Easy One Pot One Ring Cooking..... (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I usually cook what I have available using one ring and a thick bottomed, deep saute/frying pan with a lid. This worked out well today and was easy to do so I thought I would post the rather rough and ready 'recipe'

Chicken Chorizo with Chargrilled Veg

Per Chicken Breast
-chop and slice a medium onion - I used red onions as they are a bit sweeter
-add a tablespoon olive oil to pan and 'sweat' the onions - i.e. don't fry them till brown, just gently with the pan lid on till looking transparent
-while onions are cooking chop about one inch of chorizo per chicken breast, you can double this if you like it spicy and flavoursome - I use Lidl's chorizo which keeps for ages in the fridge
-add chopped chorizo, stir into the softened onions, then place the chicken breast on top
-add a small handful of frozen chargrilled veg. You could use sliced fresh peppers and courgettes in you prefer.
-bring up to good temperature with lid on then turn to lowest or just above.

Thats it really

Leave until chicken breasts are tender and no pink juices come out when tested with a knife

The 'gravy' will be very tasty but thin. You can either remove everything bar the liquid and boil down rapidly till it looks the consistency you like make sure you watch it so it doesnt burn, or if you prefer mix a teaspoonful of cornflour with cold water until it is like thin cream, and stir into gravy whilst pan is off heat. Then return to full heat stirring until thickened.

You will need -
Chicken Breasts
Onions
Frozen Char Grilled Veg or fresh Peppers and Courgettes
Chorizo
Olive Oil - butter or corn oil would do.
Cornflour if you like a thickened sauce

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sounds delicious.

I 'invented something the other day.. from leftovers..

Steam a pointy cabbage

Meanwhile, grill some chops. Lamb is best but pork works

In another pan, use a little oil to fry some beetroot slices. I use the precooked ones. Once the beetroot is changing colour, turn them over and add some chopped bacon pieces

Once the beetroot has started to Brown on the 2nd side, toss fry the beetroot and bacon until all the bacon is pink and cooked then add about 100ml of double cream to the pan. Stir and leave on a high heat while you create a bed on the plates with the cabbage. Reduce the cream stirring well until you have a thick sauce around your beetroot and bacon then serve over the cabbage accompanied by the chops.

Pretty colour and delicious but I just relised hardly so single pot.. sorry

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's not really a one pot, one ring recipe if you're using a microwave! Wouldn't be any use to us as we don't have a microwave in the van (nor want one!).

However sounds tasty and I'm sure you could just add the spinach and steam for a few minutes.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I was just going to add a ps

I was cooking 4 chicken breasts. One for me today, one to go cold for slicing tomorrow and 2 portions for the freezer, but had I been going to eat it all tonight I would just put the spinach on the top and cook for the last few minutes.

But the spinach was only a suggestion. The recipe was for the chicken really :(

I must admit I love my microwave never having had one before :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If Phoebe is a dog, they shouldn't really eat onions.

1. Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Gosh - I wish I hadn't posted this now(n).

I have kept Great Danes since the 1960's and most of mine live to eleven or twelve. I have feed them cooked bones, raw bones (when everyone said that would kill them) salty food, chocolate, well, just about anything really. I think she is looking pretty good for an old one on my regime.

Uig Beach Isle of Lewis Outer Hebrides

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
@dippingatoe from my experience with retrievers and Spaniels

A. If they want it they will eat it
B. If they eat it and it makes them feel unwell next time they will leave it in the bowl.

Actually B isn't true of retrievers who will steal and eat anything left unguarded whether it's chicken, onions or soap... But I'm assuming Danes are brighter than retrievers.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If Phoebe is a dog, they shouldn't really eat onions.

1. Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.
you beat me to posting the same. when youve seen dogs die from eating onions, grapes or chocolate, you would never risk it again. its a horrible painful way to die

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
you beat me to posting the same. when youve seen dogs die from eating onions, grapes or chocolate, you would never risk it again. its a horrible painful way to die

Our Tosh used to break into the greenhouse and eat the grapes off the lower branches of the vine. Mind you, he was a retriever...

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
@dippingatoe thank you so much for this recipe, I've seen chorizo for sale in aldi/lidl but not bought any, no excuse now.

Beautiful dog too, same name as my daughter (y)
Pleased you like the RECIPE :) and Phoebe of course

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I have heard that is bad for dogs !

