E-Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
new
I have a new Thule double bike rack on a newly fitted swing out towball arm, which is attached to my new Adria Twin (Fiat Ducato). all very nice I know. . problem is, the bikes (and rack) seem to bounce alarmingly over small bumps in the road and even worse on speed bumps. Has anyone else experienced this? So far the manufacturer has directed me to the dealer who has sent me back to the installer. Before I start the whole process off, I just wondered if anyone else have had this issue? The bikes are within the weight tolerance BTW

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
E bikes are just regular bikes with a motor and a battery, same as a regular bike but just heavier. Its just a simple case, if the weight & distribution doesn't exceed the manufacturers design then go for it. Too often you read things about ebikes that makes them sound as if they've been built by the devil. Our 2 ebikes move about on our rack, exactly the same as our non-ebikes did.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would ensure that a D lock or equivalent was attached through the frame to the rack, so that if the unthinkable happened they would still be there ...... and any passing thief generally gives up looking at yours and passes onto an easier target

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I have experience of this setup on my car (not motorhome). Bouncing appears to be a feature of the setup. Everything is on one pivot point, and the extra weight gives extra momentum. I just go steady over the bumps.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Are you leaving the batteries on the bikes or taking them off?
We always reduce the weight of our Ebikes to the minimum when on our Thule towball mounted carrier. The towbar is chassis mounted.
Never seen any obvious excessive movment.

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Can't easily take the batteries off ours - smaller and semi-permanently fitted in the frame, but the bikes weigh around 15kg each rather than the 25kg of the bigger batteried/motored ebikes of our friends. I don't know whether the movement seen is excessive, but its a lot more than we see when we have them on the Fiamma rack attached to the back wall of the motorhome.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back