eBike security when on site? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
CRD. You actually have already mentioned the answer to your own question, Part of the purchase of any type of MH, is your "priority list".
make the garage for bike a priority, then all these suggestion go away. You know it makes sence.!!
As ebikes are getting more popular probably good for resale values too. It doesn't mean you need a huge motorhome either its the reason our friends went for a Chausson 610

Reactions: CRD
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
CRD. You actually have already mentioned the answer to your own question, Part of the purchase of any type of MH, is your "priority list".
make the garage for bike a priority, then all these suggestion go away. You know it makes sence.!!
Yes, you are right. In fact we have arranged to visit two dealers tomorrow and I'm taking a tape measue to see how big the garages are!

We've also decided to look at 7m coachbuilts as there was a telling post quite a few posts ago about the depth of a bike rack contributing to the length of the vehicle, and it is better for us if that additional length is a garage rather than a bike rack!

There has been so much awesome information and help on this thread. I hope it helps others as much as it is helping me.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Looks like you may have changed your mind from the original PVC 6-6.5m layout if you are now thinking Coachbuilts at 7m. Obviously this thread has thrown up some different thought processes on what may work for you, but really do think about how you use the MH when not cycling and the implications that a garage imposes.

Having a garage in the van (or in a PVC large storage under the rear bed) does dictate a lot about the layout of the interior. It will usually mean a fixed bed, or at least a raised bed at the back of the vehicle. You'll now need a lounge / dining area at the front, as that back bed space won't be useable for anything other than sprawling out. Is that bed also workable, as many will be transverse, rather than the optional singles of the PVC's end bench seat layout, so someone may need to clamber over the other in the midst of the night. Ultimately do think carefully about how you will want to use the vehicle's interior and be comfortable, especially on the long rainy day that you are trapped inside.

Most things with the motorhome will be about some form of compromise. Security of bicycles is one of those compromises.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Looks like you may have changed your mind from the original PVC 6-6.5m layout if you are now thinking Coachbuilts at 7m. Obviously this thread has thrown up some different thought processes on what may work for you, but really do think about how you use the MH when not cycling and the implications that a garage imposes.

Having a garage in the van (or in a PVC large storage under the rear bed) does dictate a lot about the layout of the interior. It will usually mean a fixed bed, or at least a raised bed at the back of the vehicle. You'll now need a lounge / dining area at the front, as that back bed space won't be useable for anything other than sprawling out. Is that bed also workable, as many will be transverse, rather than the optional singles of the PVC's end bench seat layout, so someone may need to clamber over the other in the midst of the night. Ultimately do think carefully about how you will want to use the vehicle's interior and be comfortable, especially on the long rainy day that you are trapped inside.

Most things with the motorhome will be about some form of compromise. Security of bicycles is one of those compromises.
These are excellent and pertinent thoughts. Thank you.

I didnā€™t really want to discuss our MH choice in this thread, other than to think about rack vs garage, so that it could focus on bike security solutions, however your points are spot on.

My wife wants fixed beds, ideally, though a rear lounge with longitudinal seats/singles is also fine, but that precludes a garage. We donā€™t want a transverse bed for the reasons you mentioned, which rules out quite a few PVCā€™s. We definitely need four designated seats so that dictates layout and MH/PVC choice too.

When we go on MH trips, we will mostly take our bikes with us, as they will be part of the adventure, so a garage is a very good choice for us even though it does cause compromises elsewhere. When we had our caravan, we always took our bikes, putting them in the van to travel, and then in the awning on site, but they were cheap and cheerful push bikes, not expensive eBikes.

So with a handful of compromises, weā€™re going to look at some coachbuilts tomorrow to see what we think šŸ˜€

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I have a towbar attached so I just padlock & chain my folding e-bike to that. Hefty chain & lock naturally. Maybe there is part of your chassis that you could do likewise.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Holy Moly, Ā£1070 for a scooter. I bought a second hand Honda 50, old style, not working, for Ā£50, spent 20 weeks collecting parts on ebay and rebuilding it discounting my time only Ā£50 in parts. So Ā£100. You must be rich. ;)
You were robbed.....

DMartin

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 27, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Jerba Sanna (VW T6)
Exp
since 2017
Years ago we ruined two nice mountain bikes by transporting them on the rear of a vehicle uncovered. I would never do it again, especially with over Ā£7 grand of Ebikes. Garage for us.
Sorry to hear that. Would be very interested to know what happened, what the weaknesses were?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
These are excellent and pertinent thoughts. Thank you.

I didnā€™t really want to discuss our MH choice in this thread, other than to think about rack vs garage, so that it could focus on bike security solutions, however your points are spot on.

My wife wants fixed beds, ideally, though a rear lounge with longitudinal seats/singles is also fine, but that precludes a garage. We donā€™t want a transverse bed for the reasons you mentioned, which rules out quite a few PVCā€™s. We definitely need four designated seats so that dictates layout and MH/PVC choice too.