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@dippingatoe from my experience with retrievers and Spaniels

A. If they want it they will eat it
B. If they eat it and it makes them feel unwell next time they will leave it in the bowl.

Actually B isn't true of retrievers who will steal and eat anything left unguarded whether it's chicken, onions or soap... But I'm assuming Danes are brighter than retrievers.

Setters are the same as spaniels, or at least ours was.

Our Tosh used to break into the greenhouse and eat the grapes off the lower branches of the vine. Mind you, he was a retriever...

And strawberries and carrots. The dog used to pull the fleece off the strawberry beds and eat the ripe ones. She would also dig up carrots and eat them.......

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Okay - here's another recipe - this one microwave and dog free!

I used Chicken Breast again as I normally have that around, but it would work with prawns or fish. In that case cook the veg first then add the marinated fish

So you will need to marinate the chicken breast first. You could put it in a polythene bag in the fridge - I just put the marinade and chicken in the pan I was going to cook in

-Spread the breast with 1/2 teaspoon of Very Lazy Garlick and 1/2 teaspoon Very Lazy Ginger.- You could use fresh chopped but I didn't have any
-Pour over a bit more than a dessertspoonful of Soy Sauce - I like the dark one
-A tablespoon of oil (peanut oil is best but any will do)
-Three squirts of chilli oil - again you could use fresh chopped chilli if you have it.
-Leave to marinade for about 30 mins turning occasionally. If using the polythene bag in fridge method then just mush it about a bit every so often
-While it is marinading peel and slice one medium onion per breast. You can slice it in straight in the pan with the chicken.

Turn the heat onto high, lightly brown the chicken breast turning once and stirring the onions so they don't burn. Turn the heat down and cook till chicken is almost tender, with no pink juices coming out when sharp knife is inserted.

Add vegetables. I used some sliced red, yellow and green pepper, and some mange tout, but you could vary the veg to something else - say mushrooms or baby sweetcorn.

If chicken and veg is not going to be filling enough add some stir fry noodles

Then cook for 5 to 10 minutes till vegetables are done to your preference.

Serve and enjoy

For one chicken breast you will need

Medium onion, sliced
Garlic
Ginger
Chilli
Soy Sauce
Peppers
Mange Tout
Stir Fry Noodles if wanting to bulk the meal out.

I marinaded and cooked two chicken breasts - one of which I will leave to go cold and have with salad or as a sandwich

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Here's another one - maximum washing up involves 1 knife, 1 chopping board, 1 spoon, 1 frying pan, 1 lid (could you use the plate you will serve up on)

CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH ONION, BACON, MUSHROOM AND CHEESE

Ingredients for 2 people (if solo, one can be cooked and left for another day or frozen if you have a freezer)

2 chicken breasts
2 medium onions (I used red but white would do)
2 medium mushrooms
2 oz of cheese - brie is good or any softish cheese - stilton, dolcelatte, wenselydale - use your imagination ( and you can use the drier bits round the edges, but don't use over-ripe brie with an ammonia taste
1 rasher of bacon

-Slice onion and sweat gently in a good knob of butter (you could use any oil if you prefer)
-Meanwhile finely slice the mushrooms and bacon then add to the pan.
-When the onion is looking soft and transparent add the cheese cut into cubes and stir
-Cut a "pocket" into the sides of the chicken breasts then using the spoon fill the pocket with the stuffing.
-Put each breast back into the pan - if you have made too much stuffing take it out and put into the fridge for use as a topping for toast, pasta or a baked potato
-Turn up heat for about 4-5 mins then carefully turn chicken breasts over and turn heat to minimum
-Put whatever you want to serve them with on the top, such as fresh spinach leaves, green beans, mange tout, or quick cook noodles
-Cover pan and leave to simmer until all is cooked to your liking (shouldn't take too long)
-Remove everything bar the sauce which has formed
-Reduce the sauce, or if you want something a bit more special add a dessertspoon of double cream and a small splash of whisky, brandy or any fortified wine such as sherry or port.
-Increase the heat a bit and stir until the sauce looks like the sort of consistency you prefer

If you don't have some of the ingredients just leave them out -it will still work, with the exception of the chicken of course, and the onions, which can be substituted with a bit of garlic, or maybe spring onions.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having just got back from the Chinese takaway with Pork Curry and Mushroom fried rice.....

I think I will stick to my method of food preparation :p Less work, less time and less washing up :roflmto::clap:

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
PORK CHOPS WITH PEAR AND GINGER

I had some pears which needed using up today so....

