E560 First Service (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had our first service this week. I had previously found two cracks in the roof, one star crack and another a linear crack on a change of profile. Told the dealer about this well in advance but was amazed when it was repaired in situ, when I popped up a ladder to check I had to dig out the photo's I'd taken to be sure of where the cracks had been, they performed an absolutely invisible repair with Gel Coat.

The water pump had given problems as well, took ages to purge the system after draining down. The dealer removed the in-line suction filter and the problem disappeared. Also, to my surprise the pump is now 80% quiter than before.

Other than that no problems. Charge was £134, cheaper than my caravan service costs. Going in for the chassis service next week.

Rgds
Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The dealer removed the in-line suction filter and the problem disappeared.

Hi Bill

I suspect the filter was either cracked or leaking at the pipe connection, this would let air into the system, so removing it solved the purging problem.. I would strongly advise that you have it replaced, if debris get into the pump it will damage the it.. I'm surprised the dealer removed it and not replace.

Jim

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
filter

Hi jim have e560 myself.pump very noisey..was thinking of trying what bill said.dont like the idea of no filter. Blackie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
Filter

Have to agree with you jim re no filter.i have e 560 pump very noisey. Blackie

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't have a problem with running the pump on no suction filter, it is very rare to see dirty water anywhere nowadays. The diaphragm pumps are quite robust.

We generally use water from a jug for the kettle and for cooking so contamination isn't an issue. The difference in the noise is rather marked. previously if we used the toilet in the middle of the night my dog, who sleeps on the seat above the pump, would leap off in fright when we flushed the toilet!

Since the service I have drained the system and refilled it twice and both times expelled all the air in just a few minutes rather than days.

The filter bowl may well be cracked though I have inspected it and pressed it up under pressure and can't detect anything. Strangely it was installed with the bowl down, correctly I believe, but it won't drain in this position so is susceptible to freezing which would crack the bowl. If it is installed upside down the air is much easier to expel from the system, but is it working correctly?

Rgds
Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't have a problem with running the pump on no suction filter, it is very rare to see dirty water anywhere nowadays. The diaphragm pumps are quite robust.

We generally use water from a jug for the kettle and for cooking so contamination isn't an issue. The difference in the noise is rather marked. previously if we used the toilet in the middle of the night my dog, who sleeps on the seat above the pump, would leap off in fright when we flushed the toilet!

Since the service I have drained the system and refilled it twice and both times expelled all the air in just a few minutes rather than days.

The filter bowl may well be cracked though I have inspected it and pressed it up under pressure and can't detect anything. Strangely it was installed with the bowl down, correctly I believe, but it won't drain in this position so is susceptible to freezing which would crack the bowl. If it is installed upside down the air is much easier to expel from the system, but is it working correctly?

Rgds
Bill

Hi Bill

I agree it's rare to get dirty water .. but I have found the odd bit of grass in the bowl, most likely got in when filling, any heavy dirt will generally stay in the bottom of the tank ..
I wouldn't have thought mounting the filter with the bowl up would make any difference .. can't recall seeing any instructions to the contrary, it just makes it easier to remove and clean without spillage

I'm intrigued as to why the pump is quieter without the filter .. but, as the saying goes... if it works ... don't fix it

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
"I'm intrigued as to why the pump is quieter without the filter .. but, as the saying goes... if it works ... don't fix it"

Me too, I have worked on pumps all my life and sometimes they just work the way they want too.

It could be that the suction pipe is now damping the vibration where before the bowl and assembly were actually amplifying it.

We live and learn.

rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back