Eating out healthily? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We have some really nice meals out but they are often mostly chicken, beef or cheese and we also overdo frites.

We are new to touring France, in Montreuil at the moment (I was meant to be heading E from Arras but forgot to engage satnav) and thinking that for longer tours we should really eat more healthily (at least some of the time!) when out, could I have some ideas?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Look for new potatoes instead of chips, lentil based meals, sweet potato, chicken breast with salad is healthy.
Tuna steak, fresh mackerel, jacket potato with salad or tuna.
Plenty of vegetables.

Germany pork schnitzel, sauerkraut, neues kartofeln( New taties)
Sauerkraut is really healthy and great for your stomach/gut.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Our pleasure is to go to markets, buy whatever looks nice, and make a meal out of that. Although it is tempting, we try to limit our dining-out to once a week, but to be honest, I think a lot of 'everyday' restos have lost their mojo (how seventies is that?) these days. All delivered in boil-in-the bags by giant food companies. That's why 'magnet de canard (duck) is more or less the same wherever you go, etc. There was this 'Faites Maison' (home made) movement a while back, but those signs don't seem as prominent now. And we can't justify the prices of the more expensive places.

There are plenty of apps and websites that will give the days the markets take place, Tourist Info of an area is the best.

And, if you are new to France, some of the Relais Routier places open in the evening. Again their website will tell you which.

If you don't know about them, just ask and somebody, if not me, will explain the brilliant concept that it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Fish and seafood- although if you were meant to be going East from Arras you may be heading away from areas where they’re particularly the speciality?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just off for pizza as it's our last night in Italy. I find it difficult to eat healthily in Italy!

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I would of thought Italy would of been quite good on the eating out front?

We tend as we eat a vegetarian diet in the camper.

When we do eat out it tends to be pizza based or chips but not that often.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When in France I seem to eat far too much pastry, certainly more than back home; breakfast pain-au-choc/croissants and lunchtimes bread, mainly deliciously filled baguettes.
When eating out it always seems quite difficult to get a meal with jolly good old-fashioned fresh veg.
But I manage. :giggle:
(Maybe that's why the taking of laxatives seems to be so popular in France).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We don't eat much Pizza at home, or out, in The UK, but I can forgive everyone, even those on a diet, for ordering a real Italian hand stretched pizza all over Italy. They are delicious, so many toppings to choose from its amazing, we normally order two completely different types and share between us.
The Swordfish Steaks with that amazing anchovy/mushroom based cream sauce, or the various shell fish based Risottos are really hitting the top mark of cuisine.
The delicate salad dressings make you want to eat the whole thing if they arrive before the mains. Dipping that lovely Ciabatta Bread into the salad dressing, makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
The wines can be a bit hit or miss though, especially in Sicily, we seem to get better Sicilian wines on offer back here in The UK supermarkets, brands that are not on the shelf over there.;)

Good Food For Good Times....Cheers Everyone.(y):giggle:
LES

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have some really nice meals out but they are often mostly chicken, beef or cheese and we also overdo frites.

We are new to touring France, in Montreuil at the moment (I was meant to be heading E from Arras but forgot to engage satnav) and thinking that for longer tours we should really eat more healthily (at least some of the time!) when out, could I have some ideas?
Someone's already suggested new potatoes, if you want em boiled, the French is 'pommes vapeur' (literally steamed - but it's unnecessary to actually say 'de terre' you wouldn't really want steamed apples for your main course!

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Fish and seafood- although if you were meant to be going East from Arras you may be heading away from areas where they’re particularly the speciality?
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. We are in Saint Valery sur Somme now, our second time here and our first ever galette and what a lovely lunch it was! One was chicken and mushroom with an egg on top, and the other was the special du jour not entirely sure what was in it but lots of veg including lovely potatoes. As you turn left out of the aire turn first left follow hill down to high street and it's on the corner next to the boulangerie.

We will be carrying on our Nord exploration in a couple of days but for now we hope to cycle to Crotoy today and book seafood for tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We are looking forward to having a propper curry in a few weeks, unhealthy you bet, bothered not in the least, too late in life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't think eating out in general anywhere in the world is likely to be healthy. In most cultures when you eat out it tends to be things that traditionally would be a treat. I know it's a generalisation but in the past they were often things involving lots of meat or sugary deserts. When we're in France the thing I notice is how little veg is served.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I would of thought Italy would of been quite good on the eating out front?

It is but when Pizza or Pasta are on offer it's to tempting to try anything else.

Their starters are odd - tend to be a plate of cold meat or cheese.

You can get nice salads.

Their main courses are also odd - again could be a plate with a steak on it - no accompaniment.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
Try and incorporate more healthy choices when you're not eating out. Fruit for breakfast, salad or something light for lunch and then you've got more give when eating out in the evening to be a bit more calorie dense.

I would think it's only a problem if you are having a fry up for breakfast, a cooked meal at lunchtime and a 3 course dinner in the evening!

You could look at side dishes on the menu and swap out fries for extra veg or salad, if you're having pasta avoid the creamy sauces, maybe choose rice over potatoes that kind of thing. A protein source for dinner isn't the problem it's everything that goes with it.

I prepare fruit and put it in a container when in the van as I do at home, you're more likely to eat it when someone has already done the prep work, you can grab that instead of a pastry!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back