LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having heard just about every horror story ever over the years regarding importing a MH from Germany I think this must be a record for me.
On Monday morning I went with the dealer to the local TUV in Munich for the German equivalent of our MOT. The 754 passed all tests including gas and electric as well as mechanical. We left Munich on Monday lunchtime for a steady drive back to Dunkirk where I had booked a ferry for the MH and the old Skoda driven by Pat.
As herself is not used to so many hours in the saddle I thought it best to take a ferry on Wednesday night, that would give plenty of stops.
Whilst herself was preparing meals on route I thought the time would be best spent preparing the MH for its UK MOT. So, everything was done by the time we got to Dunkirk and I booked it in by phone for Thursday morning in a garage that could take such a large vehicle in Stoke on the way up to Liverpool. By 9-00 this morning I had the new UK MOT in my hand with no advisories. Got home at 11-00 and the import pack was on the mat waiting to be filled in. Am having the rest of the day off before filling that in, but hopefully we should be up and running by next weekend.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Well done - but you might be being a little bit optimistic about having it up-and-running by next weekend. We're in the process of registering a new import, which we brought over on 9th Sept. The HMRC bit took over a week (online), and then you have to wait 2 days after paying the tax before sending the stuff to DVLA. As HMRC and DVLA computers aren't aligned, if your paperwork arrives at DVLA before HMRC tell them you've paid the tax, DVLA just send the lot back to you.
DVLA have now had our paperwork for just short of 2 weeks.
Like you, I'm hoping we'll be up-and-running by next weekend. :D

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well done - but you might be being a little bit optimistic about having it up-and-running by next weekend. We're in the process of registering a new import, which we brought over on 9th Sept. The HMRC bit took over a week (online), and then you have to wait 2 days after paying the tax before sending the stuff to DVLA. As HMRC and DVLA computers aren't aligned, if your paperwork arrives at DVLA before HMRC tell them you've paid the tax, DVLA just send the lot back to you.
DVLA have now had our paperwork for just short of 2 weeks.
Like you, I'm hoping we'll be up-and-running by next weekend. :D

There is no tax to pay. I only require the letter to verify that for the DVLA. The last MH I brought in was done and dusted in 8 days. Am hoping to break my record with this one. Before they shut down the local office in Manchester I could have the UK plates in my hand within 24 hours of tyres touching UK soil, but things have changed as we all know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
There is no tax to pay. I only require the letter to verify that for the DVLA. The last MH I brought in was done and dusted in 8 days. Am hoping to break my record with this one. Before they shut down the local office in Manchester I could have the UK plates in my hand within 24 hours of tyres touching UK soil, but things have changed as we all know.
Yeah! I found DVLA very helpful, worth phoning for those who haven't done it before, found I didn't have to fill in half the boxes on the form and they advised me by email of my new reg number so I could get the plates. Bit more than 8 days in total but not much.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
DVLA take around 3-4 weeks to process a registration, slightest thing wrong they will reject it, even though they ask for contact details they don't bother contacting you.

Total shambles since the local offices closed, first van we did via local office took 5 days last two vans from import one took 6 weeks, last one this year 5 weeks.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Can you not physically go to DVLA at Swansea and visit a person at a desk to hand over the paperwork? Surely they could check everything and ensure all is correct, and almost do it wile you wait? Then collect new V5 in person a day or two later?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can you not physically go to DVLA at Swansea and visit a person at a desk to hand over the paperwork? Surely they could check everything and ensure all is correct, and almost do it wile you wait? Then collect new V5 in person a day or two later?
Nope, they will only deal via post.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I did ask this question when I imported the last RMB. They said no, as they will only deal with you by post. It used to be so simple years ago before they closed down the local offices. A day out in Manchester early in the morning and all was done in time for lunch. Why on earth they put the only DVLA office in the country in deepest Wales is beyond belief but I suppose they have to find something for the provincials to do :).

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just an update. The HMRC was done online yesterday with a reply in minutes which I printed off ready for DVLC stating no VAT due. UK insurance was arranged this morning and once the cover note arrives, hopefully on Monday the import pack can be sent on to DVLA. Unfortunately the weekend got in the way of a 7 day registration, but hay ho. Had a slight domestic this morning when the next door neighbour offered me profit on the Hymer, but herself dragged me away kicking and screaming before I could shake hands on the deal :rolleyes:.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Nope, they will only deal via post.
You can take the paper work to the reception area at the DVLA in Swansea where they will check it and then put it in the system, they will not process it there and then. We did this when our original application had been rejected for no apparent reason, it is not far from where we live, but not a lot to be gained other than preventing it being rejected because of a missing document.
Cheers
Ed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You can take the paper work to the reception area at the DVLA in Swansea where they will check it and then put it in the system, they will not process it there and then. We did this when our original application had been rejected for no apparent reason, it is not far from where we live, but not a lot to be gained other than preventing it being rejected because of a missing document.
Cheers
Ed
I enqired about that and they told me I couldn't but we know what DVLA are like depends who you speak to none of them work from the same book of rules.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I finally got round to sending the paperwork off to DVLA on 26 October. The new logbook came through my letterbox yesterday afternoon and off I went to get the plates made up last night.
So, had I not been tied up with more pressing work I could in theory have had the van registered and on the road within one week of touching UK tarmac. Am just hoping my passport will arrive back from DVLA soon, as it did not come with the new logbook. Its still an easy task importing from the EU.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Couple of extra questions Dave @Snowbird

