E bikes road testing (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We have been considering a couple of ebikes for the last Year or more, but I was finding it difficult to decide. The dealers round Manchester were not very helpful, and although I may be an idiot sometimes I certainly don't like being treated as one. All very reluctant to offer test rides of anything more than up and down the car park. I had all but decided not to bother when we met a nice couple in an aire in France who let us try there ebikes. We realised they would be a good idea and on our return Fiona found a place near Samlesbury Preston () who said we could test ride.

I assumed it would be the usual offer to try one bike in the car park. I was very pleased to find when they say test ride they mean it. Any bike in the shop, and the chance to take it on cycle ways and roads in the area. Fiona and I spent well over two hours riding a selection of bikes around a circuit of lanes and cycle ways. The result we learned a lot about different types of bikes and the performance/comfort/gadgets and did buy two.

I have no connection with I cycle electric, I did not know of them till this week, but can really recommend them for offering a wide range of bikes to try, knowing a lot about them and being prepared to explain everything. And then just letting you try riding on real roads.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Can I ask what you ended up buying? We're still considering getting an ebike and would be interested in your thoughts (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have Merida Espresso's and are well pleased with them. Just spent a few weeks in France and reckon their range could be near 100 miles on ordinary terrain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We ended up with an EBCO UCL80, the most expensive one we rode, as usual.

we tried a couple of entry level bikes with front wheel motors and no suspension and the type of gear change I was used to as a youth where the chain jumps to a different sized rear sprocket when you push a lever on the handlebar. They were good but then I tried one with the motor built into the pedal sprocket housing also with front suspension. It felt smoother under power and the suspension definitely made a difference. Same type of gear change, which is far better than I remember from the past.

Finally I tried the UCL80 with hub gears and hydraulic rim brakes. More expensive and it is hard to justify the extra cost, however I enjoyed that bike the most and rode it for about 6 miles up hill and down then compared it with the less expensive option again, and was sure. The UCL80 has no crossbar making getting off and on easier. The display is large and easy to read on other bikes I was having to use my reading glasses to see what mode it was in. The gear change is smooth and again I can read the numbers on the control without glasses. The hydraulic brake feel better stopping the bike and the front suspension makes it feel better under braking
Claimed maximum range 70 miles in eco mode (lowest level of assistance) so I recon that it should easily do 25 miles under all conditions.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We found bespoke e bikes very helpful. Short test ride on several ebikes, to decide which one we fancied then a full proper toad test including a very steep hill to give them a proper test. We then left it several months to research/ think about it before going back to buy a couple of Raleigh Motus bikes.
Highly recommend both bikes & dealer.

http://www.bespoke-ebikes.co.uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back