georgette

Free Member
May 5, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria sport 680
Exp
Hi have Adria sport 680 ,not sure present bike rack is strong enough to carry 2e bikes .
So can we put a tow bar on to take a removable bike rack (so we can use on car as well ). If anybody has done this is it ok and if so any recommendations for garage/person in essex who can do this.
Thanks

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Hi Georgette and welcome to a fellow Essex resident!

You might want to check the weight limit of the bike carrier before going to potentially unnecessary expense. The weight limit on our Thule is 50kg. We have 2 ebikes weighing just under 25kg each. We take the batteries out and the combined weight is well under 50kg. It works perfectly for us.

Cheers

Gerry

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome.
The adria has a chassis extension which has a special fit for a tow bar and is not a cheap option.

The max carry capacity on the bike racks is normally 50kgs which is a lot.
Most can accommodate 4 bikes so that is around 45kgs.
I fold the handle bars of my ebike parallel to the frame and move the rails as close to the van as is possible so the weight is as close to the back wall as possible. But I only carry 1 ebike and 1 normal bike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
As above, check the load rating on your existing bike rack.

We put our 2 e-bikes on a Fiamma "Carry Bike" rack. 55kg max load. Our e-bikes weigh 22kg each, reduced by 2.3kg when you take the battery out. We also take out the seats and seat pillars, reducing the weight further and store these inside the MH. Handlebars are turned through 90° and locked in position (1 allan key)

We reinforced the top rack mounting points that are concealed inside the overhead cupboards with some 3mm stainless steel sheet offcuts 200mm x 30mm to spread the load.
IMG_20190513_134901.jpg

Upvote 0

bhud

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Aberdoom
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years ish
I have a tow bar mounted altera bike rack for my 2 ebikes on my transporter (it is on a slide so the up and over door can open while the bikes are mounted) I plan on upgrading my van so planning a tow bar to continue carrying. The rack rocks slightly but the bikes don't move - I believe adding the 4th bike mount makes the rack more secure.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bike rack capacity 50kg, mountings and motorhome structure unknown...mine go inside garage although I have a Hymer standard rear bike carrier..factory fitted mounts.....Security also an issue.... Personal choice....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back