E hook up at home (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi , can anyone tell me is it better to leave the van on hu while at home and to leave the boiler and heating on when the weather turns a bit chilly like last night, not drained the boiler yet as will probably use in the next couple of weeks or should you drain everything down and refill before you use it, also should i leave the window blinds closed all the time ? have heard it's best not to whats the general opinion on everything, as still a newbie (only just on the upward climb of learning) thanks.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I leave mine on hook up but drain down and empty tanks even if its only for a week or so. I use a small convector heater on low rather than use the vans heater. just keeps the chill off.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve put socket, blue socket as per campsite, on the side of my house and keep my MoHo plugged in 24/7. I don’t leave the heating on though, I do run a dehumidifier in there which creates a bit of heat and keeps the air circulated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi drain boiler/taps,etc leave taps incI shower with head hung down.. refill when needed...no need to do that if you leave heating on but I don't....if you are going to leave plugged in then shut blinds as it will help keep a little heat in...not sure on insurance implications if you simply leave it plugged in on your drive without you being in it overnight,so if anything does happen make sure you have a back up story:D
I also take out the bedding etc if we are not using the van for a few weeks ,,,, others say leave all cupboard doors open but I never have....vans sit on dealers forecourts for months without heat or anything ....When going away I usually fill tanks and put heating on the night before setting off next morning ,to warm the van through....it it like sticking fridge on night before in summer :xwink:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a socket on the drive but rarely plug in as have 300 watts of solar. Always drain down (that reminds me do it), never leave heating on in the van as warm air holds more moisture. Leave bedding and clothes in the van don't open lockers as ours are spaced off the wall for ventilation. Blinds normally leave close unless it's very hot, as you are not supposed to fully close them in hot sun.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I do run a dehumidifier in there which creates a bit of heat and keeps the air circulated.
Hi Andy all the dehumidifier will do is pull water out of the air inside the van which will keep pulling fresh damp air into the van....for dehumidifier to work you need the van to be almost airtight

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In winter I leave mhome hooked up in drive and heating on 8degs which with heated double floor keeps tanks and plumbing safe against frost should there be any residual water in system.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My regime- might be right, might be wrong;-

Always drain down fully after 1/11 until April after every use
Never leave heat on ( waste of money)
Never leave blinds down( stretches spring mechanism)
Remove bedding ( takes seconds)

Fresh air in pipes will not freeze:D ( if it does , won't do damage)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I use gas for heating at home because the cost per kWh of my lpg is less than I pay for electricity. I only heat it before going away, though. This weather, I drain down between trips. EHU is used once a month to recharge batteries if we've not been out.
Leave blinds unstretched.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't put any heating in mine. It's in my drive so I just drain down and open the fridge and cupboard doors. On sunny warmish winter days I open the windows and door to let fresh air inside BUT I don't close up until after dusk when the temp has dropped. If I close up during the day the air inside will have become quite warm and when the warm (moisture-rich) air cools and the m/h is closed up it will release its moisture causing damp/condensation. Mine's always dry as a bone all year.
I take it out for a 20 mile or so run for a brew on the seafront, in the country or just the long way round to the supermarket every couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Leaving the heating and boiler running will hammer your gas supply.
If your boiler is capable of 230v operation, not all are, it should be OK but easier to drain down and turn off.

Standalone heating appliances... Convectors, oil rads etc,... may/will invalidate your insurance if they cause a fire while left unattended.

Leaving the blinds down for a few months may/will weaken the return springs preventing them returning fully into the cassettes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Thanks guy's will drain down and open the blinds and turn heating off , as we might be getting some snow here in sunny Manchester (no it doesn't always rain )
Spriddler, do you always keep a full tank of diesel in it, again I have heard that it's best to keep moisture out of it?? put our outside windscreen cover on today hoping it will keep some of the cold air out!! do you think that might help keep jack frost at bay:D (had some frost on inside of screen today left the heat on last night at 8deg) again thanks.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We leave ours on hook up all the time at home, but we use it at least every 2nd weekend all through winter. I don’t drain it down , but do leave the hot water on at a low setting, and I leave the heating on at 10 degrees. I supplement this when I expect it to get down below zero with an oil filled radiator. We leave the silver screen on, bed made up, fridge with essentials in, so we are ready to leave at a moment’s notice. If it is going to be more than a week on the drive, or if it’s partuculatly cold I check it out a couple of Times a week

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I leave mine on hook up but drain down and empty tanks even if its only for a week or so. I use a small convector heater on low rather than use the vans heater. just keeps the chill off.

That's what we do and have the blinds at half mast (the same with the roof blinds) - keeps out most of the chill but if there is a bright and sunny day the heat can escape into the van and not get trapped between blind and plastic windows.

We also leave the windscreen covers on, plus put an electric dehumidifier in. People say that a dehumidifier pulls in damp from outside but even if that is the case at least fresh air is being moved around.

