EBAY & PAYPAL, Problems with a damaged delivery (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
I know many on here use Ebay & Paypal all the time and some are traders.
Here is my problem. Sorry for the long post but best to get everything down as I have heard that things can get difficult if procedure is not followed properly:
On the Sunday 20th July 2014 I ordered a pair of Solar Panels :- Broken Link Removed from Germany on EBAY and paid with PayPal.
The Seller had over 1200 positives against 8 negatives so looked OK, anybody can get the odd thing go wrong.
The Panels arrived at our house in the South of France, on Thursday 24th July within the promised time but there was a hole in one side of the box and we could see a small rip in the plastic coating of the panel so unpacked it with the driver, who was very good to wait. Something pointed had obviously gone through the cardboard packaging and hit the back of the panel causing the small rip in the plastic but had punched through and damaged the glass at the front like a stone to a windscreen obviously breaking the foil contacts inside so, a useless panel.
I took photos of the box before unpacking and the damage to both sides of the panel and rejected the delivery writing on the drivers delivery slip in English "Delivery refused, package and contents damaged" under which the driver wrote something in French which I did not understand. (should have taken a photo!)
I immediately emailed the supplier (not through Ebay) with photos of the damage asking for replacements to be sent.
The following day on DPD's tracking site it said "Unsuccessful delivery attempt. Refusal to accept delivery (not ordered)." I emailed the supplier again asking why he had not replied and that the information on the tracking site was wrong, I had rejected the delivery because it was damaged. Each email I have sent to him I have included a Google Translation into German which worked fine for questions before purchase which were answered promptly. I also emailed DPD and EXPAQ who actually did the delivery that the reason for return was entered incorrectly on their website, DPD replied immediately saying it was for the supplier to inform them and arrange return.
Thinking that he may have had a long weekend away or it might be a Bank holiday in Germany I decided to leave it till Monday.
Monday morning still nothing from the seller so I looked on-line and found the advise to start a dispute through PayPal which would be registered with Ebay at the same time which is what I did.
Today Wednesday 30th July still no communication so I have added another email through PayPal asking why he is not contacting me. I didn't bother with the German this time.
What should I do now, I want the panels to fit before I go away late August but if the guy will not communicate what can I do? Tomorrow it is a week since I refused the delivery which still seems to be sitting at the delivery depot. Should I wait a bit more or should I ask PayPal for a refund.
Experienced Ebayers please help.
Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Paypal will have already removed the money from their account. They will be in touch soon or you'll have your money back in a couple of weeks.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Raise a dispute right away, with Paypal and then push for a refund through the dispute system.
It is all fully explained in the Paypal Resolution Center.

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Follow the eBay/paypal dispute procedure although it may take a couple of weeks or more to resolve. Disputes are invariably resolved to the benefit of the buyer regardless of the rights or wrongs of the situation (very annoying if you are a seller who has had the piss taken by a buyer GRRRRRR,.....)
Unless the seller is on the ball I wouldn't expect a prompt resolution. He has x days to respond then if you are not happy there is another x days before EBay will make a determination. After that another x days before you get your money back. But given the circumstances you WILL get your money back.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You should be covered by eBay's Buyer Protection scheme - try looking up the T&Cs in their Customer Support section. Speaking as a Seller I know eBay are very hot on making sure buyers don't get ripped off. You could open a non-delivery case with Customer Support but the system can be a bit sluggish, to give both sides time to respond.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I think the best was to raise a dispute with eBay better than waiting for PayPal IMHO

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks Jim I didn't ask PayPal for a refund because I thought the supplier would replace the goods, which is what I want, things get damaged, that's life and down to the supplier. But if he won't communicate I suppose perhaps tomorrow I should change the PayPal dispute to ask for a refund. And look elsewhere for the panels so I can get them fitted.
Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why don't you ring them instead of relying on emails that you don't know whether they've gone or been received by anyone, I wouldn't trust to emails for anything serious.
I worked for a small firm that did a bit of online selling and to be honest emails were looked at about once a week and then largely ignored, now I know you'll say that's no way to run a business but it is what happens I'm afraid

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I always raise disputes through ebay, they can force the seller to refund and take action against bad sellers.

Their resolution section has a facility to add pictures too.

Good luck with the refund let us know when you get it.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
OHHHH IMPORTANT

I forgot to tell you, that if you raise the dispute through ebay and contact them, for very heavy or bulky items they sometimes will pay the return postage for you so that you dont lose out. So raise this with ebay too.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
You should be covered by eBay's Buyer Protection scheme -

I think the best was to raise a dispute with eBay better than waiting for PayPal IMHO

Thanks both, I just looked at EBAY resolution service which directed me to the French EBAY where I bought from and it said that as I paid by PayPal they would handle the dispute rather than Ebay.
Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The system works but does take time. You may have to bite the bullet and reorder then wait for your refund. Better still buy at a show where you get them right away.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
.........Better still buy at a show where you get them right away.
Thanks but not many shows down here in Sunny South of France and anything for sale is usually twice the price of the UK. Just look on Amazon.UK then the same thing on Amazon.fr ridiculous prices on .fr. Which is why we usually go to Peterborough because we are usually in the UK when it is on. But I didn't know I needed them then. :(
All great advice from everybody.
Thanks @chaser not much use ringing if they only speak German but he does have a FAX number so I think I will send a FAX which I can translate with Google. Might get him to respond.
Will let you ALL know

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have found paypal to be very good and as jim has already said the money has been ring fenced and will be refunded when proof of return is accepted.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ebay will sort it out. Buying local or from a company recommended on Fun is sometimes a better option. There are lots of decent companies who sell panels at motorhome shows.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't know whether it's the same in France but with my Paypal account, they don't pay till 14 days after ordering, to give time for receipt. It doesn't seem very fair to the sellers though.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Guys,
Just an update on this Ebay problem, it has been two weeks since I started a PayPal dispute and not a word from the seller despite a number of emails from me through PayPal and outside of Ebay/PayPal, translated into German to make things easier for him.
So I looked on DPD tracking today and saw the panels had been delivered back to him.
So I sent another email through PayPal saying it was not good business to ignore me like this and if he didnt dispatch new panels by tomorrow I would have to escalate the dispute and claim a refund.
Now remember I took pictures of the damaged panel with the delivery driver there, which were on my first post and were sent to him.
He has now refunded all my money but said the panels were not damaged they were fine and to buy them from somebody else!!!:confused: I needed those panels, would I send them back if they were fine, I didn't ask for a refund immediately so he could replace them and still have the sale.

Something hard or sharp had obiously gone through the cardboard box and hit the back of the panel ripping the plastic backing and the front glass was stared inside and the connecting wires/tracks were broken, with hot and cold the glass would probably have cracked. Let's face it sh-t happens when sending things by carrier.

So if you are thinking of dealing with this guy on ebay:- M. Kapschefsky, marcel.kap@web.de, bau-tech or bau-tech@hotmail.de bau-tech2012 on Ebay,
the panels were these:- Broken Link Removed

Think very carefully, ok I got all my money back but lost over three weeks when I wanted to be fitting and testing the units before I leave for Croatia then on to Morocco with little time in between.
So he has really messed me around.

So anybody got any suggestions of a good suppler with reasonable prices, supply only bearing in mind that I live in France so have to get them by Mail Order. Any body dealt with a really good on-line supplier that packs their panels well not just in a thin cardboard box.
Regards,
Steve :cautious::((n)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
glad to hear you got your money back, but sorry cant help you with solars panels. Try messaging Johns Cross Motorhomes or DMS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back