East side of France - Champagne/Burgundy? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re hoping to cross over on the Eurotunnel on morning of Sunday 10th and the long range weather looks promising.
I have recollections of passing names such as Chalon-sur-Saône, Beaune, Dijon and Macon on thé A26 but have never visited.
Looking for any recommendations of pretty towns/villages to visit, aires/campsites (prefer by water), any pleasant flattish cycle routes …
I think we’d then head down into Provence if the weather stays warm and dry.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were a little further east a few weeks ago. If you've never been Alsace is great although maybe a little north of your route . You could head for the Haut Jura although it could be getting a bit cooler now or Stop off in Chablis then Burgundy for wine tasting. We find the tourist office often have lists of vineyards that welcome motorhomes often free some with electricity and without having to join France passion.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Beaune was our first aire it's just a car park but it was an eye opener that you can park in the middle of a town. The mustard factory visit is good
The aire is very basic, as Wino says it's just a car park, but it is extremely well located. Walk to the Hospices, walk to restaurants and wine tastings, then back to your MH. The aire is not too expensive but some of the wine most certainly is pricey!!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Beaune is a lovely town and worth a visit, been a few years since we’ve been so Aire might be different but back then it was next to lake and big swimming pool and about 5 mins from town

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
For anyone thinking of stopping at Beaune

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Another vote for Beaune, i've stayed there a couple of times on my way to and from my sisters place in the alps. If you like steak i can recommend picu' bouef, all produce is local and steaks are cooked on a rack in front of a wood fire they do other kinds of food as well not just steaks. Its run by a Father and his son.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If youre popping down that way then just beyond Lyons is the 90 kms of disused railway line and have done 2 of the 4 sections and need to return

Down in Provence/Ardeche these 2 were a couple of corkers
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ay-line-2017-carpentras-to-jonquieres.248692/ (We also found the Carpentras canal which is cyclable and used "Windymaps" app but make sure you choose the dotted lines as some of the red lines arent quite cycle paths

NB if you have a BOSCH ebike the Vaucluse has about 100 places you can charge your bike up for free (and I think they have expanded it to other areas as just found same system in Holland and Belgium)

One I have up my sleeve is a cycle route in teh heights of Vercors which is supposed to be an old railway line. Havent seen it but heres a link https://www.euronews.com/travel/202...rs-balcony-roads-make-a-stunning-cycling-dest but this may need checking out in case there are hills. Roads are fine to take motorhomes up (most of them) and then cycle the dangerous roads.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We spent 16 years with a home in South Burgundy.

The area around Chalons-sur-Saone is very attractive. Villages such as Buxy, St. Gengoux-le-National, Cormatin, Cluny, and many more are close together. Other pretty villages are too many to list. There are also many Chateaux in the area.

There are many wine producers with Caves to visit as well as many Co-operatives selling cheap, but good wines, as well as top producers products.

OK, I am biased, only selling our base in Burgundy as the 90/180 day rule rendered it uneconomic.

If you decide to visit feel free to PM me for info.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

The area around Chalons-sur-Saone is very attractive. Villages such as Buxy, St. Gengoux-le-National, Cormatin, Cluny, and many more are close together. Other pretty villages are too many to list. There are also many Chateaux in the area.

There are many wine producers with Caves to visit as well as many Co-operatives selling cheap, but good wines, as well as top producers products.

OK, I am biased, only selling our base in Burgundy as the 90/180 day rule rendered it uneconomic.

We often drive through that region on the way to my SIL in the Bugey. It would be nice know a few producers in that area or caves cooperative to visit.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We often drive through that region on the way to my SIL in the Bugey. It would be nice know a few producers in that area or caves cooperative to visit.
Between Beaune and Cluny there are many independent wine producers with outlets attached in the various wine villages, Mercurey, Rully, Mersault, Puligny-Montrachet and Givry.

Close to our home, the village of Montagny, near Buxy, produces very good white wines. I would recommend Chateau de Saule for a visit. They produce a very good Chardonnay and are not all commercial. If you want a “degustation” you are likely to be taken to the bottling area where you can sample the vintage. They do not have a “shop”.

Cheaper, local wines can be tasted at many co-operatives, including Buxy, St. Gengoux-le-National and Bissey-sous-Cruchaud among many others.

Don’t dismiss the cheaper white wine made from the Aligoté grape. Some are very good, though not all.

