LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The BIG nightmare, need battery for an electric bike. Cost, over half the cost of the bike or in my case as much as the bike because I got a bargain off ebay. With an old bike is it worth a battery or do you buy a new bike ?

To improve my capacity I was looking at £400 for a lithium from China and that's a lot of cash to a distant land.

Or.

£60 to the UK. £60 bought me a pair of 20Ah 12V lead acid mobility batteries. Same capacity as £400 of lithium. Double the capacity of the original NiMH battery. LA will charger straight off the leisure battery or with a standard charger when on hook up. So here is my solution. I've only done one run that I know would have flattened the old battery and this pair did not break into a sweat.

Attachments

• ebike.jpg
    ebike.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The BIG nightmare, need battery for an electric bike. Cost, over half the cost of the bike or in my case as much as the bike because I got a bargain off ebay. With an old bike is it worth a battery or do you buy a new bike ?

To improve my capacity I was looking at £400 for a lithium from China and that's a lot of cash to a distant land.

Or.

£60 to the UK. £60 bought me a pair of 20Ah 12V lead acid mobility batteries. Same capacity as £400 of lithium. Double the capacity of the original NiMH battery. LA will charger straight off the leisure battery or with a standard charger when on hook up. So here is my solution. I've only done one run that I know would have flattened the old battery and this pair did not break into a sweat.

Crackin' job, not quite as aerodynamic as original, but for that money I think I would be chuffed were I you........Griff

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks good Brian. The first question people should ask when buying bikes is about battery availability and then not take the salespersons assurances that they are cheaply available. Some bikes I've noticed being sold at shows recently had odd shaped bespoke batteries which you know will cost an arm and a leg in three years time if you can get them at all.

Nice job, you could have a second career in the conversion business :thumb: there are a few that will need it sooner than they think, especially as their batteries are going to be on the bike in the shed for the next 6 months, come next summer they'll be searching for this post:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Looks good Brian. The first question people should ask when buying bikes is about battery availability and then not take the salespersons assurances that they are cheaply available. Some bikes I've noticed being sold at shows recently had odd shaped bespoke batteries which you know will cost an arm and a leg in three years time if you can get them at all.

Nice job, you could have a second career in the conversion business :thumb: there are a few that will need it sooner than they think, especially as their batteries are going to be on the bike in the shed for the next 6 months, come next summer they'll be searching for this post:Smile:
to add to that! i would remove the batteries and store them indoors,and now and again put a maintainence charge into them if the bike is not going to be used for a while,to protect from frost and the like:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Brian, Good point about the price of batteries when choosing a bike. We went for the Powabike for this reason. I know they are old technology but they have 3 X 12volt motorcycle batteries in a case which although heavy can be replaced cheaply. One of the 12 volt batteries was not holding charge so put it on the desulfator for a week and its now perfect. Good bit of engineering by the way.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They look a bit heavy Brian but heck of a lot cheaper. I wonder if some of the original units could be rebuilt using re chargeable battery cells from Maplins.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They look a bit heavy Brian but heck of a lot cheaper. I wonder if some of the original units could be rebuilt using re chargeable battery cells from Maplins.

Yes they are heavy I have to accept that and mount them where I did.

It's hard to impossible to get get cells when talking in the 10Ah region and these are 20Ah. Maplin don't do them.

It's impossible to buy individual LiPo cells because they are a pig to use safely.

The biggest RS cell is a D sized cell 6Ah and £6.25 so at 1.2V I'd need 20 ( £150 ) for only 6Ah so £300 for 12Ah. Then making a holder would have been really difficult.

Ebay 220878350813 is a solution I did not want to risk.

These batteries are ebay 110771078014

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Not what you would call an elegant solution but a neat bit of thinking and engineering Brian

As you know I have been wrestling with the numbers as to whether it would be better to buy a new ebike at ASW, £699, there replacement batteries are £150, or a new battery for my Powercycle at £300 or just give up and use my old banger bike til I can peddle no more

I think I will have a good look at my ebike and see if it is possible to do the hilldweller conversion

Thanks Brian
PS Not a lot of vino left for Xmas :cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No idea how much they will charge but may be worth a call
Link Removed
BTW nice one Brian :thumb:
terry

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I sent my battery off to recycleyour battery but they could not do it as the cell sizes were impossible to get and it was a lithium battery that needs some sort of electro gizmos to make it work but I understand that they can do most batteries.

BTW
Nice chap to deal with

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As you know I have been wrestling with the numbers as to whether it would be better to buy a new ebike at ASW, £699, there replacement batteries are £150, or a new battery for my Powercycle at £300

£150 for a LiPo battery is a bit too cheap it seems to me.

SWMBO's bike cost £400 and I think it's £300 for the LiPo battery.

As Jim said, we dash out and buy these things without looking at the long term problems.

Same can be said with electric cars and hybrids. They're Green aren't they ! What is a second hand electric going to be worth when a new battery is something like £10,000. Look out for thefts of them, the new career for catalyst thieves.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No idea how much they will charge but may be worth a call
Link Removed
terry

Interesting site. Did you notice "no LiPo".

Traction batteries are developing rapidly, another few years will see a big improvement.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice conversion Brian, you been watching cowboy films and saddle bags !

Peter

Close. On our travels I did notice one or two ebikes which had the batteries in neat little panniers.

Another improvement I noticed was connectors in the motor cables. Both ours are wired direct, try mending a puncture like that. The campsite just outside Füssen was hiring ebikes. They oozed quality. Seriously engineered, quality controls, plugs on motor leads, I hate to think of the cost. I don't think we ever saw a German MH without bikes, usually just plain sit up and beg types. We saw a *lot* of German MHs.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=47.597294,10.738074&spn=0.003002,0.006443&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Interesting site. Did you notice "no LiPo".

Traction batteries are developing rapidly, another few years will see a big improvement.

Did not see that ::bigsmile: I found them when looking to replace some dead battery frill ones :thumb: Ended up leaving the drills on the shelf and buying another new drill with 2 3.5 amphr battery's cheaper than new batts
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back