E-Bikes Insurance in the EU (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
EU authorities are considering making it mandatory for E-Bike owners to take out accident insurance.
Victoria Pendelton has said Brussels is threatening to drive E-Bike owners off the road by introducing laws that would force E-Bike cyclists to take out insurance which could cost as much as £100 a year.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Certainly here in Spain any ebike which can be propelled without pedal assist only (ie by using a throttle or buttons rather than just pedalling to tell the motor to kick in to help) is now classed as a motor scooter just like a 50cc petrol engined scooter, and thus needs third party insurance at least, plus registration plates etc. Cannot remember if that is the same all.over the EU now, or is country-specific law just here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
E-bikes are not the same as peddle bikes. They are unpredictable with propulsion coming from a motor. I was following a mature lady recently on a hill. Now being on a peddle bike which I had no reason to think she wasn't, I could have predicted that she would slow up considerably allowing all traffic to safely pass. Not so, she went up that hill like Jaws pulling out of the Ace café leaving all vehicle drivers totally confused. This could put inconsiderate E-bike riders in jeopardy. Like all other powered bikes I don't think some form of insurance would be a bad thing.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
E-bikes are not the same as peddle bikes. They are unpredictable with propulsion coming from a motor.
I don't disagree but there are also any number of unpredictable cyclists on normal bikes (usually wearing lycra). I've lost count of the number I've witnessed ignoring red lights, riding in a group across the centre of the road, not looking behind when pulling out to overtake etc. So maybe the answer is they all need to take out third party insurance to protect those more responsible drivers who are around them ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well the daft old cow next door to me ran straight in to my car when it was parked not a thing I can do except clime off my own insurance I think push bikes should have sum kind of insurance.
the twats can run right in to you and just walk away without even a sorry a mandatory £10 pounds per family impossible to administer I know it wont work
bill

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
well the daft old cow next door to me ran straight in to my car when it was parked not a thing I can do except clime off my own insurance I think push bikes should have sum kind of insurance.
the twats can run right in to you and just walk away without even a sorry a mandatory £10 pounds per family impossible to administer I know it wont work
bill

Not true. You can due her personally for recompense for the damage her actions caused. The only difference with having insurance is that the insurance company dtands in front of the respondent that you are asking to pay for the damage.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not true. You can due her personally for recompense for the damage her actions caused. The only difference with having insurance is that the insurance company dtands in front of the respondent that you are asking to pay for the damage.
on to a loser their their one of the worst family's in the estate thay pay nothing i spent my first two years her roiling around with her sons in my front garden i Don't get any problems from them now as i gave a good account of my shelf.
but it's unlikely thaye will pay up
bill

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't disagree but there are also any number of unpredictable cyclists on normal bikes (usually wearing lycra). I've lost count of the number I've witnessed ignoring red lights, riding in a group across the centre of the road, not looking behind when pulling out to overtake etc. So maybe the answer is they all need to take out third party insurance to protect those more responsible drivers who are around them ?
This is a thread requesting an opinion on powered bikes not push bikes JS. There are plenty of push bike threads where your own prejudice can be aired.(y)

Last edited:

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
This is a thread requesting an opinion on powered bikes not push bikes JS. There are plenty of push bike threads where your own prejudice can be aired.(y)
Fair point, but it looks like I'm not alone with my "prejudice", though I prefer to call it an "opinion" (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My ebike is peddle assist, it's no better or worse than a normal bike with a relatively fit adult on board, the motor just makes up for my lack of prowess in the lung department, so I will say no to specific ebike insurance. I agree with the comments about inconsiderate riders not obeying the rules of the road and maybe a blanket insurance requirement for all two wheelers perhaps. The fact that Miss Marple shot off like a scalded cat from the lights just reinforces the fact that you should be prepared for anything and everything once you're behind the wheel of your vehicle.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
My ebike is peddle assist, it's no better or worse than a normal bike with a relatively fit adult on board, the motor just makes up for my lack of prowess in the lung department, so I will say no to specific ebike insurance.
I agree! A pedalec is no different to any other pedal bike apart from the fact it is a bit heavier than most, at least mine is. Just takes the drudge out of hills and headwinds.

Richard.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
on to a loser their their one of the worst family's in the estate thay pay nothing i spent my first two years her roiling around with her sons in my front garden i Don't get any problems from them now as i gave a good account of my shelf.
but it's unlikely thaye will pay up
bill

I said you could sue her.....I didn't say that process would result in her paying up.

You could also go round and break her legs. Or smash up some of her possessions in response.
But that might also have some consequences..........

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I said you could sue her.....I didn't say that process would result in her paying up.

You could also go round and break her legs. Or smash up some of her possessions in response.
But that might also have some consequences..........
in the proses of suing her wont work nether thay don't even pay the bailiffs i will just sort it my shelf
bill

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
If insurance companies are going to insure the e bikes for third party liability on a public highway they could insist on proof of servicing annually or even a Mot type check .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The fact that Spain and the EU with yet more controlling restrictive regulation illustrates why we in UK are so different and underlines why we should exit the EU.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, I heard them called "E"bikes and "B"bikes then there is the odd "C"bikes and of course the "F"bikes. Depends what word you use.............. ;) and if you like bikes........
I'm not loosing sleep over this one at least they can't banned them in 2020........................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back