Did the dealer sort your export plates, if so, for what duration and how much?
Who did your UK insurance on the vin number ?

Maybe when you get time, you could do a bullet point guide on all the steps you had to go through and the relevant costs???

I will be doing this process for the first time at some point sooner or later!
Cheers
BD.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good idea but not workable even if it was possible.
Speak to anyone at DVLA and you get an answer to your question.
Ring again and ask, you are guaranteed a different answer.
So, one person's idea of correct isn't necessarily the next person's.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Having heard just about every horror story ever over the years regarding importing a MH from Germany I think this must be a record for me.
On Monday morning I went with the dealer to the local TUV in Munich for the German equivalent of our MOT. The 754 passed all tests including gas and electric as well as mechanical. We left Munich on Monday lunchtime for a steady drive back to Dunkirk where I had booked a ferry for the MH and the old Skoda driven by Pat.
As herself is not used to so many hours in the saddle I thought it best to take a ferry on Wednesday night, that would give plenty of stops.
Whilst herself was preparing meals on route I thought the time would be best spent preparing the MH for its UK MOT. So, everything was done by the time we got to Dunkirk and I booked it in by phone for Thursday morning in a garage that could take such a large vehicle in Stoke on the way up to Liverpool. By 9-00 this morning I had the new UK MOT in my hand with no advisories. Got home at 11-00 and the import pack was on the mat waiting to be filled in. Am having the rest of the day off before filling that in, but hopefully we should be up and running by next weekend.

WOW!!

And to think mine was even easier - no travelling - no paperwork - no changing headlights - no changing speedo - no changing anything actually - all done by the German manufacturer and picked it up at dealers 25 miles from home!

Oh - and cost- well it was in 2016 when one or two dealers in U.K.were offering very good discounts! Think it cost me £1500 more than going through the mill importing it personally:)

I might well have a different view right now if pricing a new vehicle with euro rate and the B..x...t thing!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The biggest issue for me is the need to return to the uk, I just dont want to, especially at this time of the year. The thought of having to sit around for several weeks waiting on DVLA is enough to put me off doing it right now. For that reason alone I may just have to wait until next spring or summer, unless a blinding deal comes my way! Even then, I want an August mot date so we can stay in Europe which would mean having to return a second time just to get an mot, not a major issue but a pita.

Maybe I'll ask the question of a German dealer if it would be possible to get a German registration for 6-8 months and maybe register at their premises? I know export plates can be valid for up to a year, but only on third party insurance, and anything else is silly money.

It's a shame that what I want isn't available in the uk market otherwise I'd just pop back and buy it and be off again!

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@BreweryDave
It's a shame that what I want isn't available in the uk market otherwise I'd just pop back and buy it and be off again![/QUOTE]

Hi Dave - good to meet you guys the other day! Have you thought of ringing Southdowns in Portsmouth - they deal a lot in LHD and very often have part exchanges in there (LHD) and prepared to haggle on those!

@Beacons got a really good deal on a LHD Carthago - just what your looking for!

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@BreweryDave
It's a shame that what I want isn't available in the uk market otherwise I'd just pop back and buy it and be off again!

Hi Dave - good to meet you guys the other day! Have you thought of ringing Southdowns in Portsmouth - they deal a lot in LHD and very often have part exchanges in there (LHD) and prepared to haggle on those![/QUOTE]
Trust me, there is hardly a uk dealers website I dont check every couple of days !!!

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Maybe when you get time, you could do a bullet point guide on all the steps you had to go through and the relevant costs???

Cheers
BD.

When a vehicle is signed off in Germany there is no plates on the vehicle unlike in the UK where the plates stay with the vehicle. The seller normally goes with the buyer to the local taxation office and the changeover is done there. In my case its a simple exercise of going with the seller and purchasing export plates along with one months transit insurance from the same building. You can get one weeks transit plates but I always get one month as it makes life easier at my end if I ever got an MOT fail. The price depends on the size of motorhome and as far as I remember it was less than 200 emus. Am insured with AIB and they were happy tro insure on the vin.

Cheers
BD.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp