cyclenut

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
A friend of mine lost a substantial amount of money in one of these scams.
He bid on a motorhome. The seller sent him an eBay message saying that he could buy it at his bid offer and where would he like it delivering.They included an email address which he replied to. Immediately he got a PayPal invoice back with an account number to pay into. This was fake. He paid to the account and that was it.
He contacted PayPal who said they never send account numbers to pay into.
The police couldn't help and they believed the money would have gone to Eastern Europe.
To make it worse,my friend had just had his house repossessed,sold at auction,and this was the bit of equity left.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Might be better to just leave it now you don't know who these people are or what they know
This is huge organized crime groups, more than likely not in the UK, I wouldn't want them to have my phone number. But if you really want to help you need to get their bank details so I can try and get the account shut down, saving others from loosing money.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Did the same with one a few years ago with a van that was half the true price and I’d seen it elsewhere for sale. Checked with the true owner then went after this guy. Convinced the idiot I was stupid enough to buy it unseen and had fallen for his assurance that it would be delivered to my house and he’d refund me immediately if I didn’t like it. He wanted it to be paid to an intermediary account but he was so thick I eventually convinced him to give me his own bank account details. Printed out all details and took it to his bank to ask how they could have opened an account for a fraudster. Also sent it to eBay and the fraud hotline. Got one unhappy threatening email back from him (which I replied to.) Quite enjoyed it 😀
Must admit it's one thing I fail to understand i.e. when someone has been scammed, they've paid money into a fraudsters account. If opened in line with UK regulations re proof of identity/address and checked by the bank how is we don't hear about every one of these being caught by the police? I watch the various programmes reporting these scams but very rarely hear of anyone being caught, prosecuted and locked up :(

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Must admit it's one thing I fail to understand i.e. when someone has been scammed, they've paid money into a fraudsters account. If opened in line with UK regulations re proof of identity/address and checked by the bank how is we don't hear about every one of these being caught by the police? I watch the various programmes reporting these scams but very rarely hear of anyone being caught, prosecuted and locked up :(
False identify.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I was assured by the bank manager that I would be informed of the outcome. Never heard a thing. I was informed by a friend who was in charge of many bank managers that they try to deal with it quietly. He gave me examples of their own staff who had been 'let go' rather than prosecuted for fraud against customers because that would have meant adverse publicity for the bank.

desn161

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elf did 300 Autoques
Exp
2 weeks
People must be careful when selling items as well, they usually send a text message and ask you to email them, then they say that they will pay by PayPal and send an agent to collect the items and if you don’t have a paypal account you should open up one. There is always an excuse if you ask them to phone you, I had it twice when selling a motorcycle, the one person said that she was recovering from throat cancer and the other one said that he was on an oil rig and couldn’t phone out. If you are taken in by these people they will send you a bogus email from PayPal saying that money has been paid in

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
Hi I kept seeing my old listing copied and set up a few ads on Ebay warning about the fraud, listing them as photos of the vehicle. So far I have had someone who contacted me after losing £10 k and 2 others who told me I saved them from a loss. I am sure more have benefitted. If we all did this it would help. It’s the same vehicles time and time again. It sometimes goes quiet so in prison or on holiday😂
AA317EB8-9098-42C8-AF0B-C15714877FBA.png

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Just thinking out loud, if the social media platforms these scammers operated on required them to provide an image of the V5 - not for publishing but only to ensure ad could be posted - alongside a bill that matched the name and address on the document would that work?

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I was had over once, they even cloned paypal, which I thought Id payed through. In the begining I wasnt sure, something rang bells so I raised a report through paypal and it came back as no visible problems so Hi i pId what I thought was a paypal invoice. No goods arrived, contacted paypal who claimed no record and it was my problem. Despite sending them screen shots of their supposed documentation I got nowhere. They just kept assing me to new contacts who wanted the whole story over again. Gave up in the end it wasnt worth the hastle and time.

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
eBay scams unfortunately are quite common and some are easy to spot and some not. This week I was interested in an item and like all expensive electrical items would have a serial No. I made contact with the seller and asked why he was selling it, he replied lack of use. I then asked for its serial No to which he replied that he had been advised never to give serial Nos. I then asked him to send me a photo of unit switched on, no reply. All the time the bidding was going up £6600, eventually it sold this morning for £12,200 so I did a search in case there was another unit for sale and guess what.? A guy had sold the item in the USA at the end of 2019 and the EBay photos were exactly the same. I contacted EBay fraud department and explained what I had found and the responses from the seller, I’m pleased to say they said they would withhold the payment until they were satisfied he had the item. Hopefully I will have stopped somebody loosing £12200.00, so if you are thinking of buyinspg an expensive item and cannot physically check it out just ask for the serial No or another photo of your choice. If you do not get them walk away.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
eBay scams unfortunately are quite common so if you are thinking of buying an expensive item and cannot physically check it out just ask for the serial No or another photo of your choice. If you do not get them walk away.
Sound advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back