Easylifter Hydra Trail securing bike safely? (1 Viewer)

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Well the Hydra trail was delivered just before the "Lock down" so not been able to fit the bracket to motorhome, or try it out yet. I`m interested to know how you all fix your bikes securely. The instruction video just shows the bike being pushed onto the platform, with the front wheel in the fixing, and the seat post securing the bike, and that`s it? I really don`t want to compress the front suspension so was thinking of using the tyre fixing and seat post along with the Acebikes Tyrefix on the rear wheel (link below), with a front brake lock to stop movement? Would be interested to know if anybody else uses a "Non compression" type of securing system, or the more traditional handlebar straps. I will be carrying a 2015 Honda Fireblade. Thanks
<Broken link removed>

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use a trailer and put a hard block under the frame below the engine and tighten the bike down onto that, therefore no suspension compression. I assume it would work with the Hydra.

OP
OP
Jeff James

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for the response. I get what you mean, but I think I may struggle with the Fireblade as there is no frame under the bike, the engine is used as a stressed frame, and also the underside of the bike is fully covered with a lower fairing.

463-6-1712-l.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Briliant. A Motorhome thread and one with motorcycle pics as well. How I miss them , Yes seriously all this pontification crap about the V word is doing my head in. I'm only sorry I cant help with the question I put a scooter inside.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Whatever others may say I have built in redundancy with the straps. I use 6 on the basis that I have had one give way once but had others which prevented damage from taking place. Also use straps with clip on hooks which have a retention clip which has to be released.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
On my Hydra trail I use a short strap on the base of the rear wheel and then long straps over the front and rear of the bike, but this does compress the suspension which I don't worry about.
I do like the look of that Tyrefix though.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure what your concerns are regarding compressing the suspension, I've been doing it for years with all sorts of bikes (modern & classics) and never had a problem

The TyreFix for the rear is a good idea

IMG_20190916_104305.jpg
5.JPG
DSC01211.JPG

OP
OP
Jeff James

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Thanks all for the responses, really helpful. My concern about compressing the suspension is around how tight to strap them down, so the bike doesn't bounce around too much, but not too much so you risk popping the folk seals. Nasher are you using handlebar straps, or just a single straps on each handrail? By the way love the Mike Hailwood replica!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Jeff

They are handle bar straps with protection for the top yoke - I've used the same set for 12 years

I just nip them down so that the suspension compresses about an inch - drive for a few miles & then re-tighten them - just make sure the bike is upright! (when I had my VW T5 I used to leave it leaning to the left slightly and then rather than stop after a few miles to adjust, just reach behind & crank down on the right ratchet, checking it was straight in the mirror!)

The Suzuki Gixer 750 in the last pic has been trailered and/or in the back of a van for at least 10,000 miles. It had over 30,000 miles on the clock when I sold it and still on the original suspension & seals

The classic Honda race bike has done at least 3,000 in the back of the van & lots of laps around the isle of man TT on the same fork seals

If you consider the force of braking with (say) a 17 stone man on a fireblade from 170 mph, whilst going over bumps , you wouldn't be worried about a bit of pressure from a ratchet strap!

I think the stories about blowing fork seals are 'bloke down the pub" stories that happened to "a mate" who's forks were probably knackered before it was strapped down! These stories are then spread around by social media - there's quite a bit of that goes on about motorhomes in this social media site?

I restored the Honda a few years back - before & after pics:

01 - Copy.jpg
Copy 2018-08-27-154.jpg

OP
OP
Jeff James

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
Many thanks for the info. Will look for a good quality set of handle bar straps to go with the rear wheel strap. I've never towed a motorbike, so lots to learn, but I'm sure after a few trips it will fall into place.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As said before if using straps with ‘s’ hooks on its best to swap hooks for something like this.Also I used to use climbing slings to wrap around fork legs beteen yoke or around handle bars and rear rack.
F6EAF241-2FAA-4C38-B666-D4B554ACAA3B.jpeg

EDF136C5-59F2-4BA4-BFC9-F4167782790B.png
EDF136C5-59F2-4BA4-BFC9-F4167782790B.png

OP
OP
Jeff James

Jeff James

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
High top motorhome
Exp
since 2009
That`s great, thanks for the info. Hoping to get handle bar straps with the hooks, and spring safety catch already on them, if they are out there! Will hit Google later on for a look!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
That`s great, thanks for the info. Hoping to get handle bar straps with the hooks, and spring safety catch already on them, if they are out there!

We use bath waste tube cut to length and split which fits over the front forks to prevent them compressing on the Harleys, together with carbines at the trailer end on the straps. Works a treat as the bikes sit close together on the trailer so cannot afford any movement :giggle:

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back