Easy come easy go.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Damned annoyed. When we part exchanged our van on 11th October 2014 we were asked to leave the tax disk on that was due to expire at the end of February 2015 so 4 months claw back. They would then apply for any refund due to us. This we agreed but as no refund had been received by the end of November I contacted them and they said that there was a hold up and we would be refunded shortly. Today I received a cheque refund from HM tax office for £36.66 that equates to 2 months refund. So instead of 4 months refund we got 2 because they just could not give a toss.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This could be another DVSA cockup and wasnt the dealers fault as such.

As of 1st Oct any refund will AUTOMATICALLY go to the registered keeper.......ONCE THE NEW KEEPER DETAILS ARE RECEIVED.....ie: the V5

If the van had stood unsold on their forcourt until March there would be no refund due.

So.....anyone selling or trading in to a dealer should insist on the 'sold to a dealer' part of the logbook (V5) being filled in....thats what its there for.... and then send the completed V5 to DVSA.
filling in that part ensures the dealer does not go on record as an owner and the counter slip is the only part of the V5 needed to sell on the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yes sol mine oct 1st runs out end of jan 2015 havent heard thing, had to put years tax on the one I part exchaged for though another rip off regards

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Ok, so maybe another life's lesson learned when we take for granted the word of a salesman who is dependant on the action of others! When I was working this little episode would have lost me a full day's pay

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="pappajohn, post: 1221793, member: 172"

So.....anyone selling or trading in to a dealer should insist on the 'sold to a dealer' part of the logbook (V5) being filled in....thats what its there for.... and then send the completed V5 to DVSA.
filling in that part ensures the dealer does not go on record as an owner and the counter slip is the only part of the V5 needed to sell on the van.[/QUOTE]

no need to do any of that as it is illegal now since the 'continuous vehicle insurance ' came in to force in 2012 to sell a vehicle with tax. If selling privately you must return tax disc (if there is one) & sorn or new buyer has to tax immediately . If you change insurance to new vehicle before selling then the vehicle has to be sorned/tax reclaimed. The same would apply with part -ex.
Reasoning is that when selling/part exing you have no way of being 100% certain that the person has insurance & if they are involved in accident/stopped & found to have no insurance you would be classed as an accessory

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[QUOTE="pappajohn, post: 1221793, member: 172"

filling in that part ensures the dealer does not go on record as an owner and the counter slip is the only part of the V5 needed to sell on the van.

no need to do any of that as it is illegal now since the 'continuous vehicle insurance ' came in to force in 2012 to sell a vehicle with tax. If selling privately you must return tax disc (if there is one) & sorn or new buyer has to tax immediately . If you change insurance to new vehicle before selling then the vehicle has to be sorned/tax reclaimed. The same would apply with part -ex.
Reasoning is that when selling/part exing you have no way of being 100% certain that the person has insurance & if they are involved in accident/stopped & found to have no insurance you would be classed as an accessory

You are mixing dates.......

Up to 1st oct this year it was perfectly legal to sell a vehicle with tax providing insurance was in place with the seller, nothing to do with the buyer being insured or not.................continuous insurance just meant if the insurance was not current the vehicle MUST be kept off road and SORN declared.

Dealers are exempt from cont insurance and the road tax remained in place and was transfered to the new owner.

since 1st oct 2014 it is impossible to transfer road tax when a vehicle is sold.
As of 1st oct 2014 when a vehicle is sold....ie, new owner is registered with DVSA as the new keeper, a refund of unused months is AUTOMATICALLY refunded to the previous owner.

If the logbook isnt filled in with new keepers details and returned DVSA do not know if the vehicle has changed hands so no refund can be made.

The dealer wont send in the V5 until sold so no refund for those months on the forcourt unless the 'sold to dealer' slip on the V5 is Returned to DVSA.

As i said........THATS WHAT ITS THERE FOR !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You are mixing dates.......

Up to 1st oct this year it was perfectly legal to sell a vehicle with tax providing insurance was in place with the seller, nothing to do with the buyer being insured or not.................continuous insurance just meant if the insurance was not current the vehicle MUST be kept off road and SORN declared.

Dealers are exempt from cont insurance and the road tax remained in place and was transfered to the new owner.

since 1st oct 2014 it is impossible to transfer road tax when a vehicle is sold.
As of 1st oct 2014 when a vehicle is sold....ie, new owner is registered with DVSA as the new keeper, a refund of unused months is AUTOMATICALLY refunded to the previous owner.

If the logbook isnt filled in with new keepers details and returned DVSA do not know if the vehicle has changed hands so no refund can be made.

The dealer wont send in the V5 until sold so no refund for those months on the forcourt unless the 'sold to dealer' slip on the V5 is Returned to DVSA.

As i said........THATS WHAT ITS THERE FOR !
You are quite correct with all that but if the insurance is removed from one vehicle to another before the original is sold ,you have to notify sorn & reclaim tax & then sell it. You cannot change insurance off of one & then sell it is illegal.
You've got to hope that the 'continuous insurance' in the UK doesn't go the same way as here in Spain where the insurance companies got the gov. to agree that to be continuous , renewal had to be automatic. For you to cancel you have to give 2 months clear notice before renewal & supply details normally of which company you are going to.
Additionally you can't cancel just after taking it out & go elsewhere as you cannot have 2 policies running on the same vehicle, so they say but the law actually says different. Just try getting them to agree to it.xroll:

At least tax is easier . Whoever owns it on January 1st is liable to pay. Refunds are nigh on impossible & no one bothers unless vehicle is a write off.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks all for your advice. The van I part exchanged is still unsold and at the same time the partial refund was received dated 9/12/14 I also received from DVLA the acknowledgement dated 8/12/14 confirming that I was no longer the registered keeper. The V5 slip and the tax disk have just been sitting in a draw somewhere until my web message to the dealer dated 30/11/14. I had made several phone calls the week before and left recorded messages prior to this with no response.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the point already made and one I am guilty of missing / forgetting

When a vehicle is sold to a dealer it is the job of the seller (registered keeper) to send off the yellow slip, not the dealer

Lesson learnt by me some time back, I think it is actually a legal duty to notify the sale to DVLA or whatever they are now called

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back