eBike security when on site? (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Forget about gold standard locks, there is nothing golden about those standards , it will be seconds to compromise them , look on the wall of shame on the Almax website, where the locks of the so called A brands get cut in seconds, Almax and pragmasis chains are the only two worth buying, but are extremely heavy, I lock my Ducati up with it when at home attached to a concreted in ground anchor, which is very secure but you can’t take it with you, it is just to heavy.

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
Forget about gold standard locks, there is nothing golden about those standards , it will be seconds to compromise them , look on the wall of shame on the Almax website, where the locks of the so called A brands get cut in seconds, Almax and pragmasis chains are the only two worth buying, but are extremely heavy, I lock my Ducati up with it when at home attached to a concreted in ground anchor, which is very secure but you can’t take it with you, it is just to heavy.
The key issues are quality of steel, thickness of steel and weight (transportability matters). It is certainly true that my chain can be bolt cropped, but not with anything you can carry in your back pocket. You will need monster croppers and strength. Doable? Absolutely. Though watch out for the alarm. And if you make it, my insurance well get me a new bike. It's only a bike, I'm not emotionally wedded to it!!!. But frankly, the bike of the guy next door is more accessible..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We have two electric bikes on a bikes rack attached to the towing ball, Gold Rated D Lock, we extended the MoHo Alarm system with a closed circuit (two sockets at the end of the MoHo (under the body) and a long cable plugged in one socket and Threaded through the 4 wheels of the bikes and plugged in the second socket. Cut or in plugged the cable will activate the alarm.

Reactions: CRD
Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
I have an eyebolt through the rear bulkhead, my bike is then secured with a high quality chain lock and a secondary cable that goes around both wheels and through the frame. Sadly, if some thieving scumbag wants it they will find a way to remove it from your possession

Reactions: CRD

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year

Then you may as well forget about all security as it can all be bypassed in a short space of time. I'd certainly recommend that if someone wants to secure an e-bike then use a gold standard lock and remove battery if possible.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Looked the almax brand up on ebay. The best one is £499. That's a nice insensitive then if they grind a link out and take it with them, probably still worth £400 to sell on. 🤔😊

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
Got a Chausson 610 specifically for the garage to store 2 e-bikes. It is 6.69m long with a garage large enough for bikes and other stuff. We are paranoid and wouldn't consider a bike rack with expensive bikes on. Watched a video of how a thief took bikes on a rear bike rack - no messing about with bolt crops to cut chains or alarm chains. The thief used a battery powered angle grinder and just cut the rack supports then took both bikes and the rack away to sort it out miles away. This process took about 30 seconds. My advice is get a MH with a garage

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
Normally bike insurance requires the bike to be locked to an immovable object and a motor vehicle often doesn’t count as one.
No substitute for a garage in the a Motorhome if you are going to take expensive bikes with you.
I've checked this with Comfort Ins. and they confirmed that the moho is considered to be an immovable object in this regard.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Years ago there were two very clever bike locks.
One locked the steering. If you have ever tried to ride a bike with the steering locked, it is impossible. You start off OK but after a few yards you just fall over.

The second was a spike that was mounted under the saddle. It worked on a lever. The spike came up through a hole in the saddle and then was padlocked in place. No matter how brave you are, your are not going to ride a bike with a 4" spike pointing at your cycle helmet so to speak.

Alas these devises are no longer available - but worth thinking about.

In principle, anti theft devices are very simple. Get it out of site, make it harder to steal than the one further down the road, or make it attract attention if you tamper with it.

D

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Years ago there were two very clever bike locks.
One locked the steering. If you have ever tried to ride a bike with the steering locked, it is impossible. You start off OK but after a few yards you just fall over.

The second was a spike that was mounted under the saddle. It worked on a lever. The spike came up through a hole in the saddle and then was padlocked in place. No matter how brave you are, your are not going to ride a bike with a 4" spike pointing at your cycle helmet so to speak.

Alas these devises are no longer available - but worth thinking about.

In principle, anti theft devices are very simple. Get it out of site, make it harder to steal than the one further down the road, or make it attract attention if you tamper with it.

D
What about an ejector seat? 👏👏

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Got a Chausson 610 specifically for the garage to store 2 e-bikes. It is 6.69m long with a garage large enough for bikes and other stuff. We are paranoid and wouldn't consider a bike rack with expensive bikes on. Watched a video of how a thief took bikes on a rear bike rack - no messing about with bolt crops to cut chains or alarm chains. The thief used a battery powered angle grinder and just cut the rack supports then took both bikes and the rack away to sort it out miles away. This process took about 30 seconds. My advice is get a MH with a garage

I reckon 30 to 60 seconds at most is all I'd need to remove a bike rack from its fixings. No angle grinder required. Anyone who has put one one wil know exactly how easily and quickly (and quietly) they can be taken off. If bikes are to be chained to the rack then they need to be additionally fixed to something else or alarmed.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's the bike insurer you need to check with.
You’re absolutely right, we had trouble as we’ve got a PVC with a towball mounted bike rack. In the end the only one we could find 3 years ago that definitely counted a motorhome as an immovable object was Aviva and even they would only cover ebikes in their ”expensive items” section and not in their “bikes” section. He agreed it was absurd as they would insure ordinary bikes that were worth up to £10,000 ! This is on our house policy. Strangely this year the renewal price dropped by over £70 , they are a mystery.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Haven’t get e bikes but the bike is a stupid expensive MTB.
A f#£&off big 16mm hardened chain through the rear suspension of the van then the bikes and another really expensive padlock specified by my expensive bike insurance. New for old even abroad.
Plus the same around the top tubes of the bikes and pad lock the whole lot adds 10kg to the bikes.
Even with an angle grinder I would hope the hassle would put off most thieves and make them look else where at the rest of the bikes just lent up against the nearest post or tree unlocked on the site.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
My chain weighs more than half the weight of the bike.
It’s for static use only.
If we go out and about and leave the bikes we use the shorter chain and a 16mm cable, with the stupid expensive big padlock

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
We have two electric bikes on a bikes rack attached to the towing ball, Gold Rated D Lock, we extended the MoHo Alarm system with a closed circuit (two sockets at the end of the MoHo (under the body) and a long cable plugged in one socket and Threaded through the 4 wheels of the bikes and plugged in the second socket. Cut or in plugged the cable will activate the alarm.
Wire cutter that just strips the outer cable insulation at both ends, join between with a longish wire and then cut the middle bit out which is threaded through the bikes - 30 seconds? A multicore wire might take rather longer though but still vulnerable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back