Jonxt225

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Tribute 670
Exp
1 year
Hi, Have just got a used two wheeled Hydratrail and loaded the bike up for the first time.

My question is concerning fitting the wheels. With the frame lifted on the jack, I slide each wheel in from the front ( closest to the vehicle) with the spring loaded pin pulled back. When in alignment I release the pin and it goes in with a clunk. When I look at the unit I notice that the pin only goes about 3/4 of the way through the outer box section and through one side of the inner wheel frame box section although there are corresponding holes that suggest the pin might go all the way through. It is the same for both wheels.
I am off on a long trip fairly soon and unfortunately the company that makes the unit are on holiday shutdown at present.

I would be really grateful if anyone who has one of these could confirm that the pin does not go all the way through.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A picture would assist.

But the pin does not go through both sections and out of the other side. If I remember from mine the pin travel was about an inch. The handle for pulling the sprung loaded pin out should end up flush with the box section. ie: back where it started before you pulled it. (y)

OP
OP
J

Jonxt225

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Tribute 670
Exp
1 year
Great thanks for the confirmation It is about an inch and the handle does return to it's initial position
Do you have any tips? I am going to Ireland the bike is about 100kg,I have fitted new wheel bearings and tyres.A quick test run has shown the van (tribute 670) is unaffected by the bike on the hydratail, at least up to 60mph and I don't intend going any faster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We took ours to Spain quite a few times and never had any problems with it.

Its sold now (we changed the van) and if I had kept it would probably have used a ramp to get the bike off instead of jacking it up and down all the time.

I found ours was very intolerant of bumpy pitches. If the jack was in a bit of a hole or on a hump or there was a slope then there was not enough travel on the jack to lift the platform enough to get the wheels on or off as required.

We had a 165kg Vespa 300GTS on it and we had fitted air assist on the back axle and it towed great.

Just remember the rear end swing if you park next to a kerb or a hedge. I did severely trim a hedge on one site we stopped on in Spain. :rolleyes:

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
I've done quite a few long Europe trips with mine, excellent bit of kit, but as MikeD says, it does have its limitations in standard form.
I made a ramp for mine, along with a few other mods, makes it so much quicker and easier to load/unload. I bought one of these
for strapping the bars down, means I can do it all single handed.
A couple of pics of my new spare wheel carrier

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
OP
OP
J

Jonxt225

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Tribute 670
Exp
1 year
Thanks, really useful information.
I was already thinking about mounting a spare wheel in a similar position to yours,or even two on an axle so that I could roll the deck around single handed whilst the wheels were off. I balanced one end on a skateboard to get it close to the van. I was also thinking about a ramp and possibly a locking toolbox for the the lifting gear.
Do you use a cover? I have a large one but it would take so much strapping up I probably wont bother.
The handlebar strap looks quite nifty, do you use the frame that goes over the seat as well?

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
No, I don’t bother with a cover, as you say, too much strapping down and I don’t like loose covers flapping on paintwork.
I do use the over seat frame, modified that with another u bolt through, means I can pull it down with straps to the outrigger bars, makes it all really secure.
Definitely get a ramp, I hardly ever use the jack now, so much quicker. I’m also in the process of making a locking box to mount on there, keeps it all out of the van. I also mounted a camera under the van tow bar so I can see the trailer wheels, as I had one not rotate after reversing once, also useful to check pressures are ok

OP
OP
J

Jonxt225

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Tribute 670
Exp
1 year
Thanks again, where did you get the ramp from ?

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Made it myself at work :)
Any sheet metal place should be able to bend one up for you, use a bit thicker Ally checker plate than the one that’s there though as it won’t be strong enough, unless you brace it. 2nd one stores nicely over the outrider tubes. I drilled through both and pinned each end to secure it in transit. Can take a couple of pics later if you like

OP
OP
J

Jonxt225

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Tribute 670
Exp
1 year
Thanks again, I have seen some cheap folding ally ones on ebay so might give that a go

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back