Nov 5, 2014
Northeast England
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
since 2013
Hi,
I intend to take our e-bikes on the back of my Motorhome down to Spain for 3 months. However although there is some very expensive insurances and the longest period I can find is indeed 90 days European cover but this is within a 1 year period. As we intend to return abroad again within that year I can not find any company that will cover you for longer than 90 days in a one year period.
Our house insurance only covers bikes up to a value of £1000 and we are purchasing Kalkoff bikes which are £2500 each so would prefer to take out a separate insurance.
I find it strange in this day and age they ask questions like - will it do more than 15mph ( surely it depends on how quick you are peddling and if you are going down hill ). I have been quoted £175/bike - I pay less for my motorbike. Does anyone know of an insurance company that covers you for more than 90 days.
Cheers

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The reason bike insurance is so high is because about 20% of bikes get stolen every year
We paid 275 to insure a pair of bikes with a combined value of 3500
Regards
Robett

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Our electric bikes are covered while away from home with our household insurance via CCCC and up to 180 days away in one trip.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try L&V..An insurance company don't work for you?..change the insurer. stand alone insurance far to expensive! we have expensive e bikes (Bosch) covered here or abroad....

even if you get cover, probably not covered while on a bike rack..best check!

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah! OK! ..............note to myself..must pay more attention!:D

penny wise pound foolish springs to mind :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I find it strange in this day and age they ask questions like - will it do more than 15mph ( surely it depends on how quick you are peddling and if you are going down hill ).

The 15mph is for when under electric power. If they do over 15.5mph under non-pedal power (I think - not sure of the exact speed) then you need to register the vehicle with the DVLA (as an electric motorbike) and it would need motor insurance and all the rest of the palaver.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
15.5 is the limit that assist must tail off under EPAC laws. It's easy to ride above those speeds when you have the momentum, but the assist really helps on hills....

Jul 3, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bought motor home two yrs ago after having caravans for 30 years
We got ours today caravan guard , £66 for two electric bikes valued £1600

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Try BikmoPlus, cover worldwide and unlimited time. Not cheap £254 for £4000 value of bikes (2).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try BikmoPlus, cover worldwide and unlimited time. Not cheap £254 for £4000 value of bikes (2).

that looks a good find Beny...well done :) Will check them up when renewing....

how are you getting on with the new Bosch bikes?(y)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Was hard work and a bit embarrassing.
Got a quote from Fetch £267 for 180 days, then found the name Bikmo in a bests bikes insurance list and called them. The lady that answer recognised my voice and asked if that is Beny LOL, one company that offering different brand policies.
The Bikmopluse quite new aim to competing cyclist that way worldwide and unlimited time. You recording the total value of all your bikes at home and recording the value of the bikes you are taking away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back