LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I think Mark Carney's analysis of the state of capitalism in the UK is right. I find him a very astute and good Governor of the Bank of England. Who on earth will take over from him in 2018?

Those that have, have a lot more than they would have in the past and those at the bottom end of the spectrum are suffering with poor jobs, poor pay, poor contracts (zero hours etc). Towns are having the centres ripped out of them by internet companies and out of town shopping centres and even they will soon start to struggle. Corporate and sport greed is creating an undercurrent of unhappiness which is beginning to surface by those who see their jobs being taken by migrants. The recession and lack of pay growth is being felt by the poor and those are probably hard working families!

Global Corporations are stripping money away from countries and not paying their fair share of tax.

I don't think the government realise what is happening or know how serious it is!

Hopefully they will take note of Carney's speech!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Apologies for the doom and gloom outburst but Dyson is just capitalising on those who have more money than sense but the chinese or others from out there will soon copy it and flout his patents no doubt!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I saw the advert and thought it would be a great xmas present for my daughter ..... until I saw the £299 price at Curry's! Totally ridiculous

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I would never pay that for a hairdryer.
However I did once say that about Dyson hoovers , but having purchased one would never have anything else!:xblush:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Dyson are far from the engineering pioneers they claim to be.
They are just very good at repackaging proven automotive and aeronautical concepts in bright coloured plastic and flogging them for ridiculous money.
The Dyson vacuum simply uses principles developed in air filters for agricultural and armoured vehicles, the hairdryer simply uses Benuli's venturi theorem (carburettors) and the digital motor simply isn't digital but a choppered induction motor as found in most forklifts.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We had one of their early upright cleaners and the plastic soon went brittle and bits broke and fell off.
We now have a Sebo which is first class.
Also inherited a Miele cylinder which is also very good.
Unfortunately neither are British!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are just very good at repackaging proven automotive and aeronautical concepts in bright coloured plastic and flogging them for ridiculous money.
The Dyson vacuum simply uses principles developed in air filters for agricultural and armoured vehicles, the hairdryer simply uses Benuli's venturi theorem (carburettors) and the digital motor simply isn't digital but a choppered induction motor as found in most forklifts.
HSE Announcement
Warning "as found in most forklifts." Is for reference purposes only ----- PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRY HAIR WITH A FORKLIFT.:xeek:
Even if they are cheaper than a Dyson Hair Dryer:xdoh:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I saw the advert and thought it would be a great xmas present for my daughter ..... until I saw the £299 price at Curry's! Totally ridiculous
What's ridiculous is people paying £100 more. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When you get back from a trip. put your Euros of $ on e bat for a far far better return than you paid for them
Ive made good money twice now
They are out there believe me :xeek:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Sold out now..:cry:

if you have to have one then buy direct through dyson, or john lewis, it'll cost you considerably less..

and i'm with @Abacist, many, many years ago when dyson first started, i saw a demo of vacuum cleaners, the sebo won hands down, bought mine on the spot, (still have it) and it was cheaper too..
wouldn't have a dyson anything even if you paid me..

Last edited:

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
We recently bought one of the Dyson V6 cordless vacuum cleaners, mainly for cleaning the van when at home. It was a refurbished one - by Dyson - and sold on their eBay website. It was considerably cheaper and included all the attachments you normally need to buy separately, plus it came with 12 months guarantee.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We had one of their early upright cleaners and the plastic soon went brittle and bits broke and fell off.
We now have a Sebo which is first class.
Also inherited a Miele cylinder which is also very good.
Unfortunately neither are British!

Neither are Dyson.
They manufacture in the far east. They are a classic British service industry not a manufacturer. We are a nation of middle men.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
A normal motor that mysteriously becomes a "digital motor" when it is controlled by PWM pulses, cyclonic vacuum cleaners that are based on old workshop sawdust extraction principles and are only as good as their filters, brightly coloured flimsy aesthetics to appeal to the housewife, over priced hand driers. Whatever happened to their well overpriced washing machine, I have to wonder?

What does this £300 hairdryer do that a £30 Nicky Clarke special doesn't? Aside from the cost giving the owner something to boast about, I can't think of anything

There are always going to be people amongst us that treasure the cost of something above it's worth, just look at Apple's business model of you are in any doubt.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wont say I already have one from John Lewis case she reads my posts.....:)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

"Digital"

Sounds sexy for some prospective buyers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back