Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I've found a classified ad on Ebay to be by far the most effective and successful. Personally I don't trust anything on Gumtree and only use it as research. Autotrader was the next best but trailed far behind Ebay.

As others have said, do your research on price as so many get it wrong and charge too much. Dealers have an element of VAT in their prices and usually offer some sort of warranty, so it's no use matching them. Don't expect to get your money back for extras (e.g. solar) that's just a bonus selling point. Pay the extra cost of large clear photos all around the outside and everywhere inside. Make sure all the photos are the right way up. Be honest, tell them everything that matters, declare blemishes/faults etc..

When someone comes to view show them round, step back and answer their questions honestly, ignore any derogatory comments and don't get into an argument, that will lose you the sale! Then leave them to talk, look at all the paperwork and sit in the MH for as long as they like (keep hold of the keys!!). Finally a cup of tea/coffee and cake/biscuits will work wonders in convincing them that you're nice enough to trust and you may just have a deal!

In my opinion only a Bank Transfer is safe and secure. Cheques and Bankers Drafts have been known to fail well after the usual 5 working days to clear them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If people on here want to but it at the buy it now be transparent just say what you are going to do otherwise people feel they have been diddled. I would say first arrange to come and look gets first dibbs (but if several are interested they need to know what the score is with the others you don't want to let someone coming miles to look when you know someone else is coming just before them) if they make a low offer having seen the van its up to you if theres no interest and you want rid take it or say what your lowest price is to deal ,if you have lots of others point that out if they won't go to a price you are happy with no deal. The other option is first to say they are interested gets first go even if they can't come and look for ages by which time someone else might have gone elsewhere.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had a fixed price trade in deal on our last van so knew the lowest price we would accept. We also tried a couple of the "we buy your motorhome" dealers who quoted lower prices than the trade in.

When we advertised on Gumtree and ebay we had the usual scam messages and email (no one buys a motorhome without seeing it!) and three people came to look. One was obviously a tire kicker, for another lady it was not suitable (not enough travel seats) but was in her price range, she'd brought her Dad with her and I pulled him aside to say to him it was not the van for her and I would not be happy selling it to her, the last man said he would have to take out the refillable gas system and make good "the damage" that fitting it had caused and was very unpleasant - offered us £5,000 less than the trade in which we politely declined as we already had the trade in price.

In the end we did trade in :) The dealer sold in on within the week at a small profit to him so it was win/win.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unfortunately a bidding war is often an indication of an untrustworthy seller. common manners dictates that the first to offer full price gets the first opportunity to buy before even considering the second or third

asking people to up their bid on your word that somebody else bid more makes you sound a fraudster

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
unfortunately a bidding war is often an indication of an untrustworthy seller. common manners dictates that the first to offer full price gets the first opportunity to buy before even considering the second or third

asking people to up their bid on your word that somebody else bid more makes you sound a fraudster

Yes exactly my feelings, I just want to see a van and make an offer, I am very uneasy with bidding wars.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Agree I meant in my post if someone offered the buy it now price but tried to go lower when they saw it in the flesh!.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
if you want to put your van in front of the most people, Ebay is the place to do it , classified ad at the price you want, and only deal with people you want to deal with. Its a two way street.. expect a genuine buyer to want to view no matter how much hassle it is , nobody buys a MH unseen , and if they are keen to , just let them pass.

Dont sign up for a broker, they are making money for selling something they dont own, and stopping you selling it to your mate at work in the mean time.

The key is, dont be stupid and greedy, just apply the same logic that you would use as a buyer , and if it doesnt seem right , be smart.

As has been said , Gumtree is for selling kitchen tables.. they put your address on the advert, its just online shopping for theives.