You can use pork chops or those pork medallion things they seem to sell now. If they are chops and have a lot of fat I would cut at least some of it off first, but most chops seemed to come ready trimmed these days

For each chop (or two thinner cuts of pork) you will need

- 1 medium size pear (or half a large one) peeled cored and cut into eight longways
- A little under 1" of root ginger (you can use powdered ginger to taste if no fresh) peeled and finely sliced or chopped ( I slice mine with a vegetable peeler)
- Dessertspoon of Balsamic Vinegar ( at a push you could use teaspoon of white wine vinegar and a teaspoon or less of brown sugar or honey)

Season the pork on both sides with salt and pepper
Heat some oil in a pan and lightly brown on both sides
Remove pork from pan and put aside to rest lightly wrapped in some silver foil
Over a lowish heat put pear slices, ginger and vinegar in pan with pork juices and cook for a few minutes turning every so often to stop it burning
Return chops to pan
Add vegetables ( I had mange tout and purple sprouting)
Cover with lid and cook over med low heat for about 5 or 6 mins till veg is done

With purple spouting or tender stem broccoli if it is a bit on the thick side just cut it in halves or quarters longwise and it will cook much faster

Remove pork and veg to serving plate. Stir up pears and either add a squirt of chilli oil, or a shake of five spice powder depending on your tastes.

PS - I did more chops than I needed and will leave to go cold, cut into thin strips they will make a tasty lunch added cold slaw or pototo salad and served with salad.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A variation of the recipe in the OP is to add chickpeas instead of the veg, plus a tin of tomatoes and of course garlic with the onions, which I would add to the original recipe anyway. You can also use tinned beans, such as cannelloni, as a variation instead of chickpeas.

Couscous is a good ingredient even if you only have one ring, but you do need a second pot to boil the water but as soon as it has boiled you can remove it and put the stew pot back on the heat. Use the recently boiled water to make the couscous which will be ready very quickly and won't cool down much.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Prompted by Devon Beekeepers post and the fact that for no good reason, other than they were cheap and might come in handy, I have been carting around a tin of chickpeas and a carton of Passata di Pom0dora (not sure what it is but has pictures of tomatoes on the carton) I made this tonight

CHICKEN WITH CHICKPEAS AND OLIVES

for one good large (or two small) chicken thighs you will need

- 2" piece of chorizo finely sliced
- 1 rasher of bacon finely chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced (I used red but white will do)
- 1/2 cup of tomatoes of some description
- 1/2 can of chickpeas (thoroughly washed and drained- cut the lid nearly off the tin and drain slimy stuff away, fill with water, slosh about and holding lid on tin drain water away)
- 1/2 cup of frozen char grilled Mediterranean vegetables
- 4 large or 6 small olives ( I had very large green ones, but those little ones stuffed with pimentos would be good)

Method
- Gently fry off the the chorizo and bacon in a tablespoon or two of oil until the fat begins to come out of it ( you can add chopped garlic as well, but I didn't have any)
- Add sliced onion to pan and gently fry until beginning to soften slightly
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook a few minutes on each side
- Add Mediterranean vegetables and olives
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently till chicken very tender
- Add drained chick peas and heat through

Serve in a bowl with bread if wanted or maybe on a plate with some green side salad.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Prompted by Devon Beekeepers post and the fact that for no good reason, other than they were cheap and might come in handy, I have been carting around a tin of chickpeas and a carton of Passata di Pom0dora (not sure what it is but has pictures of tomatoes on the carton) I made this tonight

CHICKEN WITH CHICKPEAS AND OLIVES

for one good large (or two small chicken thighs) you will need

- 2" piece of chorizo finely sliced
- 1 rasher of bacon finely chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced (I used red but white will do)
- 1/2 cup of tomatoes of some description
- 1/2 can of chickpeas (thoroughly washed and drained- cut the lid nearly off the tin and drain slimy stuff away, fill with water, slosh about and holding lid on tin drain water away)
- 1/2 cup of frozen char grilled Mediterranean vegetables
- 4 large or 6 small olives ( I had very large green ones, but those little ones stuffed with pimentos would be good)

Method
- Gently fry off the the chorizo and bacon in a tablespoon or two of oil until the fat begins to come out of it ( you can add chopped garlic as well, but I didn't have any)
- Add sliced onion to pan and gently fry until beginning to soften slightly
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook a few minutes on each side
- Add Mediterranean vegetables and olives
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently till chicken very tender
- and chick peas and heat through

Serve in a bowl with bread if wanted or maybe on a plate with some green side salad.
... and garlic, how can you not have garlic in the MH? We have a warning light on the dash to tell us if we are garlic-lite.*

But I must admit we add the chickpeas much earlier in the cooking and the boil down to the required consistency, but it isn't critical I suspect.