The diesel is usually topped up as we get near home.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Spriddler, do you always keep a full tank of diesel in it,
Yes, it's said to be a good thing to do. I endeavour to keep mine between 3/4 and full but I don't fret over it.
About every two weeks I warm it up quickly with a roughly 10 mile run at 50 to 60mph up a dual carriageway and wander back about 15 miles through back roads (maybe with a riverside brew or a bit of supermarket shopping) to polish any surface rust off the brake discs, and make the auto box and power steering work a bit.
In my experience most leisure type vehicles suffer irritating faults whilst standing idle for long periods. A chum who had a marine engineering business said that almost every boat engine became difficult to start, unreliable, or worn out through lack of regular use. Admittedly they were in a damp salty environment but even my car and motorbikes left at home for two or three weeks whilst away on holiday have developed niggling 'issues'.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Plug in every 3-4 weeks if not using or bateries drop <12.6 v, this time of year drain system, put the heating on to air bed etc 24hrs before leaving & fill with water on the day. Check it out every 10 days.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
As others, I've installed an external hook up on the garage wall and made another ehu lead so the van is permanently plugged in. Heating is left on '9' & 500w which seems to do the trick even during cold winters such as the last one. We have a weather beaten silverscreen which is also used during winter.

Tanks drained, cupboards & doors open, upholstery into one of the spare bedrooms. Every fortnight she gets a 20 min run.

When the weather is fine and we're not out and about the doors and windows are left open during daylight.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
For the past 8 years I’ve left truck on EHU at home, heating set at 10’c, not drained down, occasional dehumidification, bedding in situ.
Blinds mainly open especially top ones. Front winter cover on.

I drain down the water, flush and refill before each new trip.

We use it every 2-3 weeks over winter at least. Had no problems so far.

I make an excuse to “check” the inside every day - and occasionally check the bed is still comfy, the satellite TV still works, and the whisky has not gone off.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@bladerunner Like your style.

I've drained down the water tank (easier enough) and boiler, at least I think I have, if its to 2 valves under the dinette seat. I purchased a very small 500w oil filled rad from Screwfix (after recommendations on this forum) and set with dial at 3/4. In the 2 weeks I've been using it the average inside temp is anywhere between 6 and 11degrees. surely this is sufficient or should I use the MH heater and if so which should I run it off Gas, Electric or a mix of both, at the moment everything with the exception of a 240v socket (for the above oil rad heater) including gas are switched off.

Another more straight forward question. what's the consensus on MH covers over the winter. I never used one on my previous mode of holiday transport "Caravan" but at 3 times the value whould I be wise to use one on the MH.

As always, all responses greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I purchased a very small 500w oil filled rad from Screwfix (after recommendations on this forum) and set with dial at 3/4. In the 2 weeks I've been using it the average inside temp is anywhere between 6 and 11degrees. surely this is sufficient or should I use the MH heater and if so which should I run it off Gas, Electric or a mix of both, at the moment everything with the exception of a 240v socket (for the above oil rad heater) including gas are switched off.
Pointless, the warmer the air the more moisture it holds, all you are doing is encouraging condensation, never heat our van.

Another more straight forward question. what's the consensus on MH covers over the winter. I never used one on my previous mode of holiday transport "Caravan" but at 3 times the value whould I be wise to use one on the MH.
Only if you want to wreck your van, covers are notorious for scratching rooflights & windows, wearing the paintwork on corners down to bear metal. Also if you are not using the van what a pain in the arse to take off every few weeks to give the van a good run which is essential to keep it in good nick.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
... And most coachbuilts stand at almost or higher than three metres. We bought a 2nd hand set of warehouse steps, you know the type, wheels one end feet the other, so I can clean the roof. It has to be laid down in the garage of course but I'd think you'd need something similar if you wanted to pass a cover over the top to stop it snagging on roof lights, aerial, gas heater flue etc.

As Lenny says they've been known more often than not to abrade perspex as well as GRP and paintwork too.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have no option but to park under trees I would use a roof top cover but only as a last resort.
A topper is a cover for the roof only, it has no sides and is easier to fit and secure to prevent bodywork damage.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our van is kept in storage so no chance of hookup, but the solar panels keep the batteries topped up. All water tanks/boiler fully drained down, taps left open halfway between hot & cold, shower head on the floor to minimise any water left in the pipes, water pump run until it's dry. Don't forget to empty the cassette and flush tank if you have one. Take out bedding and leave a few lockers open to encourage air circulation but no heating, obviously. Leave the fridge door open too to prevent stale smells etc. (there's usually a catch to allow this).

As regards the window blinds the manufacturer recommends leaving them open to prevent stretching the springs. I bought a roll of the cheap silver insulating stuff, like that you can fix behind radiators, and made up individual internal screens for all the windows which just push in. The Remis front and skylight blinds aren't on springs so I leave those closed too. It doesn't keep the van any warmer I suppose but prevents sunshine (!) damaging the fabrics and also stops nosy folk checking us out.

We normally bring the van home a day or two before going away, plug in and get the heating and fridge going. So far in nearly ten years we've had no problem.

But it's rare we leave the van for more than a month - the answer to everything is to use it!

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have a EHU socket outside, but the boiler is gas only. So, rather than use the van boiler, we put a little oil radiator inside and set the thermostat for the lowest setting. Keeps ours 7-9 deg for nearly nothing (according to the smart meter). Every so often, I ask the Truma INet jobby for the latest scores. I don't need to, but the INet text replies are so polite and it makes me grin!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back