Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi all just looking for any helpful ideas for our 6 week trip mid July till end of August please.

Is it better to book ferry now or better deal at the port, C.C. £99 seems steep 6m + 2 dogs extra ? Any good deals you know of with flexi return dates ?

Any good Aries between Calais and Paris to rest after long drive from Swansea.

Disney - any cheap deals you know of for July ? We are stopping there for 2 days and planning to use the Aries there is that the best option ?.

Is it worth using the toll roads as we hope to get to the south coast eventually ? typical price for say Calais to Paris to get an idea of cost is ?

Rough route we plan taking is from Paris south to Burgundy, Rhone Alps, the Med. Then back up Alps, Eastern France, Champagne on to northern France to see Dunkirk and the WW11 sites etc.. Then back to the Ferry.

A camp site or 2 and mostly Aries with maybe a bit of wilding will be our stops hopefully we will get as far down as Carsacconne Any sites, Aries places not to miss or any advice you think would be useful would be greatly appreciated as it was for our trip last year to the west side

Many thanks Jack .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Chamonix.
Aiguile du Midi.
Chamonix.
Aiguile du Midi.
Chamonix.
Aiguile du Midi.
Chamonix.
Aiguile du Midi.

Get the picture.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
£99 is not abad price but if you are in the CC you can get it cheaper through them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Helpful ideas? Consider air con - it's 37.5°C here. L'isle-sur-la-sorgue :Cool:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Off down the same sort of area at same sort of time. July 15th for 28 days. Personal choice but from what I can tell with the shed load of research i ve done is 28 days isnt enough just for Provence so would save Carcasonne for next year. Numerous gorges and lakes "Beautiful villages of France" to see just past Grenoble. Not going to the Med just staying inland about 20 miles. Cannes has the international fireworks festival in august. should be able to see it from the mountains. Not touching any tolls but stopping off in the Juras for a couple of days. Looks like a trek past Grenoble without the tolls though. Taking Belgium Luxembourg back to Besanson for the tope end. Note the tour de france and enjoy Bastille day if you get to go a day earlier than me

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Broken Link Removed

Camp site at Carcasonne. Lovely site and you can walk into the medieval city but I would ring ahead to see if there's space if you're going July/August.

H :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Broken Link Removed

Camp site at Carcasonne. Lovely site and you can walk into the medieval city but I would ring ahead to see if there's space if you're going July/August.

H :thumb:

We turned up there in August about 2 years ago.

They only had one pitch available. Reception said that if you are turning up on spec, do so in the morning because it will be full by 2 PM.

Warning though about the actual town in July and August.

It is absolutely heaving. Its pretty much one queue to go in, which becomes a queue to get out. Not very pleasant.

June and September are the best time to visit in my experience.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
mappy.com will give you distances, time, approximation of fuel used and toll charges. You can change vehicle/type of fuel to get results,

I only did the drive across part of Provence once, in summer, and it took longer on toll roads than if we'd used R.Ns. Only time I've ever queued for toll booths.

Carcassonne is best in May/June or Autumn.

Eastern France looks lovely, lots of stunning scenery. I'd stay rural in high summer if I were you. I had intended to return to UK via Ardeche and along eastern border area of France but cat needed op so plans went out of window.

Enjoy your trip.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If you have not done this before don't underestimate how vast a country France is. It's much bigger than you think!

Wyn

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks for all the great info so far :thumb:

We only have about 6 weeks so we may not get to Carsacconne as you say it may be best left till out of high season, We planned on getting to the far south on the west side last year but only got as far as La Rochelle and the Il de re because of all the great places on route ate up the time.
So this year we will just get as far down as our wandering allows, nothings set in stone and like last time we wont spend more time on the road than needed 3-4hours drive a day max . Just a rough plan to follow will be enough for us but dont want to pass the best places by so thanks for the tips so far and please keep them coming.
Thanks again Jack.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Any good camp sites, Aries and places not to miss in Burgundy ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back