LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wondered what are Funsters favourites for quick, easy food when on the move or parked up miles away from supermarkets for a while? We take ready (home) cooked pieces of chicken, sliced ham, boiled eggs, cooked pasta in sauce, prewashed salads, grated cheese & carrot, homemade chilli & curry frozen & pasties as well as tins of baked beans, tuna, sweetcorn & long life part baked bread which can cut & toasted. These make it easier to eat "real" food when on a shortish break away but thinking what else might work well for a longer break? Don't have a microwave or oven only a very slow grill & gas rings plus a Tefal Roast N Bake (like Remoska) for when on EHU. Please share any food ideas that you find useful.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If I think I am going to bother cooking meals when away ... not always worth it when on my own ... I take small tupperware containers with pre-chopped onions, peppers, or any other vegetables I have hanging around ... and I throw them all in a wok and stir fry ... Sometimes I add a cook in sauce if I have a jar in the fridge ... and sometimes I do a pan of rice .. the ten minute rice box .. Total cooking time ten minutes. Also in the van all the time is garlic, worcester sauce, black pepper, tins of tomatoes ... all which can be added if wished. I sometimes take pre-cooked boiled potatoes which when added can thicken up the mixture.

But then I am easily pleased.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hop
If I think I am going to bother cooking meals when away ... not always worth it when on my own ... I take small tupperware containers with pre-chopped onions, peppers, or any other vegetables I have hanging around ... and I throw them all in a wok and stir fry ... Sometimes I add a cook in sauce if I have a jar in the fridge ... and sometimes I do a pan of rice .. the ten minute rice box .. Total cooking time ten minutes. Also in the van all the time is garlic, worcester sauce, black pepper, tins of tomatoes ... all which can be added if wished. I sometimes take pre-cooked boiled potatoes which when added can thicken up the mixture.

Hope you bringing some to Ilfracombe joy now my taste buds are watering.

:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

Liar, there are no tins of tomatoes :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry Dawn .... I didn't have any that day cos everybody keeps borrowing em.. stocks now replenished!!!!:rofl:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Invest in a double skillet .
I have both sizes but usually only use the small one very economic on low gas ring .favourite is motorway chops onions sliced into pan lay a couple of chops on top and season make a thin gravy to half cover chops can also add green beens or you choice .place top lid on and when the smell gets to you 40 min approximately ready to eat have made this at sea or on road spuds done separately par boiled then lightly fried beats sarnies

Reactions: kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
A skillet is all I take with us, have 'roasted' a chicken to perfection in it. Don't like cooking, so come on with the suggestions please. All the motorhome/caravan cookbooks I've seen are OTT as in three course meals.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Cheesy pasta :
Cook pasta in the skillet with glass lid or top pan (top pan gets it nice and fluffy) make cheese sauce dice some ham or meat of choice or for the vegetarian leave out the meat .small tin of sweetcorn add all to pasta stir in the sauce thickened to you choice job done.If you have a grill to pop it under ....even better
(y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
With a Double Skillet and an Omnia stovetop oven we eat just like we do at home (err, hold up a minute, the van IS our home :eek:)

:D

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Its not that I can't cook like I do at home, Its that I don't want to. I love motorhoming but before OH and MH came on the seen I was an all inclusive kinda gal

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Stock up on sachets of microwave rice. Don't groan that you don't have a microwave - you dont need one ! The rice is ready cooked just stir into your sauce or stir-fry for a couple of minutes and hey presto! If it needs a little bit more moisture add a spoonful or two of water but it is tastier if it soaks up the juices from your meat/vegetables or tinned tomatoes. It is quick, cheap, tasty, easy to open, lightweight and has a long shelf life.
The rice comes in many flavours and if you shop around the pound shops etc you will easily find it at about 50p whereas the big chain supermarkets may charge three times that.
The Pilau is my favourite, turn out an attractive yellow paella type dish by adding prawns to your rice, onions and peppers. Cook it all in one pan to minimise the washing up.
No fresh food? Toss the rice into a pan with tinned veg such as sweetcorn, olives and tomatoes and either tuna, diced up tinned ham and/or even chopped up hotdog sausages. Anything goes - just use your imagination or whatever there is left lurking in your fridge or cupboard. Try topping with diced cheese or quatered boiled eggs.
Mahlzeit !
image.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I usually give Paul (haggers) burgers and sausages for him to cook for me :D(y) if not Paul then Mike (y)One of em has the bar bi thing going :)
Full cooker means I can cook what I want but now it's mostly sandwiches cold meats/cheese etc.come to think of it it's the same at home :)
terry

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Husband does all the cooking, he seems to manage all meals between the 3 pot steamer and remoska.
We eat lots of fish, salmon n smoked haddock, so usually new tatties boiling away with fish n veg steaming above and me steamin in the corner.:LOL:

