Eberspacher diesel servicing? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Does anybody know how often you have to get this serviced.

PVC 2005 Murvi Morello. Can't see any record in the paperwork of it ever been serviced.

Seems to be a slight smell of fumes when on although carbon monoxide alarm didn't go off.

Got a price yesterday from a Eberspacher agent in the North East, £200, bleeding hell I wanted it servicing not a price for a new one.

Paul.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Most diesel heaters are expensive to maintain unfortunately.
If your heater is getting smoky it usually means the burner screen is getting blocked with carbon deposits.
Cleaning is not that effective and the burner clogs quickly again.
You would be looking at around £100 for another burner/glowplug unit plus labour to strip and rebuild it with new gaskets.
£200 sounds reasonable!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Cost me £90 last year in Carlisle, so the quote you got seems to be well out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Most diesel heaters are expensive to maintain unfortunately.
If your heater is getting smoky it usually means the burner screen is getting blocked with carbon deposits.
Cleaning is not that effective and the burner clogs quickly again.
You would be looking at around £100 for another burner/glowplug unit plus labour to strip and rebuild it with new gaskets.
£200 sounds reasonable!

He never said they were replacing the burner/glowplug though Jon, just to service it. I maybe need to ring back and clarify exactly what the price entails.

Paul.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If you have an "Old school" haulage yard nearby,pop in and have a chat with the fitters/ mechanics/spanner monkeys,they mend them in their sleep,worth a punt.
Tea Bag.
PS. I did well at school so went straight to Juggernaut jockey,missed all that "Techy" stuff. " But could still get 'em home
PPS. THAT'S upset the "Fitters"... (Old school mech's,the wind beneath my wheels !)/Mechanics/Technicians... Fitters got you going with bits from around the yard,Technicians "fitted" New to New.....
Well that's me truly Blackballed now,hope i don't breakdown anywhere in the UK LOL.LOL.LOL.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

PVC 2005 Murvi Morello. Can't see any record in the paperwork of it ever been serviced.

Seems to be a slight smell of fumes when on although carbon monoxide alarm didn't go off.

Got a price yesterday from a Eberspacher agent in the North East, £200, bleeding hell I wanted it servicing not a price for a new one.

Paul.
I would think a lot of the cost involved would depend on how much work is involved in removing the heater and refitting, a basic service ie strip out heater de coke replace the two gaskets involved and fit a new plug strainer would not be to expensive for parts etc I only do the airtronic D2 & D4's and I can strip, de coke and stick one back together in about 10 minutes once out of the van. There should be no fumes able to get in the habitation area so I would check the heater exhaust for a split they quite often split just below the heater, A service agent will charge quite a bit because they will also probably carry out various tests such as fuel metering and clear fault codes all takes time, £150 -£200 is about normal some places charge around £70 just for pluging in a diagnostic machine and clearing fault codes and you wouldn't buy a new heater for anywhere near that

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would think a lot of the cost involved would depend on how much work is involved in removing the heater and refitting, a basic service ie strip out heater de coke replace the two gaskets involved and fit a new plug strainer would not be to expensive for parts etc I only do the airtronic D2 & D4's and I can strip, de coke and stick one back together in about 10 minutes once out of the van. There should be no fumes able to get in the habitation area so I would check the heater exhaust for a split they quite often split just below the heater, A service agent will charge quite a bit because they will also probably carry out various tests such as fuel metering and clear fault codes all takes time, £150 -£200 is about normal some places charge around £70 just for pluging in a diagnostic machine and clearing fault codes and you wouldn't buy a new heater for anywhere near that

Yes I know you can't buy a new heater for anywhere near that, it was a tongue in cheek remark.

Paul.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Another possibility, for service work, is a boat yard. Many narrow boats have diesel fired heaters.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

Paul.
Hi
I recently had mine repaired at AES Sunderland. Didn't seem too bad a price? Well it was £400 for the heat exchanger and was just glad too get the heater back working.
They were very helpful must admit would use them again as there doesn't seem to be anybody else.
Steve

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
I recently had mine repaired at AES Sunderland. Didn't seem too bad a price? Well it was £400 for the heat exchanger and was just glad too get the heater back working.
They were very helpful must admit would use them again as there doesn't seem to be anybody else.
Steve

Many thanks.

The quote I received was from auto electrics Teeside who are Eberspacher agents

Might call the ones you used.

Paul.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries