Dyson AM09 Hot/Cold fan heater ??? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Are these expensive fan heaters any good ?

It’s for in our conservatory which can get a wee bit chilly. Do they heat up fast ? Would one warm up a fairly large space ? How are they on electricity use are they silly dear to run ??

Are there any real alternatives ?

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Every Watt (or kiloWatt) that goes to an electric heater is turned into heat so in those terms they're all approaching 100% efficient. The only thing that varies is how they spread it about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Personally I wouldn’t bother with any sort of van heater, they provide instant warmth but only in the immediate area, all fan heaters are expensive to run.
For me, I would use an oil filled electric radiator or get the conservatory sorted out with the house central heating.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Try Dysons Refurb site, I got one of these almost half price (still expensive compared to a conventional fan) to me it looked like a new stock item, still had film over all the parts. It does give a good distribution of hot and cold and is much quieter than an ordinary fan..and takes up a lot less room

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
An AC system is more efficient than heating elements.
A 1kw electrical consumption will give you over 3kw heating output. Plus you've got cooling mode for summer. Down side is cost to buy.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
We have one at home and love it. It can be set at a certain temperature and will then turn off/on when it reaches it. So much quieter than a conventional bladed fan and can be used as both a heater and cooler.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
All electric heaters use 1kw of electricity to produce virtually 1 kw of heat. Your conservatory will require a good few kw each hour to heat it to comfort temperature. Eack kw will cost you about 15p in hour depending on your electricity deal.
So any electric heater will be expensive.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Personally I wouldn’t bother with any sort of van heater, they provide instant warmth but only in the immediate area, all fan heaters are expensive to run.
For me, I would use an oil filled electric radiator or get the conservatory sorted out with the house central heating.

The conservatory is heated. It has full underfloor heating but we choose to keep this area on a minimum. Underfloor heated property has zones controlled by thermostats in every room ... But to heat the conservatory 24 7 would be very very expensive. Bear in mind we are out in the sticks so on LPG and you will understand where I’m at. The conservatory also has a thumping great multi fuel burner but we don’t often keep it burning all night.

I’m after just a bit of instant heat when going into the area first thing in the morning. Said conservatory has a fully insulated vaulted roof so it’s not the usual super cold in the winter and unbearably hot in summer. Nevertheless I still would like a blast of warmth first thing in the morning while the multi fuel warms up which does not take long ...

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you compare electricity and gas tariffs you probably pay about 3 times as much per Kwh (compare gas equivalent Kwh tariff shown on your Bill) for electric heating as you would for gas unless you have your own solar roof panels. You won't see a cost difference between running a fan heater or electric oil-filled rad, both will use the same amount of electricity.

Deleted User
We have been looking at these for a while now particularly as the Dyson hair drier performs so well, however, can't quite make our minds up. Those that have them love them, those that haven't think they are a waste of money so it's one of those areas you really need to satisfy yourself on. They look good and always a talking point as Dyson seems to be a bit like Brexit, people seem polarised one way or t'other.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The conservatory is heated. It has full underfloor heating but we choose to keep this area on a minimum. Underfloor heated property has zones controlled by thermostats in every room ... But to heat the conservatory 24 7 would be very very expensive. Bear in mind we are out in the sticks so on LPG and you will understand where I’m at. The conservatory also has a thumping great multi fuel burner but we don’t often keep it burning all night.

I’m after just a bit of instant heat when going into the area first thing in the morning. Said conservatory has a fully insulated vaulted roof so it’s not the usual super cold in the winter and unbearably hot in summer. Nevertheless I still would like a blast of warmth first thing in the morning while the multi fuel warms up which does not take long ...
Sounds like it will only be on for 15 minutes or so,therefore a cheap and cheerful fan heater would be my choice........but then I am a tight buzzard!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Same here, I know it's against building regs but sod them.

When our conservatory was being built we were due a visit from the inspector. I said to our builders to put in the plumbing but not the radiator and put a bucket over the pipes.
They actually put in the radiator, a double one about 10ft long and the inspector ignored it so probably not that important.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
We use one in the RV when on hook up, warms the interior quickly we have it on the wide spread air setting, fan speed no1 (out of 10) and it cuts in and out at the set temp, it’s very quite and does not disturb while sleeping
In the summer it produces very cool air also

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Rather than Breakfast, why not use the conservatory for Coffee or Lunch, after the sun's been out for a while? Sunshine is much the cheapest form of heat.
There's no short cut with electricity. Contrary to whatever the marketing claims may say, 1kW = 1kW. You cannot get more, although you can spend a lot more for a given output.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We use one in the RV when on hook up, warms the interior quickly we have it on the wide spread air setting, fan speed no1 (out of 10) and it cuts in and out at the set temp, it’s very quite and does not disturb while sleeping
In the summer it produces very cool air also

Do they actually cool the air or is it the movement of air that makes it feel like it does ?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Rather than Breakfast, why not use the conservatory for Coffee or Lunch, after the sun's been out for a while? Sunshine is much the cheapest form of heat.
There's no short cut with electricity. Contrary to whatever the marketing claims may say, 1kW = 1kW. You cannot get more, although you can spend a lot more for a given output.

I’m not that concerned with the cost of the electric though it’s nice to know what these things cost in the real world.

I was after information on how good or bad they are for instance fast or slow heat up good or bad distribution the pros and cons if you like.

Reviews are very very mixed on the internet some saying it’s an expensive fan but if they cool well as well then that would justify the cost. The machine is small which is also good especially as I have a nice wee spot to home one out of the way nice and subtle. Plus if they cool well and are quiet use in the MH would be cool as well..... pun intended.

It’s all well and good some saying just an expensive fan but there is a little more to it than that surely ????

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Personally, I don't rate Dyson and I've not experienced the product you refer to, so my help will be limited and may be biased. No idea how it cools (good question) but fancy that it's by bowing air quickly over you. For heating, it may feel better than a weaker fan when stood in front of, but it won't heat a room much quicker than another heater of the same output. It would probably be slightly better at pushing the air about and thus moving the hotter air back from the ceiling, though.
For cooling, I'd get an air conditioner after installing blinds that reduce heat gain.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our conservatory was nearly 90F this afternoon with the sun. As far as I know the Dyson fan is just an overpriced fan, it doesn't cool the air just evaporates your sweat faster and makes you feel cooler. We have a ceiling fan in our conservatory which is a great help in the summer, which does the same but is probably cheaper than the Dyson even if you pay someone to install it.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Personally, I don't rate Dyson and I've not experienced the product you refer to, so my help will be limited and may be biased. No idea how it cools (good question) but fancy that it's by bowing air quickly over you. For heating, it may feel better than a weaker fan when stood in front of, but it won't heat a room much quicker than another heater of the same output. It would probably be slightly better at pushing the air about and thus moving the hotter air back from the ceiling, though.
For cooling, I'd get an air conditioner after installing blinds that reduce heat gain.

An air conditioner would be expensive surely .. not really portable either.. We have full blinds in the conservatory.... And the van.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
But you didn't seem too concerned about cost.

Another thing I considered for cooling was an extractor fan in the roof. Either solar powered or (better) temperature controlled. Another solution might be a greenhouse-type ventilator.

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
we use a 3 kw convector ,which dose the job,you may take about 10-15 min to heat the room up, the problem with water radiators you need the boiler on for the house

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Do they actually cool the air or is it the movement of air that makes it feel like it does ?
Not sure, turn it on put it ‘cool’ and feel cooler
Wether it’s producing colder air or evaporating sweat its more comfortable than not having it on, if it gets really warm I fire up one or both of the AC units fitted to the RV :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back