Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
I've got an Auto Sleepers Burford Duo which is based on a Mercedes Sprinter and is almost 1 year old and done about 5k miles. This morning the dashboard displayed "Service A due in 2 weeks". Everything I've read and talking to the dealer, suggests that this shouldn't happen until the vehicle is 2 years old or done more than 20k miles.

Is this a glitch and has anyone else seen this?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just a guess but when did the base leave Mercedes. The service setting clock could have been started before it ever reached AS. Seen it discussed on Hymer forums.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Give it an oil change anyway, won't do any harm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When I had my new works van a sprinter I think it went about three years before service light came on it was a low annual mileage.but always good to have oil changed as WillH suggested (y)

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
When I had my new works van a sprinter I think it went about three years before service light came on it was a low annual mileage.but always good to have oil changed as WillH suggested (y)

Quite right @Speeve.
Our last Sprinter motorhome tended to do low mileages & the service light does indeed activate if the mileage is low but, our ambulances tended to light up at 2yrs or a certain mileage.

Robert

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
As it's new I will give it to Merc to look at so they can charge me lots of money. Next time I'll change the oil myself and use the trick offered by @milliethehymer.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My 2015 Sprinter came up at 1 year and 3 years, which is exactly what the Mecedes dealer said should happen. Some dealers can’t seem to get their heads around the idea that Mercedes and Fiats have different service periods. If you want Mercedes to honour the warranty you will need to get it done by them at year 1.

Upvote 0

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
On most diesels nowadays it goes on the driving style, the ecu monitors it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
My 2015 Sprinter came up at 1 year and 3 years, which is exactly what the Mecedes dealer said should happen. Some dealers can’t seem to get their heads around the idea that Mercedes and Fiats have different service periods. If you want Mercedes to honour the warranty you will need to get it done by them at year 1.
Interesting that you say that. When I spoke to the dealer they were convinced it was years 2, 4 etc. then went on to say it was standard for Peugeot. Useless.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On most diesels nowadays it goes on the driving style, the ecu monitors it

I was told the services are based on mileage or time, Mercedes expect to service it at 1 year or earlier with a high mileage. They do not seem to have a service book to stamp, it is logged on their central data base. Perhaps it is different for cars but I guess most vans (not motorhomes) are expected to be used a little harder.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The ecu checks things like DPF regeneration and oil quality for the service due light
I have no doubt the ecu monitors all these things but according to my Mercedes Commercial dealer the light will come on at one and three years if not set off earlier by mileage. Has anyone been given different information by a Mercedes Commercial dealer?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Interesting that you say that. When I spoke to the dealer they were convinced it was years 2, 4 etc. then went on to say it was standard for Peugeot. Useless.
You would expect most dealers to be able to tell the difference between a Mercedes and a Peugeot. As you say, useless.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have no doubt the ecu monitors all these things but according to my Mercedes Commercial dealer the light will come on at one and three years if not set off earlier by mileage. Has anyone been given different information by a Mercedes Commercial dealer?

Its not the mileage that sets it off, its the ECU thinking that there is some reason the oil needs changing like lots of slow driving and DPF regenerations etc

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Its not the mileage that sets it off, its the ECU thinking that there is some reason the oil needs changing like lots of slow driving and DPF regenerations etc
Not what I was told by Mercedes, what is your source of information. If there was a DPF problem I would expect an engine warning light not the service one.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not what I was told by Mercedes, what is your source of information. If there was a DPF problem I would expect an engine warning light not the service one.
I was told by a mechanic, you may not have a DPF fault but it may have had to regenerate. Unlikely if you have not used it for lots of short trips. It could also be the ECU has cocked up when working it out. All modern diesel engines need the ecu to calculate the service interval as the oil could become diluted by diesel during regenerations. Has your oil level risen slightly?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I was told by a mechanic, you may not have a DPF fault but it may have had to regenerate. Unlikely if you have not used it for lots of short trips. It could also be the ECU has cocked up when working it out. All modern diesel engines need the ecu to calculate the service interval as the oil could become diluted by diesel during regenerations. Has your oil level risen slightly?
I am sorry that Mercedes forgot to consult your mechanic when they designed the Sprinter but here is what my service indicator currently shows. If the mileage has not been reached when it gets to about a month before 1 year 3 years etc it changes over to a day count and says service due in x days.
upload_2019-1-11_21-47-27.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back