Ebola threat (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They may have got it wrong to how you can catch it, nurses getting it after wearing protective gear etc and treating ebola patients.

Its hardly like HIV which IS transmitted by body fluids, you have to have sex with someone or share a needle etc to catch that.

Paul.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If this thing takes a hold, we are in trouble. It's not like mad cows disease, deaths in car crashes, etc. It is easily passed from victim to victim, you won't know who has it and it has an unbelievably high mortality rate. There will be panic, infected people will be treated like lepers, far worse than anyone who had AIDS when it first appeared. Unless they find a treatment or vaccination quickly I really am worried. And the older, or less important in the grand scheme of things, you are the further down the pecking order you will be. I'm amazed it's taken so many years to get to this stage.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
ps I'm currently watching the latest series of The Walking Dead, going to try and pick up some survival hints n tips (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If this thing takes a hold, we are in trouble. It's not like mad cows disease, deaths in car crashes, etc. It is easily passed from victim to victim, you won't know who has it and it has an unbelievably high mortality rate. There will be panic, infected people will be treated like lepers, far worse than anyone who had AIDS when it first appeared. Unless they find a treatment or vaccination quickly I really am worried. And the older, or less important in the grand scheme of things, you are the further down the pecking order you will be. I'm amazed it's taken so many years to get to this stage.
Best post tonight on this.....:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: SMB
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did anyone see on the news tonight of someone being put on a plane by fully suited people with a bloke following them with a clip board in shirt sleeves, what the f... Was all that about

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Did anyone see on the news tonight of someone being put on a plane by fully suited people with a bloke following them with a clip board in shirt sleeves, what the f... Was all that about
That's why it's going to go through The States like a Jap bomber at Pearl Harbour........:(:(

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think the government must have got their paperwork mixed up, combat troops to fight Embola, Humanitarian aid to Syria?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I feel some of you might feel happier if you stopped watching/listening to/reading
the "News".

It seems to be causing you too much stress...

JJ :cool:
Quite right, Mr JJ, however, I do hear that you could catch this bug whilst say attending an inferior football match at The City of Manchester Stadium.......:)(y)(y)

Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I feel some of you might feel happier if you stopped watching/listening to/reading
the "News".

It seems to be causing you too much stress...

JJ :cool:
At least it's something to get stressed out about JJ, unlike lots of things we tend to get wound up about
The worry is that the clowns in charge seem to think everything is going to be ok, because they have dealt with ONE case successfully, unfortunately if the shit does hit the fan, which is likely if they don't stop people coming from infected countries, then faced with numerous cases not so sure we are ready
All I hear when Cameron speaks is sound bites from the tit, nothing with any substance or meaningful just PR talk
I just hope he's aware of the danger that awaits if he's not switched on, unfortunately I don't think he is JJ that's why we should be worried
Personally I think he is a reactive sort of person rather than a proactive type and in this case that could be a bad thing, time will tell let's hope we are wrong
Remember the saying fail to prepare perpare to fail
By the way do you go to the council house to watch the bitters

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
At least it's something to get stressed out about JJ, unlike lots of things we tend to get wound up about
The worry is that the clowns in charge seem to think everything is going to be ok, because they have dealt with ONE case successfully, unfortunately if the shit does hit the fan, which is likely if they don't stop people coming from infected countries, then faced with numerous cases not so sure we are ready
All I hear when Cameron speaks is sound bites from the tit, nothing with any substance or meaningful just PR talk
I just hope he's aware of the danger that awaits if he's not switched on, unfortunately I don't think he is JJ that's why we should be worried
Personally I think he is a reactive sort of person rather than a proactive type and in this case that could be a bad thing, time will tell let's hope we are wrong
Remember the saying fail to prepare perpare to fail
By the way do you go to the council house to watch the bitters
Yes, and I have a fiver to say that no one in either Buk Pal, nor Westminster, will ever catch it.......(y)

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Even the WHO are now stating how they have underestimated the potential threat of this disease and that action was too little and too late.

So that's who we will all blame; pass the buck :)

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes, and I have a fiver to say that no one in either Buk Pal, nor Westminster, will ever catch it.......(y)
Spot on tootles they will be somewhere else, unless there is nowhere to go if it gets a grip

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Anyone see the Sky news yesterday when they "tested" the screening at Heathrow for arrivals who had travelled from infected Countries?? Neither of the test subjects were stopped even to be asked questions !!!!

It's a joke !!! But there again, anything to do with border controls to this Country is a joke.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most countries border controls are a joke . uk isnt alone .
you may get held up in many a country but they are almost all crap.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Time for some facts, me thinks.

This is part of the EVIDENCE BASED guidelines issued to GP's in England and Wales on 14th October.

Ebola transmission

Unlike infections like ‘flu or measles, which can be spread by virus particles that remain in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, transmission of Ebola from person to person is by direct contact with the blood or body fluids (e.g. saliva, vomitus, urine, stool and semen) of a symptomatic infected person. This means that the body fluids from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose or mouth, or an open cut, wound or abrasion. There is no evidence of transmission of Ebola virus through intact skin or through small droplet spread, such as coughing or sneezing.