When we go on MH trips, we will mostly take our bikes with us, as they will be part of the adventure, so a garage is a very good choice for us even though it does cause compromises elsewhere. When we had our caravan, we always took our bikes, putting them in the van to travel, and then in the awning on site, but they were cheap and cheerful push bikes, not expensive eBikes.

So with a handful of compromises, weā€™re going to look at some coachbuilts tomorrow to see what we think šŸ˜€
A rear bike rack is a good alternative to a garage and you should not let your anxieties over them being nicked dictate your choice of Motorhome. Neither would I dumb down using a cheaper bike. As long as you take the reasonable precautions go for it. If somebody is determined to nick something they will albeit a Motorhome, bike, bbq so just go and enjoy your adventure on your terms not others.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is a problem for all bike users. We have two very expensive carbon framed Specialized road bikes. In transit they are triple locked onto the bike carrier and stay there until we use them, with the saddles removed. If we are on site and need the bikes handy we double lock them to the fixed wing mirror mounts on the van. Weā€™ve never chosen a van with cycle security as a high priority .

Attachments

• 3D8DFAA3-AB3D-4C87-96A3-BF9559D9F840.jpeg
    3D8DFAA3-AB3D-4C87-96A3-BF9559D9F840.jpeg
    773 KB · Views: 64

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I have been thinking for a while that all the security devices you put on it is easier to just cut the rack after all its just aluminium so (and I have to admit this thread has prompted me ) to get a friend of mine who is a good fabricator and welder to weld something under the back of the motorhome that I can fasten to as i have no tow-bar. At least then i could put a chain and an alarm wire through it. Its not better than a garage but its just another layer of security for me as i have no garage ( Well i have but its vertical, great for smuggling immigrants in but not storing bikes :LOL:)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
We keep ours on a bike rack and padlock them together and to the rack with these - they are very, very loud!

<Broken link removed>

We locked them together in Padstow harbour, and a family were there crabbing, and accidentally touched the bikes - the alarm went off and the family told us that their granny nearly had a heart attack!
Thankfully she did have a spare pair of knickers!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have been thinking for a while that all the security devices you put on it is easier to just cut the rack after all its just aluminium so (and I have to admit this thread has prompted me ) to get a friend of mine who is a good fabricator and welder to weld something under the back of the motorhome that I can fasten to as i have no tow-bar. At least then i could put a chain and an alarm wire through it. Its not better than a garage but its just another layer of security for me as i have no garage ( Well i have but its vertical, great for smuggling immigrants in but not storing bikes :LOL:)
I have to be honest, and Iā€™m not being flippant, if they want to cut off my bike rack together with the 2 chained together bikes.......they can have them

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I only take the cheap road bike for camping, it always stays out of view and in the trailer and only comes out when being used. I have realised though that our best security feature is when the trailer is fully loaded as it takes me about 10mins to unload it and actually get to the bikes, my bike is also first in last out;) so it wouldn't be too easy to extract when we are loaded.

IMG_9153.jpeg

We have increased the "bike insurance policy" though as things soon add up:oops: but Mrs Ridgeway can't understand why the policy needed to cover Ā£20k of bikes when non of them cost more than ten bob:unsure:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I only take the cheap road bike for camping, it always stays out of view and in the trailer and only comes out when being used. I have realised though that our best security feature is when the trailer is fully loaded as it takes me about 10mins to unload it and actually get to the bikes, my bike is also first in last out;) so it wouldn't be too easy to extract when we are loaded.

View attachment 498643

We have increased the "bike insurance policy" though as things soon add up:oops: but Mrs Ridgeway can't understand why the policy needed to cover Ā£20k of bikes when non of them cost more than ten bob:unsure:
Geez if thats the cheap bike I hate to see the rest of your collection ;-)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

View attachment 498643

Just make sure you donā€™t die otherwise she will sell them for what you told her they cost. :roflmto:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Weā€™ve gone for a bigger garage space, we find it so useful and not just for the bikes.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We could just about fit our e-bikes in the garage of our last motorhome, but mine would require the front 29" wheel to come off. While this isn't a great issue, it was a faff which I could do without. In our new Knaus, they both fit without any disassembly (one of the reasons we chose that model) and there is plenty of room to spare.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi, this is my first post in the forum, and it's a question that has been intriguing me.

We want to buy our first MH soon, but as it will be in the 6m - 6.5m length, it almost certainly won't have a garage large enough to store two eBikes.

We're still trying to choose between a PVC or coachbuilt, but that is another question entirely!

So how can you keep expensive eBikes secure when you are in the MH particularly as ours cost about Ā£3k each? Storing them in an awning won't be sensible, but would a bike rack with the bikes covered be safe enough?

I'd really welcome your thoughts and experience.

Thanks
Chris
Proper motorhome alarms will have an accessory protection circuit as standard, so you can alarm, bikes, trailers, A frames etc on or off the bike rack, obviously you would still lock them, but the thief will trigger the alarm system if the loop is unplugged giving you chance to do something about it

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Cube e bikes in the back of our Sunlight T68. One of those floor mounted bike racks at one end and held by straps at other end. Still room for tables chairs etc.
garage alarmed and extra locks and bikes can be locked to clips in the floor
We have the three bike cycle stand to give room between the bikes.

