Ebike with fat tyres - does anyone have one (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

I remember seeing an ebike with fat tyres at the Malvern Show last year. I can't remember the make, and I didn't have a test ride, but they looked fun, and stable.

I need a folding bike, so that it will fit inside the van when travelling, I don't have a garage, and a bike rack would have to be fitted too high.

I don't want to spend a fortune, as I am a fair weather rider, but wonder if anyone can advise good and bad points.

I have done lots of internet research, but the only one that looks promising is FATmini Ebikes in North Wales and they don't have any!

TIA
Karen

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When I tried one, the fat tyres made road cycling a little slower, but possibly excellent on a soft surface. I know its just me, but I think they make the bike look daft. Silly I know. o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I tried one, the fat tyres made road cycling a little slower, but possibly excellent on a soft surface. I know its just me, but I think they make the bike look daft. Silly I know. o_O
Not just you Mike.
I reckon they resemble an anorexic motorbike after an engine extraction.
Totally ridiculous.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
The fat tyres will produce a lot of resistance which will drain the battery much quicker than thinner tyres. Plus the fat tyres, look silly (in my opinion).
David.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Those 'ridiculous' tyres are for (very) serious off road use.

Where normal tyres wouldn't last five minutes and give zero grip.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I think from the comments so far that they are a "marmite" bike. I think they look great. I like the idea of being able to cruise along the beach!! However, I have to be practical, will it be useful to pop to the shops, or should I go for an MTB or a hybrid.

I know AS bikes do both of those, and they are good folders, but when I tried one, it felt like it was trying to run away with me. I suppose that is because the motor is on the front wheel. No doubt I would get used to it. Theya re about the right price. Or maybe just go bargain basement and get a Halfords offering.

I have been dithering for two years so far!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have the 27.5+ tyres on my e bike and it makes it a lot better in mud and sand compared to my sons normal tyre e bike

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Maybe they are in the rear hub, and I am making it up. It just felt as if it was pulling me.

I presume that 26" wheels would be safer than little ones, less likely to slip in a pothole. I went to the Worcester electric bike shop and they were really helpful, but they don't sell any folding bikes.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you’re looking for an e-bike, function should count more than form.

Fat tyres will provide a degree of suspension, smoothing out minor bumps at the expense of efficiency and, if it’s an e-bike, the motor can compensate for that. The main point to look at is the overall range. Don’t expect it to be able to achieve that range, though, but do make sure your trips will be well within it. E-bikes are not light, especially if you have to push them up hill.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Fat tyres also work well on snow or snow/ice. Had several nip past me recently on our snow covered bike path which I was cycling extremely gingerly on my Kalkhoff. Of course SWMBO had a smug look on her face as she zipped along on her Jorvik trike:cycle:

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I had a look at the Jorvik trike website. They are quite heavy, and I don;t think it will fit in the footwell, so that isn't an option, but they look very comfortable. Any good off road Robin?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I had a look at the Jorvik trike website. They are quite heavy, and I don;t think it will fit in the footwell, so that isn't an option, but they look very comfortable. Any good off road Robin?
They aren't light and the fold is limited. Wife certainly finds it comfortable and easy to use on bike paths. Not built for off road, but is more stable than my Kalkhof in the snow! Be ok on any reasonable surface but no good on rough tracks. Wouldn't fit in a footwell, the Jorvik goes in the garage. For the price its not bad but if she gets on ok we will be uograding to something better. There are trikes that can handle off roadish out there, we looked at a Dutch one, but they are expensive

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
You seen this one? Up to 1000W motor and a folder! That would sort your off road capability :ROFLMAO: http://www.moar.bike/

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the fat tyres made road cycling a little slower, but possibly excellent on a soft surface.

That's what fat tyres are for: very soft surfaces. Nothing else. They aren't intended for road or even normal off road use.

If you're not riding on something like sand or powder snow they're completely useless. You'll be working about 5 times as hard as you need to eBike or not.

And then of course there are the people who don't understand or care about any of that and buy them because they look "cool." I know a lot of places are marketing them as some sort of fashion statement but I truly despair of anyone who falls for it.

Deleted User
Hi all

I remember seeing an ebike with fat tyres at the Malvern Show last year. I can't remember the make, and I didn't have a test ride, but they looked fun, and stable.

I need a folding bike, so that it will fit inside the van when travelling, I don't have a garage, and a bike rack would have to be fitted too high.

I don't want to spend a fortune, as I am a fair weather rider, but wonder if anyone can advise good and bad points.

I have done lots of internet research, but the only one that looks promising is FATmini Ebikes in North Wales and they don't have any!

TIA
Karen
Think the site you found offers the best compromise of both price and road legal (250w where as most are 500 or 1000 as they are used purely off road), maybe worth waiting for the next batch to arrive (if not already in). Don't have one, however, friends rave about the comfort and stability. Great for comfortable jaunts on paved roads (they pump the tyres up slightly I believe), however, avoid prolonged hills where they are definitely harder work than conventional ebikes, however, led to believe not as difficult as first appears. Would imagine would be great for around campsite, local shops, trails into countryside etc. and of course they look really good (appreciate not to the traditionalists)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We've got two E Rangers which we bought at the Harrogate show 2 years ago. They've been sitting in the garage gathering dust since the day they were delivered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back