be yes, otherwise the alternative is to have a virus, for which there is no vaccine for, in our country
I wish i had the answer or a solution but we don't but what we are doing at present seems inadequate people are traveling to and from the infected countries with very few safeguards in place

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bearing in mind she will have had the best and latest protection equipment available

Don't bet on that. I saw the "isolation" room in a Tacoma hospital. They were very proud of it and I thought it woefully inadequate.

Yes it was a negative pressure room but there was no protocol for changing the air filters for the air going out of the room, getting supplies in was via a "pass through" cupboard with no seals on the inner door.

These were just two of the very obvious problems.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
In the next 18 months more people will be killed by flu than anything like the worst statistics of Ebola.

That's a fact, live life and enjoy..?

You never know how longs left anyway

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
you might not know where they started from . many countries dont stamp passports if there is a problem or folk lose passports etc . there was a problem with having israel stamp so they did it on a piece of paper if you asked . you can get a new passport in many countries even if you want a uk one .
we dont know who as entered any country .
ok, then all European countries should put in place a system where people are coming from, difficult but possible and that's what will be required at the end of the day if there is an outbreak in Europe

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Don't bet on that. I saw the "isolation" room in a Tacoma hospital. They were very proud of it and I thought it woefully inadequate.

Yes it was a negative pressure room but there was no protocol for changing the air filters for the air going out of the room, getting supplies in was via a "pass through" cupboard with no seals on the inner door.

These were just two of the very obvious problems.
Good point, but that just confirms how dangerous the virus is and how little we know about it
And all this is a developed country with supposedly some of the best brains/doctors in the world

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I am very concerned regarding the trivial way in which lethal killer is being viewed. Ebola kills between 50% and 90% of the infected and has an incubation period from 5 to 21 days. You can meet a lot of people in 21 days and travel a lot of miles. The only way IMHO is total lock down which is now virtually impossible. I wonder what the politicians will say when the death toll in the UK hits a couple of hundred.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
In the next 18 months more people will be killed by flu than anything like the worst statistics of Ebola.

That's a fact, live life and enjoy..?

You never know how longs left anyway
agreed and i do live life and enjoy
Let's hope your right haganap

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Good point, but that just confirms how dangerous the virus is and how little we know about it
And all this is a developed country with supposedly some of the best brains/doctors in the world

And how little the US regards the risk.

I was the infection control person when I was in my last job in a health care charity so know a little bit about control of the spread of infection. At Tacoma they hadn't even considered double gloving.......

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am very concerned regarding the trivial way in which lethal killer is being viewed. Ebola kills between 50% and 90% of the infected and has an incubation period from 5 to 21 days. You can meet a lot of people in 21 days and travel a lot of miles. The only way IMHO is total lock down which is now virtually impossible. I wonder what the politicians will say when the death toll in the UK hits a couple of hundred.
and mixed with flue in the winter wonder if those to viruses would gang up
bill

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
And how little the US regards the risk.

I was the infection control person when I was in my last job in a health care charity so know a little bit about control of the spread of infection. At Tacoma they hadn't even considered double gloving.......
Worrying don't you think?
I think the citizens of the USA are concerned but there government like ours seem to be a little contrary about the suitation. Let's hope there right and am/us are wrong

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am very concerned regarding the trivial way in which lethal killer is being viewed.

I don't think anyone is trying to trivialise the matter, just bring in a sense of proportion.

Ebola is quite hard to catch, it isn't like flu or the common cold and the deaths so far reported are amongst health workers treating those already infected apart from one or two who have returned from the infected region.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I don't think anyone is trying to trivialise the matter, just bring in a sense of proportion.

Ebola is quite hard to catch, it isn't like flu or the common cold and the deaths so far reported are amongst health workers treating those already infected apart from one or two who have returned from the infected region.
Are you sure, not convinced we know enough about the virus yet only time will tell if we can control it, bearing in mind we can't control the flu never mind flubola ( discovered by schojac on this forum no less)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back