Attachments

• DED9C66F-CA3E-4DF0-910A-554813F7758D.jpeg
    DED9C66F-CA3E-4DF0-910A-554813F7758D.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DABC4CDC-EFCF-4B9E-983D-C902DCCDD096.jpeg
    DABC4CDC-EFCF-4B9E-983D-C902DCCDD096.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 428FD3E4-AF9A-4E7A-A8CE-A6F68BA3CE0C.png
    428FD3E4-AF9A-4E7A-A8CE-A6F68BA3CE0C.png
    2 MB · Views: 51
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Cube e bikes in the back of our Sunlight T68. One of those floor mounted bike racks at one end and held by straps at other end. Still room for tables chairs etc.
garage alarmed and extra locks and bikes can be locked to clips in the floor
We have the three bike cycle stand to give room between the bikes.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Holy moly, Ā£4000 each! No wonder they get nicked if people will pay that much.

Our Honda scooter was Ā£1070 at six months old, takes 2 at 50mph and probably won't get stolen, I certainly don't worry about it.

The best strategy if you must have a push bike is to buy a piece of crap, some are that bad they don't need a lock šŸ˜†
Bought a couple of standard road bikes bikes from Decathlon in Spain, do us fine for the odd gentle ride (ooh err madam) I wouldnt say they are crap , they are comfy enough, but they are ummmm budget. Iā€™d be gutted if the towbar rack was stolen , theyā€™d probably leave the bikes!

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
As above and remove the saddles and keep them in the MH. Most saddles can be removed in seconds these days and who wants to steal a bike with no saddle?

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
We bought an Ixeo because of the garage for ebikes and the inflatable kayak. (We can leave it partially inflated). We have the bed that raises to the ceiling. We have 2 very good rear seats and if necessary a double bed under ours ( which we donā€™t use). I personally would love 2 fitted beds at the back but the compromise suits us at the moment.
TIP : if you put bikes in a garage, try fitting fold up bike pedals on. It saves some agro.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi, this is my first post in the forum, and it's a question that has been intriguing me.

We want to buy our first MH soon, but as it will be in the 6m - 6.5m length, it almost certainly won't have a garage large enough to store two eBikes.

We're still trying to choose between a PVC or coachbuilt, but that is another question entirely!

So how can you keep expensive eBikes secure when you are in the MH particularly as ours cost about Ā£3k each? Storing them in an awning won't be sensible, but would a bike rack with the bikes covered be safe enough?

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris, get a coachbuilt with a garage and keep your bikes in there, hopefully out of sight out of mind.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

Thanks
Chris
Hi and welcome. I started a thread on bike security a while back with a specific question about funsters who had actually had bikes stolen from their vans when on a campsite (different to having your bike nicked while out and about). There weren't a huge number of replies and my conclusion would be that (a) either funsters are a little shy in owning up to having been robbed) or (b) that as long as you take all the right precautions (which include investing in proper locks of the sort that cost serious money and could include alarms as well) bike theft from motorhomes on campsites is not a huge problem. The obvious things like making sure batteries and bikes are separate whenever left unattended also apply. We take the co-pilot's e-bike and my hybrid on an external rack, locked down with a Litelock and motorcycle security cable and are fortunate to be able to store both bikes inside the moho (coachbulit) if we are off site for the day.

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
WE have a Rio. Opening back tailgate so no bike rack possible. And no garage. Two folding ebikes. I put a gold security rated D lock around the leaf spring and a gold security rated chain from there around the frames of the bikes. No one nicks them quietly!!! Oh and the strike back alarm loop. Usually we have a driveway awning, so they are out of sight inside the porch. The cost of the locks against the cost of the bikes was a no brainer.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
WE have a Rio. Opening back tailgate so no bike rack possible. And no garage. Two folding ebikes. I put a gold security rated D lock around the leaf spring and a gold security rated chain from there around the frames of the bikes. No one nicks them quietly!!! Oh and the strike back alarm loop. Usually we have a driveway awning, so they are out of sight inside the porch. The cost of the locks against the cost of the bikes was a no brainer.
Those Rios look great, bet its cool on a sunny day with the back open

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Lock my ebike to the rack with chain and have motion lock on it with 120 decibel alarm.
When we were on site at Benicarlo a few years ago a cheeky thief came through the coastal gate and 'exchanged' his old battered bike for an electric one, which was unsecured. Don't think the insurance would have paid out on that claim. šŸ˜”

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Lock my ebike to the rack with chain and have motion lock on it with 120 decibel alarm.
When we were on site at Benicarlo a few years ago a cheeky thief came through the coastal gate and 'exchanged' his old battered bike for an electric one, which was unsecured. Don't think the insurance would have paid out on that claim. šŸ˜”
What a polite thief!

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
Those Rios look great, bet its cool on a sunny day with the back open
Yes, it is a delight. The door acts as an awning. It had the added advantage of very good ventilation in case of any unpleasantness lingering in the air after a good night!!!!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back