*well, more an audible warning. If I don't hear the sound "don't breathe on me" first thing in the morning I suspect we need to stock up on garlic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I want to clean out the fridge so decided to use up the odd veg.

I was going to have it with lamb chops, but it was so tasty I just had a big bowlful with some nice bread.

For one large portion - as a main meal (would do two as a side to meat)

- A good tablespoonful of nice Olive Oil
- 1 large onion sliced (I prefer red but white will do)
- some chopped garlic if you like it
- 4 big closed cap mushrooms - sliced
- 6 little sweet tomatoes cut in half
- a cupful of frozen char grilled mediterranean veg
- 4 big olives (or more smaller ones)
- a few cubes of Halomi cheese (or a similar type say mozzarella)
- ground black pepper
- a sprinkle of Aromat or similar seasoning
- a dash of red wine and a few drops of balsamic vinegar

- Put the onions in the pan with the olive oil and start to cook slowly so they don't brown
- When they start to soften add the garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes
- Cook for a while with the lid on the pan, then add the char-grilled veg
- Bring back to a good temperature with the lid off stirring so it doesn't catch or burn but any excess liquid is evaporated
- Turn heat to very low, add olives and cheese, cover and leave till cheese is looking gooey and delicious
- Serve in a soup bowl and eat with a spoon and some nice bread

It will work even if you don't have all the extra ingredients but the vegetables are essential

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
oooopphhs..... forgot to say add the dash of red wine and few drops of balsamic when you add the char-grilled veg. :)

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Lamb Steak with Honey and Ginger
You can serve this with a green salad, but I think it is nicer with Couscous

For each Lamb Steak you will need
  • 1” piece of root ginger peeled and finely sliced
  • spoonful of honey (runny honey is easier)
  • 1/2 small cup of mango or tropical mix fruit juice (normal fruit juice not fruit drink)
  • 2 pieces of celery finely sliced (you can use some of the tougher pieces, but not the really stringy outside ones)
  • 5 or 6 baby sweetcorn cut into chunks
  • Tablespoon good olive oil
  • Green Salad or Couscous

To cook:-
  • Season the lamb lightly with salt and pepper and put in a polythene bag with the fruit juice and half the ginger
  • Seal the bag and put in fridge for anything between half hour and a few hours mushing around when you remember.

• When you are ready to cook remove lamb from bag and pat dry with kitchen paper, but save the juices in the bag
  • Heat the olive oil in pan
  • Put lamb in pan with remaining sliced ginger
  • Pour over the honey over the lamb and cook on a moderate heat till lightly browned on both sides
  • Add celery to the pan and cook for a minute or two
  • Add sweetcorn chunks and give a stir round over the heat
  • Pour over the marinade and give another good stir to get any of the nice brown juices mixed in
  • Reduce heat then cover the pan and cook for about five minutes

• You can take the pan off the heat whilst you boil the kettle for the Couscous - and just return to a low heat when kettle has boiled

For Couscous I have to make 2 servings as my jug doesn’t have lower marking but then I use what is left for salad next day.

To cook the Couscous:
  • Put 100ml Couscous in bottom of measuring jug
  • Pour over boiling water to make it up to the 220 ml mark
  • Stir well and cover with a folded tea towel and leave a few minutes till cooked
  • When the meat is cooked fluff up the Couscous with a fork so it’s not lumpy
  • Fork the Couscous on one side of plate, put lamb steak on other side and pour sauce over Couscous
  • If you are eating it with a salad put salad one side and pour the sauce over the lamb

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@dippingatoe

Here is a flatbread recipe that I use with roasted mediterranean vegetables:

150g self raising flour
1tblsp olive oil
Pinch salt
About 4tblsp water

Mix flour and salt, olive oil and enough water to make a stiff dough.
Divide dough in 2 (or 4), roll out in rough circles on floured surface.
Cook on very hot griddle/frying pan for 2 minutes each side until very slightly charred.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back