Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
We have an 2006 Autocruise Starburst fitted with an eberspacher diesel heater. The problem is the heater initially fires up but then cuts off after approximately one minute. We have two new 110 amp leisure batteries and a solar panel. I have checked and lubricated all the connections that I can see but there is no difference. However, occasionally the damn thing will work. But then the next time I try it it won't! Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Have you checked the fuel pump is working?
If the fuel is not injecting correctly it will trip out.
You will get similar symptoms if there is an air leak in the fuel pipe as it will need to keep priming

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The same thing happened to our 2003 Autocruise Starblazer. It turned out to be the room thermostat turning off the heater too early. It happened to us in December in Germany and was resolved temporarily by cutting one of the control wires under guidance from Eberspacher technical support. A new thermostat resolved the problem.

(BTW is this really your first post in five years? :D)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate had exactly the same on his 2006 Autocruise Renoir. Thought it needed servicing . Booked into the Eberspacher Dealer in Taunton who , when they had it in, fixed the problem & said that it didn't need servicing ( about £180) but they had changed the undersized supply cables that were installed by the manufacturer & that after some years they cause a voltage drop fault meaning it switches off. £ 72 +vat for that & worked perfectly after.

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all. Thanks for the prompt replies. Don't think I have a room stat as never seen one. Would it be obvious? Is the fuel pump internal to the unit? If so how would you check it? The question about the air intake.....do you mean the air intake on the eberspacher itself?

Regarding the thickness of the wiring do you mean from the combitronic control unit down to the eberspacher? Mine has a very long wiring loom that has been looped and cable tied.

As to this being our first post in five years. My wife joined MHF and as she reads everything from dawn til dusk I very rarely get to use or look at the lap top.

Can I just say that he hates the computer and has to be nagged to even switch his pay as you go mobile phone on!!!!
He reckons he's saving the planet by not running the battery flat. He has had £13 credit on it for 2 years. Sue.

Reactions: Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Air intake anywhere between the unit and outside.
On trucks it was always the main problem.
On our friends you have slide the intake open on the outside of the MH

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks but I have no external vents to open near the eberspacher so will have to check underneath and check in the booklet that came with the motorhome.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Don't think I have a room stat as never seen one. Would it be obvious?
I can't remember what it looks like, but it was mounted on the wooden trim panel immediately behind the near side cab door where the cab metal work meets the coach built part. (Which made feeding the new wiring through behind the trim a right bugger.)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ebers usually have stainless hoses on the in and outlets which pass thru the floor directly below the unit also check that theres nothing blocking the internal air inlet this is the opposite to the hot outlet inside the van fuel pump is on the deisel feed into the unit under the van should be on a bracket but often cable tied on

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks again. If weather forecast is good for tomorrow think I will be getting the missus underneath to have a rummage round.

Reactions: Mel

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As to this being our first post in five years. My wife joined MHF and as she reads everything from dawn til dusk I very rarely get to use or look at the lap top.

Can I just say that he hates the computer and has to be nagged to even switch his pay as you go mobile phone on!!!!
He reckons he's saving the planet by not running the battery flat. He has had £13 credit on it for 2 years. Sue.

Can't add to the comments made to help with your problem...
But fell about laughing at the mini domestic...
Hope you get it sorted ...
Take care under the van sue.. :LOL::LOL:
Andy

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Andy

After 46 years of marriage I knew she would come in handy one day! She's impressed that I only suggest she looks if the weather is fine.

Mick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes that was what they replaced the main supply cables to the unit.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I can't remember what it looks like, but it was mounted on the wooden trim panel immediately behind the near side cab door where the cab metal work meets the coach built part. (Which made feeding the new wiring through behind the trim a right bugger.)
I found a picture of the room thermostat. It's the black square with the white arc on it just above the cushion behind the passenger seat.
P1010684.jpg

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the pic. My interior is totally different. I have 230v lights fitted in that position.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We have an Autocruise Starspirit 05 plate. We've had problems in the past with our Eberspacher heater and now have it serviced every 2 years. We were advised to run it for 10 minutes every so often in the summer which I now do. It's brilliant and imho far better than any other heater I have used.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar problem to yours. After a lot of head scratching and connector probing it turned out to be a multipin connector from the hab battery which was getting warm, caused through a bad connection. I replaced it and 'touch wood' not a problem in over two years.

OP
OP
mickeymullett

mickeymullett

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Since 2012
Worked on Eberspacher again today {too wet until now to shove the wife under} however, it has worked three times out of three today. Will try it again tomorrow morning and providing it works then hopefully the problem is solved. If all is well then it turned out to be a dry joint multi-block connector behind one of the hab batteries. I had previously checked all the connectors both inside and outside and this was the only bloody one that I had not checked!! How dim was that. Anyway can I just say a big thank you to all for your input/suggestions.

Dec 31, 2016
Scotland and Chef Boutonne
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 2010
Wow! I had similar problems on my 2005 Autocruise Stargazer. Never had a response like this when I posted on another forum a couple of years ago. Well done to all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back