EBL101 and NON Schaudt controller (1 Viewer)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Soon to pick up new to us van with EBL101. Have read lots and it seems only the Schaudt LR1218 controller can be used with the EBL101. Comments are that EBL may shut down or fail. Why? ON EBL 101 diagram solar input, aux charger and mains charger output are all commoned inside the EBL. I would like to fit MPPT controller to get better low light output and also be able to accept solar panel with higher open circuit voltage than 25v LR1218 can accept. Appreciate display wont give me solar info, also no engine battery charging but I can live with that. Am hoping someone has been here before.
So specific question is WHY cant I use any MPPT 12v controller plugged into EBL101 solar socket for Hab battery ( socket 3f bl6 pins 1 & 3 )

Thanks in advance, Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The people in the UK who seem to know more about Schaudt systems than any other business I have discovered are A&N Caravan Services. Here is their webpage regarding use of solar regulators with EBLs. You will note that any regulator can be used with the earlier EBL99 / 100 but they specify the LR1218 for the EBL 101 / 220 / 264.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php
I suggest you contact them to ask your question. Perhaps they can explain why other regulators cause problems.
Also, Dave Newell (Funster trader) reported a few weeks ago that he had experienced problems with non-Schaudt regulators and a recent model EBL - cured by swapping the regulator for an LR1218.

I have an EBL99 coupled to an LR1218 and it works very well with a 135W panel; I realise you want to fit more.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Thanks for info. I swopped emails with A and N today.
Non Schaudt controller does not have data link so ebl101 controller cannot display solar charging. Having open circuit voltage of 45v means if controller is not quick spike may be sent to ebl causing expensive problems, so better to have std panel with open cct volts around 25v as per Schaudt controller. Main shunt ( ammeter ) in EBL101 for leisure battery will see charge/discharge from non Schaudt controller but apparently ebl101 looks at voltage too and it might get confused with non schaudt, this I dont understand. Anyone explain it better please?
Thanks, Martin
ps also suggested as open cct of 45v means a "house" solar panel it might not be robust enough for roof of motorhome, it would be physically larger...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have an EBL 220 with LR 1218 controller no problems with 220 watts of panels.

If you are wanting more battery power for running inverters and such if you have a separate battery bank just for that, not connected to the hab / cab batteries you can use what ever reg you want.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Soon to pick up new to us van with EBL101. Have read lots and it seems only the Schaudt LR1218 controller can be used with the EBL101.

This seems to be true for most non-Schault controllers for Schault EBL units with model numbers of 100 & up.

However:-

1. The matched pair of the LR1218 controller & any Schault EBL unit should perform better than with any other non-MPPT controller. The Schault unit already has a degree of voltage uplift when using the alternator output for battery charging & it uses the same technology to get the best out of the solar panels via the LR1218. So the gain by using a MPPT controller isn't as great as might be expected, because the LR1218/EBL pairing is already an improvement over a standard non-MPPT controller.

2. Although Schault don't do a MPPT controller to go with their units, Votronic make one with the necessary lead to supply an EBL with the required information.

See http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en...ndard-version-mpp/mpp-250-duo-dig#description

Look at the Accessories tab for the lead.

You might want to check that it is designed to work with your specific model - it just says EBL in general. You might also want to check with Schault that they also agree that it will be suitable. You will know from the A&N pages that Udo Lang is the man to contact.

Although the Votronic unit is designed to charge both the habitation & the starter batteries, you wouldn't wire it like that when linked to an EBL. You would just connect the main output to the EBL & let the EBL split the output between the batteries.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
To give an idea of what to expect in practical usage, I have a 135W Kyocera panel fed through a LR1218 to an EBL99, charging 2x110Ah Elcsol batteries (and the Bosch starter battery).
We have just returned from 5 nights in fair weather (quite a lot of sun and some cloud). We used a TV and tuner - maybe 3 hours per night (12V) plus lighting (a mix of LED and fluorescent). We did not hook up to 230V (hardly ever do). By noon each day, all battery banks were recharged and showing the float charge of 14.1V which is what the LR1218 'rests' at. The system typically charges at around 4-5 amps in good weather - sometimes higher in clear overhead sun. But then it starts working long before we are awake so if one assumes 10 hours of good charging time, that is 40-50 amps back into the batteries. Unless you need to power heavy consumers from an inverter (e.g. hair dryer) that should be ample to restore an evening's usage.
Between April/May and October we do not need to hook up. In the depths of winter, one would need a huge solar array to have any chance of maintaining battery charge so in practice, a 230V feed is essential for more than about 2 or 3 nights - depending on temperature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I emailed Udo Lang at Schaudt today. Email is below but he says you can fit non schaudt controller without data link and system will work ok. If data link is availble also ok.
Thanks for info re Votronic, that seems to fit the bill for me since it can connect to starter and leisure batt via front of EBL101,is MPPT and VOC 50v.

Ludo added his answer behind each question I asked.

Dear Martin,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Martin Lonsdale [mailto:lonsdale.martin@yahoo.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 18. Juni 2014 12:04
An: Lang, Udo
Betreff: EBL101 Solar Charger / Aux charger

Udo, many thanks for reading this email.

I am about to buy motorhome with an Electrobloc 101 fitted, 2013 Hymer.

Solar controller, Schaudt can supply LR1218 for direct connection, but max VOC of solar panel is 25v. I am hoping to use panel with higher VOC via MPPT controller.

Can I use another controller connected to EBL101 socket BL6 pins 1 + 3, pin 2 for engine without data lead.
DT panel will not show charge rate but will system work ok. Max 14A.

No problem to use any solar-charger with higher input from the solar-cell, if you stay within the max allowed 15A on the 3 pole connector at the EBL.
There will be no extra Ampere indication at the panel, but the main current display will show the solar current as well as a calculation of all currents.

Votronic MPP160, is advertised as OK to use with EBL and comes with data link, is it OK to use with EBL101 and will it show solar charge?

I don´t know but it is possible to use it anyway.
When there is a data wire, no problem too.

Do Schaudt supply MPPT solar charger for solar panel VOC 50v?

Maybe we will have a MPPT charger to the end of the year, but not with 50V from the cell.!!

If I add Living Area batteries, can I add any charger to AUX Charging input socket, or must it be compatible to EBL101. Does this charger also need data link? I see on schematic 20a fuse protects aux charger, so max input of 18A for an Aux charger.

Yes you can add an external charger to the entry at the EBL.
There is no data wire necessary.

Thankyou

Martin Lonsdale

Best Regards
Udo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread