Easy One Pot One Ring Cooking..... (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Here's a favourite recipe which we make in the 'van quite often. It can be eaten hot or cold with lots of crusty bread:
Chop onion, garlic, chillies (if liked) and red pepper. Fry gently in olive oil until softened.
Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer until thickened.
Drop a lump of feta cheese into the centre and heat until the cheese starts to melt.
Enjoy with a bottle of red :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Chorizo and chick pea hot pot

Fry some onion add sliced chorizo stir when browned slightly some sliced red pepper then red wine (drink some too from the bottle if no-ones looking) and a tin of chick peas (drained) and one of chopped tomatoes. Low heat for as long as you like (or the rest of the wine lasts) serve with rice or for one pot brown bread........with more wine.

David

Chorizo is a magic ingedient

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Chicken Livers with Balsamic Leeks

For one person you will need

2 or 3 Leeks (depending on size)
1 dessertspoon of balsamic vinegar
200 grams chicken livers (this is normally about half a packet - lambs' liver would work just as well)
Knob of Butter plus a dash of oil for cooking
I tablespoon double cream and 2 tablepoons of natural yoghurt (or 3 of just yoghurt)
I large teaspoonful wholegrain mustard
2 tablespoons of fortified wine (sherry/ port/maderia/marsala) - or tablespoon of whisky/brandy + 1 teaspoon honey

Method

-Remove the dark green from the leeks and slice the remainder finely
-Heat pan gently with knob of butter and squirt of oil (to stop the butter burning) then add the sliced leeks
-Cover the pan and cook very gently so they don’t brown at all
-Meanwhile remove any sinew from the liver (cats and dogs will be most grateful - and if not they are overfed :)
-Slice liver into evenly sized fingers, and lightly season with a small amount of salt and white pepper and sprinkle over a dusting of flour (not essential)
-When the leeks are soft and cooked, stir in a dessertspoon of balsamic vinegar then dish them onto a plate and cover with the pan lid to keep them warm
-Return pan to heat add another knob of butter and when gently sizzling add the fingers of liver
-Fry for a minute or so on one side then turn each piece over
-Add the cream/yoghurt and the fortified wine (or whisky and honey) to the pan with the wholegrain mustard
-Stir together thoroughly and leave to heat through for a minute or two with heat on low until the liver is cooked as you like it (I prefer it slightly pink in the middle)
-Pile the liver on top of leeks and pour the sauce over

You could serve this with Couscous or a good crusty bread if you are feeling very hungry, but I find it filling enough with just the leeks - and a glass of nice dry rose !

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
CHICKEN WITH ENDIVE AND BALSAMIC

Haven't added any recipes to this list lately, but here in France endives are incredibly cheap and thought I would start cooking with these

So .... for each person

1 chicken breast (I prefer mine skinned)
2" (50cm) piece of chorizo in small cubes, (or about a tablespoon of finely chopped bacon)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion sliced
I large endive (chicory) cut in half lengthwise
Balsamic Vinegar 1 to 2 teaspoons depending on your preference

Method

Heat oil in pan
Gently fry off chorizo or bacon
Turn up heat and add chicken breasts and lightly brown on both side
Add sliced onion and endive and cook for a while making sure they don't blacken
Sprinkle on the balsamic vinegar
Cover with a lid and lower the heat
Leave until chicken is cooked and onion and chicory is softened
Remove all from pan
Add a little water and 'deglaze' the pan making sure all the nice bits are stirred into your sauce (Helps with washing up)
When consistency of sauce looks right pour over chicory and vegetables and serve

PS I suppose you could add a lump of butter and some flour if you like a very thick sauce.

You could serve this with crusty bread, couscous or a green salad, but it was fine just on its own for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Having just got back from the Chinese takaway with Pork Curry and Mushroom fried rice.....

I think I will stick to my method of food preparation :p Less work, less time and less washing up :roflmto::clap:

and less money in your pocket :whistle: :)

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Ah, but have you seen the photos he has been posting in the what did you have for supper thread just lately. I think we have a convert to real food. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
and less money in your pocket :whistle: :)
My chinese meal cost me £8. If I were to cook it and then clean up after it would take me about an hour. Add in the cost of materials and my time at £15 per hour and the chinese works out cheaper.