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
We weigh up double portions of rices (basmati, arborio, etc) couscous, pasta and seal them in bags to take with us and pre bag herb and spice mixes ready to throw in. We also cook and freeze curries, chillies, spag bol, lasagne, fish pies these are put into freezer bags and put in van freezer. Usually have enough meals for about 14 days.
Lots of good recipies on BBC good food ie: One pan chicken couscous (needs double quantity of stock), also Sainsbury recipe website.
You can also use Philli cheese in place of making a sauce.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I prepare a piece of ham,then we have cooked ham for sarnies or reheated with eggs and when it gets down to the little bits that cant be carved,bung it in fried rice or pasta.
Wrapped in layers of greaseproof only it will keep for up to 10 days in a fridge or cool place.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Like Wildman, we have full sized cooker and full size fridge freezer, so we eat the same as we eat at home. We bought a double skillet after everyone raved over them, but we are all vegetarian and rarely use it. It's good for Tortilla's (Spanish omelettes) though, easy to turn and cook both sides
Allan
Oops, forgot the FB pies. There's only a bit of meat in them, so I am ( excluding Fray Bentos pies, ) mostly vegetarian!

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Wow, where to start. I do all the cooking at home and the food shopping. I love it, always have since my mother introduced me to the kitchen at the tender age of nine. I view the restrictions of the MH as a challenge for cooking. I use the hob burners, but try to do cooking outside to avoid smelly habitation area. My favourite device is the Cadac, but also like to BBQ. Paella, Tagine, Curry, Moules. Just bought a small pressure cooker to speed things up and reduce gas usage. Try using pour and store bags - cut skewer size pieces of Chicken or Pork, make up a marinade of Jerk spice or Cajun, mix in the chicken with a dash of lemon juice. Pop it in the pour and store and chuck it in your freezer. Because you can manipulate the bags you can get a few in your limited freezer space. De-frost, skewer and you have a simple BBQ meal alongside your salad. Cous-cous is an easy alternative to Pasta or rice as you only have to boil a kettle and pour over.

Bloody hell, you've got me started now - I could go on all afternoon!!

Keith

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh Keith . You sound too good to be true . I am no cook and our van food consists of some M&S lasagna ,Moussaka ,meatballs and my shepherds pies curries and chilies and spagbog kept in the freezer for emergencies . We sometimes throw together a sort of a Salad Nicoise using black olives tinned tuna ,anchovies and boiled eggs and vinaigrette dressing on some nice salad leaves . Omelettes are another quick fix . Hubby sometimes get the Cadac out
to cook burgers , kebabs and sausages etc . Our weakness is cheese and especially in France we sample the the local varieties when ever we can .We try to make amends by eating fruit and berries for dessert but often get tempted by the local patisseries . Ours is not fine cuisine but we have not sunk as low as Fray Bentos Pies as yet.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Can't do without Tagatelli, chopped tomatoes, and Lazy Garlic, occasionally the instant noodles to baulk up a meal, something Quick & fast no faffing about Roasting! Hours and hours! QUICK! FAST! TASTY! Easy on a two burner hob!
Life quickly turns into a bore if you are strapped to a stove when M/H ing

To cook for 4
500gms Mushrooms
500gms Tagatelli
White wine
Lazy Garlic to suit your taste
Cook Tagatelli till "al dente"
In the meantime, slice the mushies, bung in pan with Lazy Garlic (to your taste!), add white wine! , cook till wine is reduced by half! (the more wine you add the longer you wait!) so keep it in moderation!!!
Drain tag, add mushroom mix, toss ,serve with a green salad an crusty bread as a side

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Just a slight variation for you, before you add the wine cook two diced chicken breasts with the mushrooms and garlic, gently for about 15 minutes

with the lid on so it doesn't get too dry. Then add 300 ml Greek yogurt, two or three teaspoons French mustard, two finely chopped gherkins and gently heat through for a couple more minutes, check for seasoning and serve with green tagliatelle, I would drink the wine with it under the awning with friends.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can't beat a really good asparagus risotto - the trick is to do it slowly so that the rice becomes really creamy and the asparagus stands proudly (oooo-er missus..... Start again)

Decent risotto rice. Any old Aldi stuff will do. Veggie stock cube, finely chopped shallot, some garlic and seasoning to taste. Melt some butter in the pan and chuck the shallot in (preferably after you chopped it) sweat the shallot - not too much in the gym - but don't let it caramelise. Add rice and slowly cook, adding gradual amounts of stock. Open bottle of white wine and put some in the pan. Drink the rest. Prepare asparagus by breaking the lower stem. Use only the spears above a clean break or it is tough. I chop into about 1" lengths and after about 10 minutes put into the rice pan, not forgetting to keep adding stock/water a bit at a time and to stir frequently. If you have some of those tiny button mushrooms, add them as well. Don't use open ones as they turn the whole thing into a brown mess. Keep cooking slowly. Drink another bottle. Toward the end, I normally add a handful of the very tiny plum tomatoes and let them soften as they add a really good contrast. Turn out onto a dish and grate Parmesan onto it. Enjoy - if you are still sober enough by then. About 30 minutes all in.......

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Just bought a freshly made Pizza here @ Broadway CC site, doesn't get much easier than that :)
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back