easter ski trip? (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
hi we have about 9 days off the second week of the Easter holidays so maybe thought we could head to the Alps!

Problem is I can sort of ski but hubby and 6 year old can't. I kind of hope that it's possible to do a try it holiday ie a few lessons in ski school and then maybe just sight seeing.

I am after recommendations of where to go....

Preferably I would like to park the van up in an sure or campsite and be able to walk to ski school. I'm not too bothered initially about ski passes if ski school don't need you to have them as my son probably won't get to need one.

We are happy for an aire but would probably move to a campsite after a while for a change of scenery/ pool etc would be nice!

Is this possible????

Deleted User
Yes it's certainly possible (lots of MH'rs ski)

We have been going for 10 years now, and mainly stay on Aires etc.

When we first started we went to Le Grand Bornand and stayed here

http://www.campinglescale.com/?lang=en

Nice little resort and decent campsite (with small indoor section to a swimming pool)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We go to Les Deux Alpes in Venosc. The campsite is below the resort which is accessible by the tele cabin. It is a glacier resort so perfectly skiable at Easter. There is no pool at the campsite sadly but they have a sauna. There is an aire in LDA itself but it is fairly bleak in my opinion and we prefer the facilities at the campsite Champs Du Moulin. We are just about to book again for next year. There is no ground snow as the campsite is at 900m so no driving problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Michelle I have looked at that one and it my be a good option. Is the lift near the campsite open early enough to get to the ski school?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yep, it runs from 7.45 am but it stops at 7 in the evening so you have to,be back down by then. We often ate at lunchtime in the resort or early evening. The campsite has a restaurant that the owners open up if you book a table. We had two lovely meals there.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Plus one for champ du moulin campsite
What impressed me most was how peaceful it was of an evening - far removed from the usual hubbub of ski resorts.
Really converted me to MH ski trips.
This year went to Austria - St lofer camp grubhof. Quite the best site on which I have ever stayed.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for your replies we are seriously looking at champs du moulin. How bad is the walk from the telecabine?/lift from Venosc to the main ski lifts. To me the resort of les deux alps looks spread out. Is it hard to get around in ski boots bearing in mind we will have a 6 year old in tow!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For kids that don't like walking, the Aires at Val Thorens, Les Menuires and La Plagne offer ski in/ski out convenience. The aire at Val Thorens is especially close to the learners area and ski school rendezvous points with 4 free lifts in the vicinity.

The altitude of the above will also better your chances of good snow in Easter too.

The downside is no hookup, a factor if your van isn't equipped for serious off grid action.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If I was a first timer again, I think I would go with Le Grand Bornand just because of it's great facilities. However if you want a better resort then Livigno for me. We are off in January for a couple of weeks and after 10 years of having to take the kids and bow to school pressure, we won't book until we see the forecast, could be Italy, Austria, Switzerland or even the Alps again. Snowblades for me though, oh just to add, Pralognan is really nice but you would have to check for snow

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our van probably isn't the best hence why I thought for our first time it might be best to go with hookup and facilities although we do have 2 x 11kg gas bottles and 90w solar panel , 2 x batteries so we may be able to last on an aire a good few days. I have also been told that with it being Easter holidays ski school could get booked up and we will definitely need this for Charlie. We may go without. I have been to La Plagne before and really liked that layout of lifts etc although didn't think there were that many greens but maybe my friends just dragged me on Blues instead. My husband will only be skiing very basically so the idea of this one is more of a give it ago. I am slightly worried about driving on those roads higher up, although they were very clear when I went many moons ago and that was feb!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I have looked at Le Grand Bornard but the times of ski school looked a lot shorter, can anyone recommend a good ski school there for a 6 year old? I do like the look of the campsite there!!

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for your replies we are seriously looking at champs du moulin. How bad is the walk from the telecabine?/lift from Venosc to the main ski lifts. To me the resort of les deux alps looks spread out. Is it hard to get around in ski boots bearing in mind we will have a 6 year old in tow!
5 minute walk up slope to lift
5 minute pleasant cabin ride
5 minute walk through deux Alpes to main lift station

Walking in ski boots can be tricky. But as I remember, the camp site has a deal with a ski hire shop whereby you can leave your skis and boots in a heated locker, just a few minutes from main lift.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 minute walk up slope to lift
5 minute pleasant cabin ride
5 minute walk through deux Alpes to main lift station

Walking in ski boots can be tricky. But as I remember, the camp site has a deal with a ski hire shop whereby you can leave your skis and boots in a heated locker, just a few minutes from main lift.

We hired from Skiset, also very close to the main lifts. The walk to the tele cabin is really quite short...can be a tad warm at Easter. The first year we actually got sunburnt down in the campsite.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
That sounds doable! I presumed the shop the campsite link you to was actually before les demux apes in Venosc. Hiring with a locker by the main lifts seem a better idea. Thanks

Almost all sorted now just need to sort out the dreaded snow chains, especially as we are a rwd transit!!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And I have just booked. It was a toss up between the tunnel at £196 and £100 fuel with a 3 hour drive each way or ferry £378 and about half a mile drive. The ferry won, countdown started.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
When are you in Champ du Moulin?
I expect/hope to be there late late March - just post Easter.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We will drive down over a couple of days, using aires and probably arrive around Saturday 26/Sunday 27th March. We haven't booked Champs yet but it hasn't ever been full so will leave a bit longer . Jonandshell were there last year too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back