Eastern side of France advice (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
We are currently in Lyon (Camping International) after 4 weeks in Germany & Italy and will be heading slowly home up the eastern side of France to Calais roughly via Dijon, Troyes, Reims etc
Its not an area we usually travel through and we are looking for any recommendations for Campsites & Aires en-route. Many thanks

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Worth a slight detour to the Verdun area, scene of bitter fighting in WW1. Some impressive forts and other war remains to be seen, as well as being a pretty part of the country. There is a campsite in Verdun at the side of a small lake.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Aire at la Balme de Sillingy not far from Annecy
Several Aires around Giffaumont Champaubert
Mesnil at pere Aire
Mareuil sur at Aire
Catillon Sur Sambre Aire
Watten Aire
All by water , canals or lakes
Can recommend
Terry

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Good site in Troyes!with bus stop into town which is worth going to.Historic town centre with several churchs.etc stayed there twice.Be careful with Sat nav though.We used ours last time and it took us through the Old Townā˜¹ļø.RememberTroyes because I needed a haircut and found a hairdresser near Cathedral 9 euros!! When I came out my wife asked if I had told him I was joining the foreign legion.Still it grew backšŸ˜Š

Polobonnie100

Free Member
Feb 15, 2016
Harefield UB9
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Anywhere in the Alsace region is stunning. Borders of Germany. Colmar is a wonderful historic town, Obernai is also historic and smaller with a campsite, Camping Obernai walking distance away, and a 50m outdoor swimming pool the other side, wonderful!

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Just a thought. I notice you have been in Germany before France. Wouldn't the other way round have been better? If you travel back to the UK having stayed in France, you will be subject to quarantine. Is it too late for you to cross back into Germany for long enough to then make a no stop run back to the Channel crossing and dodge the bullet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks everyone for some useful advice.
Happy to self isolate once we get back after transiting through France. Germany was wonderful, but oh so crowded ! Italy wasn't to bad and France is nice and relatively quiet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like following rivers. If you head for St Maurice sur Mosselle you could follow the Mosselle down to say to Metz then have a look at Verdun as suggested. From there you could follow the Meuse down river a bit. Afterwards have a look at the Maginot Line which you will find along the border with Belgium.

We explored this area last year. If you scroll up from where the Thread should open you will find Verdun. The Meuse is above that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back