Ebikes, folding or otherwise (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748-2
Exp
Since 2012
So here is a quick question for you lot.

We are looking at getting a couple of ebikes now do we go for some 20inch wheel folding bikes, or standard size?

The main purpose is for exploring and shopping, so with that in mind what would you lot suggest or advise based on experience.

or just use a standard bike and get fitter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I had a 20" wheeled folding electric bike which was ok, but it became a bit of hassle to pull out of the locker and set up so then became lazy and left it in the locker.
i sold it and then got a normal mountain bike which i preferred and was a better and more controlled ride. I then bought a kit and upgraded my mountain bike to an E bike. which is for me the best of both worlds.

but it all depends on how / where you intend to carry the bike/ bikes.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Big wheels and E power if your not a cyclist. Made massive difference to my wife, who now wants to ride her E touring bike. She has confidence in it as it’s far more stable than the small wheel bikes she tried, and with the motor has the power to feel safe in traffic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W
Mar 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748-2
Exp
Since 2012
I had a 20" wheeled folding electric bike which was ok, but it became a bit of hassle to pull out of the locker and set up so then became lazy and left it in the locker.
i sold it and then got a normal mountain bike which i preferred and was a better and more controlled ride. I then bought a kit and upgraded my mountain bike to an E bike. which is for me the best of both worlds.

but it all depends on how / where you intend to carry the bike/ bikes.
They will be going in the garage which is plenty big enough

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have two raleigh folding ebikes with 20" wheels. They seem fine for relaxed trips to the shops and a bit of sightseeing etc. Plan will be to put on a rack for normal use, but it gives us the option to fold & store in the van or car if needed.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with Landy Andy I find the 27.5" wheel a massive difference in comfort and stability, and with the ebike kit its a dream to ride.
I found that the slightest rough track i.e. shingle or unsurfaced tracks with 20" wheel you will notice every bump and piece of gravel resulting in poor stability. on the other hand if you intend only ever tocycle on tarmac much less of an issue.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We brought 2 x 20inch folding ebikes, the wife couldn't get on with hers she said it didn't feel secure when on anything other than smooth tarmac. Changed it to a standard fixed big wheel ebike, she loves it. I'll stick with my folding bike for now, if or when I change I'll go for a fixed frame big wheel

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We’ve got folding 20” wheel ebikes (Wisper 805 SE) which we love - but with a big enough garage we never fold them, much quicker to store them “intact”. Which makes me wonder whether we wouldn’t have done better with a non-folder?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The whole topic may be governed by price or ability to store or carry an ebike.
At the bottom end Decathlon sell very basic models similar in price to those on shopping channels. At the top end bikes cost around £2000 +.
We are lucky in having a large garage to store and carry our bikes but if it needs to go on a bike rack, beware of your payload. The further the bike rack is from the axle, in effect it makes the bike that much heavier and vulnerable.
I love our Ebikes which are both AS Bikes with smaller wheels. We can carry a huge amount of shopping saving in town parking problems.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
28 in wheels, 45 or 50 mm types. Make sure it has, or can fit a pannier rack to hold the shopping. Get removable pannier bags - and take them in the supermarket to load them. When in transit, the pannier bags hold the crash hats, battery packs and saddles and are stored inside. We remove the power packs and saddles to reduce rear axle weight, make them lighter to mount on the rack, and as a theft deterrent. Fill the frame tube with a champagne cork to keep the water out. (We end up with loads of 'em ..... cant think why?) ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back