Infection can also occur if broken skin or mucous membranes of a healthy person come into contact with environments that have become contaminated with an Ebola patient’s infectious fluids (saliva, vomitus, urine, stool or semen) such as soiled clothing, bed linen, or used needles. The likelihood of contracting Ebola is considered low unless there has been this type of specific exposure. Ebola virus is not spread through routine, social contact (such as shaking hands or sitting next to someone) with asymptomatic individuals. People who have had social contact with symptomatic individuals with confirmed Ebola infection should be followed up as a contact through the local Health Protection Team.

The Ebola virus is not a robust virus, and is readily inactivated, for example, by soap and water or by alcohol.

Lorraine x

Reactions: DBK
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The asking of questions at point of entry is a total waste, the bloke who carried Ebola to the U.S. Was asked questions to which he replied in the negative, it was consequently proved that he had lied. If I had been him I would have done the same as my chance of survival ( he didn't) is far higher in the US than from where he came from

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Mmm well not long ago it was aids then bird flu nows its IS or ebola,
Well what ever we will survive
Spain , Morrocco were coming

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Broken Link Removed if you are correct with the transmission type why has a nurse caught it wearing the full monty gear

These viruses mutate that's their nature so anything may have changed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Broken Link Removed if you are correct with the transmission type why has a nurse caught it wearing the full monty gear

These viruses mutate that's their nature so anything may have changed
She almost certainly caught it by making a mistake when taking the protective kit off.

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Dare I ask.....can it be transmitted from an open grey water tap on a motorhome ?:LOL:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
She almost certainly caught it by making a mistake when taking the protective kit off.

Confirmed by the hospital - protocol was not followed when disposing of the protective equipment. It may not be spread easily but tell that to the expected 10000 expected next month in Africa.

The issue here is that the countries concerned have little wealth and therefore come well down the list of western countries when it comes to aid. Also, drug companies have never invested in a vaccine as there's no money in that either.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think that this one is going to be the new black death a serious public heath risk
wait till it hits London Birmingham or Manchester
living in your van with a shot gun to shoot any one who comes within ten yards of your van were all dooooooooooooomed :Eeek:
bill

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My understanding is that a person with Ebola is not contagious until they show symptoms and even then you have to physically be contaminated by blood, vomit, diahorrea, or other body fluids. The Spanish nurse became infected when she scratched or rubbed her face when taking off her protective suit. Apparently, protocol in the UK means that you are sprayed with chlorine whilst removing the suits. Sounds like a very uncomfortable process. I think we need to be careful and doubly vigilant with hygiene.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Time for some facts, me thinks.

This is part of the EVIDENCE BASED guidelines issued to GP's in England and Wales on 14th October.

Ebola transmission

Unlike infections like ‘flu or measles, which can be spread by virus particles that remain in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, transmission of Ebola from person to person is by direct contact with the blood or body fluids (e.g. saliva, vomitus, urine, stool and semen) of a symptomatic infected person. This means that the body fluids from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose or mouth, or an open cut, wound or abrasion. There is no evidence of transmission of Ebola virus through intact skin or through small droplet spread, such as coughing or sneezing.

Infection can also occur if broken skin or mucous membranes of a healthy person come into contact with environments that have become contaminated with an Ebola patient’s infectious fluids (saliva, vomitus, urine, stool or semen) such as soiled clothing, bed linen, or used needles. The likelihood of contracting Ebola is considered low unless there has been this type of specific exposure. Ebola virus is not spread through routine, social contact (such as shaking hands or sitting next to someone) with asymptomatic individuals. People who have had social contact with symptomatic individuals with confirmed Ebola infection should be followed up as a contact through the local Health Protection Team.

The Ebola virus is not a robust virus, and is readily inactivated, for example, by soap and water or by alcohol.

Lorraine x
If it's readily inactivated by soap just send a load of imperial leather out there , but me thinks there's more to than that Lorraine
From what I've seen and heard the EXPERTS don't really know everthing about this virus and if soap sorts it out why have over 5,000 been killed and increasing as we speak
The WHO estimate 10,000 cases a week with a mortality rate of 70% (the same experts were saying 50% a couple of weeks ago) and the nurse who contracted the virus in USA had all the neccessary PPE available yet still got it

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Interesting how they haven't told us how she contracted the virus, maybe there worried about how the virus works and don't want to cause a panic just imagine what would happen if they said it was airborne

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
In 2000 Uganda had an outbreak and 224 people died, what's changed in 14 years with the virus that's now claimed over 5000 with an estimated 10,000 cases a month with a mortality rate of 70%

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
In 2000 Uganda had an outbreak and 224 people died, what's changed in 14 years with the virus that's now claimed over 5000 with an estimated 10,000 cases a month with a mortality rate of 70%

I've not read all the way through this.
But. On the news and other program's I've seen . It's all down to washing, keeping clean.
So they say. That's why it's rife over there.
If it came over here , we wash , shower, bath, clean and disinfect our houses.
They don't in the villages out in Africa. That's why it's rife. That's why it's spreading.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back