My advice is that you will get a better price in january than now, and the longer you have it, the more buyers will be coming to market.. its like selling a convertible in October , who buys a summer toy in Autumn

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The thing is Jac said in the advert she put on here, price £29,999 for quick sale, so the first person to view and offer that should get it. That is how I would work as it doesn't mention anything about that being a starter/starting auction price.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
First there with the means to pay, or a decent enough deposit gets it. In the trade , you look for 'enough to cover your arse if it goes tits up' ... £500 minimum.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The thing is Jac said in the advert she put on here, price £29,999 for quick sale, so the first person to view and offer that should get it. That is how I would work as it doesn't mention anything about that being a starter/starting auction price.
Yes that sounds to me like a definite price offer !!!!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016

Thanks Paul,
I looked back and this is what I posted
'will be ready to roll soon. Giving a heads up on this site before going to eBay when it's ready.
It'll be listed for £29,999 for a quick sale.'
I should have said start or reserve price on eBay I apologise. I assumed people would know eBay was an auction not a set price. It may still go at that lower price as no one has seen it yet.
Sorry for not being clearer.
I am however now telling people after advice on here, that the buy it now price will be £32,000 and if that is not met then it'll go on eBay with a reserve price of £29,999.
A number of people are going to look at it before it goes out on eBay but I can't start the viewings till early January.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've sold quite a few vehicles with eBay and gumtree.
The downside to eBay is once you list it there on an auction you get hell from eBay if you later remove it.
I've had adds running before where I've clearly stated it's advertised elsewhere and reserve the right to remove if sold etc and still got grief for doing so.

Ebays fees can be a little crazy especially on auctions as it goes on percentage of final price etc so watch out for that.
At this time of year both will be a struggle if it's a camper your selling

I sold my last two vans through gumtree both fetched full asking price and sold within a week of being listed ....id wait till February if it's a camper.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
I',m only doing it if the people who've seen it on here don't want it at the buy it now price. Meanwhile I'm answering questions privately on pm

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
final sale price on ebay is limited to £75 for vehicles but most people choose fixed price classifieds that are half the cost

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We've bought and sold quite a few cars and caravans on Ebay. We sold our caravan in September, it's on it's way to New Zealand as the guy exports them out there......apparently they love our caravans as they have a higher spec? Really easy straightforward sale, he told us to keep the gas bottles as he'd have to take them off before export anyway so we sold them separately....payment received via bank transfer.

We bought our Itineo about 6 weeks ago via Ebay, it was about a 3 hour drive away, the seller was a really nice guy, made us hot drinks (it was a freezing cold day) and offered the use of his bathroom. He showed us round, answered all of our questions, pointed out the odd minor problems and basically left us alone in the van so we could have a good mooch and chat........we made an offer, he accepted.....we left a deposit via bank transfer. (we never get involved with Paypal due to their fees)

We did the usual checks, for outstanding finance/write offs etc. Plus a few other checks (i'm a bit paranoid when parting with 30k +:)) when we went to pick Fi Fi (our name for her:D) up, it was a bit scary transferring that amount of money, but all I can say is I checked and double checked (as much as I could) the seller was who he said he was etc, and I guess he did the same with us.

Ebay is our preferred selling site, we ignore the 'I'll give you £500 and pick it up tonight' type of offers:sleep: - but - check, check and double check anyone out, and don't accept Paypal:)
Why shouldn't he accept Paypal,i though it was reliable ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Paul,
I looked back and this is what I posted
'will be ready to roll soon. Giving a heads up on this site before going to eBay when it's ready.
It'll be listed for £29,999 for a quick sale.'
I should have said start or reserve price on eBay I apologise. I assumed people would know eBay was an auction not a set price. It may still go at that lower price as no one has seen it yet.
Sorry for not being clearer.
I am however now telling people after advice on here, that the buy it now price will be £32,000 and if that is not met then it'll go on eBay with a reserve price of £29,999.
A number of people are going to look at it before it goes out on eBay but I can't start the viewings till early January.

No probs Jac, at least things a much clearer now, the price is £32000, whoever comes up with that first can buy it.

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
As has been said , Gumtree is for selling kitchen tables.. they put your address on the advert, its just online shopping for theives.

It certainly is not just for selling kitchen tables, I have now sold two campers and my daughter’s car via gumtree.... As for putting your address on there, when you post your ad you can easily tick the box not to show your address!
About 4 years ago I had a caravan on eBay with a ‘buy it now’ price.
Twice, I had people click to buy now, which immediately ends the auction.
Both times they failed to pay and I had to pay the ebay fees with no comeback or assistance from eBay! eBay is known to protect buyers, but not so much the sellers.
My advice is to not have a ‘buy it now’ option, because it enables people to muck you about, and if they never pay, there is very little you can do about it.
Straightforward classified ad where they contact you to view is the best option.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It certainly is not just for selling kitchen tables, I have now sold two campers and my daughter’s car via gumtree.... As for putting your address on there, when you post your ad you can easily tick the box not to show your address!
About 4 years ago I had a caravan on eBay with a ‘buy it now’ price.
Twice, I had people click to buy now, which immediately ends the auction.
Both times they failed to pay and I had to pay the ebay fees with no comeback or assistance from eBay! eBay is known to protect buyers, but not so much the sellers.
My advice is to not have a ‘buy it now’ option, because it enables people to muck you about, and if they never pay, there is very little you can do about it.
Straightforward classified ad where they contact you to view is the best option.
If agree with every word of that