I can use that extra hour to do more work or I can spend that time relaxing. That £8 for the meal which is actually 2 meals as I can't eat it all in one sitting works out at £4 a meal.. The way I look at it, it works out better for me to buy the chinese..

PS: I can rationalise anything I do no matter how daft :whistle::p

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Mousy , I can highly recommend the chorizo from Aldi, it's the only one I buy. They do two versions, mild and spicy and I always buy the spicy which gets added to all sorts of things, including shepherds pie. Good price also.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
image.jpeg
Molly will be 14 in June, loves her onion gravy and goodness knows what she nics out of the garden. I had her mum she died I her 14th year, loved onion gravy. Anyway ignorance is bliss, no more onions for you babe. Great recipes

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Can dogs eat ( tinned) tuna ?

One stand-by one pan dish I like is Tuna Fiesta, recipe very 70s and much made when we were camping with young children. Quantities are adjustable.

One tin tuna ( drained)
One chopped red, yellow or green pepper or all 3 if you like.
One chopped onion
I tin Campbell's Condensed tomato soup ( condensed bit is important)
Peas ( tinned or frozen) and / or frozen or tinned sweet corn.

Fry the onion, soften the pepper and then add the peas and sweetcorn, flaked tuna and tomato soup. Warm through thoroughly but don't let it boil.

Good with rice or pasta ( but that makes it two pot) or easier with a satchet of pre-cooked rice stirred in. There was no pre- cooked rice in the 70s so we used to have a chunk of crusty bread. I don't do it now as, shortly after the children left home, my husband told me he really doesn't like tinned tuna...

Doesn't sound much but it is very good and very easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I like to make dishes from what I currently have in the fridge and as I had been introducing some neighbours to the delights of Caribbean Punches I had some coconut goodies left over - so concocted this......

1 tablespoon coconut oil for frying (use olive oil if not available)
2 large cloves of garlic crushed and finely chopped
1 medium onion
15 cashew nuts or blanched almonds

1 skinned chicken breast sliced for stir frying
1 de-seeded and diced red pepper (or half if very large)
1 sliced leek including the green tops (make sure it is properly washed free from grit)
1 teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
I dessertspoon of coconut cream
1/2 cup of coconut milk such as Alpro or similar

Some quick cook noodles
A really good pinch of powdered cumin
A sprinkle of sea or rock salt

A little light Soy Sauce as a condiment after it is plated up

On a medium heat fry the nuts, garlic, and onions in coconut oil. Don’t let them burn
Add chicken, pepper, leek, ginger and cumin, and stir until chicken turns white.
Add coconut cream and blend in well
Add coconut milk and noodles and heat through till chicken is cooked and noodles are hot. 2 or 3 minutes should be enough
Sprinkle with salt to adjust seasoning

Put on warm plates with a little green salad on the side if liked and shake on some golden Soy sauce to individual taste.

This is a quick and tasty dish with plenty for two. I used the Zero Calorie noodles which I find very filling.

If you have been walking all day or have a hungry appetite to feed then maybe serve a basket of good bread on the side.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I also like to do left-overs.
The main thing for this quick-cook is left-over sprouts, cooked or raw.
Slice the sprouts thinly (about 6 slices per sprout) and stir-fry with chopped onion, pepper, green beans, any other veg, whatever you have, until slightly brown & crispy. Maybe add some Lea & Perrins. Serve on bread such as ciabatta, toasted rolls etc, with grated cheese on top - melted if you have a grill.
They don't taste like sprouts!

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
... and garlic, how can you not have garlic in the MH? We have a warning light on the dash to tell us if we are garlic-lite.*

I laughed out loud at this. Last night for the first time in forty years I found I had no garlic Stuck my hand in the garlic box to find nothing but a knarled up old clove and a bit of purple paper. I took it very personally.

I did however make some new friends when I did the round of vans begging for some.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had some rum punches in the Caribbean which were very simple, I only managed two and felt quite dizzy, must have been the heat.

Take a beer glass and fill with ice. Fill to about half an inch of the top with rum, add a splash of fruit juice (doesn't matter what as you won't taste it) drink. After the first you can dispense with the fruit juice altogether which makes it even simpler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back