Exploring and sampling is the fun.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

Thank you 🙏 it sounds lovely - I will do that if thé weather stays good for thé east!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Try the aire at Gurgy on the way down. Lovely aire right on the canal and only a short cycle ride into Auxerre which is well worth a visit. We where there about a month ago and from memory 10 euros a night with EHU, the shop in the village is well stocked.
James (marpool)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Cluny has an aire on the edge of town. Overpriced at10 euros with electric hook up when street lights are on. But free parking in street next to aire Lovely town with cycle path.
An overlooked area is the morvan area and in particular lake Settons, very attractive with an aire and several campsites. Also flattish cycle ride around lake. Well worth a few days but stock up as there isn't a supermarket nearby.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Between Beaune and Cluny there are many independent wine producers with outlets attached in the various wine villages, Mercurey, Rully, Mersault, Puligny-Montrachet and Givry.

Close to our home, the village of Montagny, near Buxy, produces very good white wines. I would recommend Chateau de Saule for a visit. They produce a very good Chardonnay and are not all commercial. If you want a “degustation” you are likely to be taken to the bottling area where you can sample the vintage. They do not have a “shop”.

Cheaper, local wines can be tasted at many co-operatives, including Buxy, St. Gengoux-le-National and Bissey-sous-Cruchaud among many others.
We love visiting this area , it’s great also for cycling both on the voie verte and the small roads between the villages.

We once had a glass of Montagny premier cru at a tiny little street bar on our way back to the van from a cycle ride.

We will give the chateau a visit on our next trip (y)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I've just read travel to Luxembourg is ok now.
What is the latest?
Was that December 2020?
Hope you are right, where are you reading that ? as this states until December 31st earliest 2021

UK nationals are not permitted entry to Luxembourg for non-essential purposes due to EU-wide COVID-19 restrictions on non-EU and EEA nationals. Essential travel is still permitted and a list of exemptions for entering Luxembourg can be found on the Luxembourg government website (under ‘I am a third country national. Am I allowed to visit the Grand Duchy, and what conditions apply to travelling to the Grand Duchy?’).

This says you cant travel as a 3rd country but then it also says only applies to arriving by Air so that's totally clear then...

<Broken link removed>

Then this one says something different again

Third-country nationals residing in a country that is not on the above-mentioned list are not allowed to enter the Grand Duchy, except:

• If travel is considered essential
Or

• From 22 September 2021, if third-country nationals hold a certificate proving a complete vaccination pattern that is considered equivalent in Luxembourg, i.e. if it is issued by a Member State of the Schengen area or if it is issued by a third country and considered equivalent by an implementing act of the European Commission. This currently applies to certificates issued by the following countries or territories: Albania, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Israel, Morocco, Monaco, Panama, Republic of North Macedonia, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican.

Upshot give it a go stopping for fuel because nobody in Luxembourg has a clue about which rules they actually have anyway ;-)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If visiting Beaune area and you like Abarth cars, Château, Fine wines, Motor cycles, Military Aircraft & Helicopters here is a must see. You can also overnight in the Château's car park for free (no services).
We love Beaune and if within reasonable distance will always divert. The campsite is fairly central and has good facilities. We also discovered the Chateau and stayed overnight in the car park (alone!) and were locked in overnight. It was great especially the planes.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Try the aire at Gurgy on the way down. Lovely aire right on the canal and only a short cycle ride into Auxerre which is well worth a visit. We where there about a month ago and from memory 10 euros a night with EHU, the shop in the village is well stocked.
James (marpool)
Excellent thanks - think we could do with one stop before Beaune … any other ideas for first night stop over that don’t take us via Paris - or do you go an alternative route James? Thanks Liz

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
3C5576E8-00F8-4DB9-9081-F7B08E0658DA.jpeg
We often have a night or so on the Aire in Dole. Last time there was a balloon festival as we arrived. Lovely old city and Louis Pasteur lived there.

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
We usually take an early evening train and drive straight to Sangatte, though not everybody's cup of tea we find it alright for one night, it does get quite busy at times, but if the aire is full you can usually squeeze in the car park in front of the cemetery. We then shoot over to cite europe to fill up with fuel and then decide which way to go depending on the weather. For the weather I use an app called Ventusky. Hope this is of some use, enjoy your trip, we have just got back from a month away in France and have enjoyed every second in a country that is totally motorhome friendly.
James (marpool)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
View attachment 544116 We often have a night or so on the Aire in Dole. Last time there was a balloon festival as we arrived. Lovely old city and Louis Pasteur lived there.
Dole is always a lovely walk around and quite possible to "waste" a whole day nearby at the cascades du herrison https://www.jura-tourism.com/vivre-le-jura/visiter/les-incontournables/cascades-du-herisson/ a series of 11 waterfalls, park at the north end by the fromagerie as it is free there

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
This was a nice little stop over a couple of weeks ago. Might be a good one on your way down if you like a glass (or 2) of champagne. They have a little campsite in the orchard at the back of the shop, around 12eu ( I think, but paid with the wine bill so didn't take too much notice) with electric and if you buy a bottle they lend you glasses and a cold ice bucket 👍
Champagne Nowack
+33 3 26 58 02 69

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back