I've easily sold 200 vehicles through gumtree with few problems
Yes you get wasters but unlike eBay the add is free.

And I second your comment regarding eBay siding with buyers

I once had a solicitor look in to a transaction I had on eBay where I sold a set of alloys to someone who then done a chargeback through his credit card company and PayPal resulting in me losing the wheels and his money being refunded.

The solicitors verdict

As a seller you have minimal rights

I now rarely sell anything through eBay but I buy loads from it

Deleted User
False Paypal links are a common source of fraud on Ebay and if you are a buyer then Paypal doesn't provide any protection when purchasing a vehicle.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We bought both our vans OFF E bay

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

It costs a lot and there are a few frauds with faked paypal accounts.

Best to do a bank transfer or cash paid in to your account when you go to the bank with the buyer.

A genuine buyer won't mind you making checks :) so ask for photo ID and proof of address. It goes the other way as well so be prepared to prove who you are.

Once the transfer has gone into your account then move the money elsewhere in case of a claim back. Don't accept a cheque as the funds can be claimed back for quite a while after you think the cheque has cleared.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We did Bank transfers
although our bank did balls one up and took several hours of stress to sort

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've sold vehicles on both classified and auction Ebay listings. Auction I think can work best if you've got a particularly desirable vehicle - I had an Audi where the 1st owner had spent a ridiculous amount on the options list, including a 6 month wait for a non-standard paint colour to be applied at the factory. I sold it on Ebay for a decent amount more than the book price, it attracted the car enthusiasts as it was rare with a very high spec.

On the other hand with a bog standard car I tend to sell them on Ebay classifieds if they're a cheapie or Autotrader if higher value - they're common and not desirable enough for someone to go out of their way to use an auction, unless they're just trying to get one cheap. Most prefer to look at a vehicle then have the certainty that they are buying it or not there and then by haggling.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
They are both one and the same, have done both ! but watch with ebay as some sellers tell serious porkies about condition !
Just always remember to do a good HPI and M.O.T. check to verify everything is ok !!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
They are both one and the same, have done both ! but watch with ebay as some sellers tell serious porkies about condition !
Just always remember to do a good HPI and M.O.T. check to verify everything is ok !!
What's an HPI please?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I'm going to post a frank no holds barred video of the van on here for interested parties. There is some wear and tear after 12 years of course

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As others have said eBay is a great selling medium but on expensive items only use a Cassified Add, do not put it up for auction, too many problems if things go wrong. Untill last year I was a busness seller on eBay as said any problems ebay always come down on the side of the buyer they couldn't care a toss about the seller.
For payment don't take PayPal the only safe method is bank transefer and since the new faster payments system was introduced a few years ago they can't recall the payment so very safe.
Unlesss you really know what you are doing and deal with large amounts of cash on a daily basis don't take cash. Even if you pay the cash into the bank before letting the van go it's not 100%, large amounts paid in will be checked at the end of the day, so if you have been dupped with forgeries you will loose your money.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As others have said eBay is a great selling medium but on expensive items only use a Cassified Add, do not put it up for auction, too many problems if things go wrong. Untill last year I was a busness seller on eBay as said any problems ebay always come down on the side of the buyer they couldn't care a toss about the seller.
For payment don't take PayPal the only safe method is bank transefer and since the new faster payments system was introduced a few years ago they can't recall the payment so very safe.
Unlesss you really know what you are doing and deal with large amounts of cash on a daily basis don't take cash. Even if you pay the cash into the bank before letting the van go it's not 100%, large amounts paid in will be checked at the end of the day, so if you have been dupped with forgeries you will loose your money.
Another option if its cash is go to the bank counter with the seller and pay it in it might not guarantee they aren't forged but if they know they are dodgy they won't be keen!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back