LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I know Surrey is a big place but did you know there is a new one at the Texaco on the A25 between Dorking and Leatherhead?
I know Surrey is a big place but did you know there is a new one at the Texaco on the A25 between Dorking and Leatherhead?
When I looked earlier this week that was also out of order

I’m OK now. Filled up just outside of Newcastle!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Still plenty near us and on our travels

BF7AC4C4-9233-4E6C-BEED-6FDFAE655655.png

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
I use the Autogas App and it seems to find me LPG on route, as well as several local (Watford area) or on my main routes out.
I do find that the App often says the pump isn't working at the Watfod Sainsburys filling station, but more than not, its an outdated report and there is LPG available. I just pass by it on my way to top up, and if not working plan to use another en route. I tend to fill up my 11KG cylinder when it gets to ~50% to save anxiety.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Have you got the Mylpg.eu app, I'm in the South and use the app to find plenty of places to fill up

Screenshot_20210502_080735.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I’ve a feeling the reduction in LPG outlets is a southern thing. We actually have one more than we did a year ago. Why? I don’t know but certainly no shortage around here.
Also a few in the South West, Shell at Saltash (A38), Trago Mills and also Esso (I think) on North Bound A38 close to Exeter....

May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
West willow services Ower New forest working mid April. We also use what was Counteywide farmers now Flogas where you have a key to unlock sites.

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thought I would load the auto gas app from posting No 64 it loaded ok but can not get it to accept any address or country and opening page stuck on Western Australia any advice welcome

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thought I would load the auto gas app from posting No 64 it loaded ok but can not get it to accept any address or country and opening page stuck on Western Australia any advice welcome
I just downloaded it, works fine. Try uninstalling & reinstalling.

Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
For emergengy supply i use my bbq outlet from a stand alone bottle. Method is
Piece of flexible gas pipe of suitable length. Attach a propane regulator suitably clipped at one end. Other end i use a bbq point attachment to vehicle again suitably clipped.
Result
Connet bottle to regulator then insrt and twist in to side of van the bbq attachment (do it in that order to eliminate gas escape from bbq point) all connected turn on the bottle and you have a regulated propane gas supply.
This does work and i have used this method.

Gritto

Free Member
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
IH J1000
Exp
1 month
We use Morrison’s at Wisbech, about 6 miles away at 57.9p a litre. Never had any probs obtaining lpg. Stopped on M23 service area enroute to Brighton, lpg there as well. I think this is a over reported issue and note that Safefill have just signed a partnership with Morrison’s.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We use Morrison’s at Wisbech, about 6 miles away at 57.9p a litre. Never had any probs obtaining lpg. Stopped on M23 service area enroute to Brighton, lpg there as well. I think this is a over reported issue and note that Safefill have just signed a partnership with Morrison’s.
It’s a shame that the garage is on the other side of the road there. Always a busy road for getting in and out around there.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It is going to become a pain in the wotsit. It already is. I had a station 1 mile from home, now gone in the last couple of months. Next nearest is about 6 miles, it was out of service last weekend, fixed midweek, and already broken again. Next nearest as I work round surrey and I'm starting to really clock up the miles, about 20 and that has just been reported as out of service, or I start perhaps going towards Hampshire and hope the Fleet services havent got rid .....

Probably less of an issue for some European countries where LPG vehicles had a higher take up but in the UK LPG motive power was always niche. Motorhomers don't justify forecourt pumps - I think the most I've even managed, even with the tank saying it was empty was under £10 (odd if I have a 25litre tank based on the manufacturer spec)

For future vehicles, the manufacturers will need to look away from LPG use if they haven't got space in the vehicle to revert to old style expensive bottles. But in the smaller vans, alternatives could also be an issue. How big a battery bank would you need to power that fridge? Do we try diesel for heating and cooking, until that too is phased out?

For existing vehicles there is a real quandry. You can get adaptor hoses so you could put a gas bottle to the LPG inlet so effectively your on board system now runs gas vapour rather than LPG in the onboard tank. But where do you store that portable bottle whilst driving along and how do you stop someone nicking it once on site.

As a small PVC owner with space for only one gas bottle in the locker, I had thought about getting a model with a LPG tank underneath. Instead, I opted for Truma's diesel water and space heating, a factory-fit option costing £660 (2017 price) in lieu of the standard gas/electric Truma. A compressor fridge with 2 leisure batteries was standard spec anyway which should be enough for a couple of nights off grid. I could have added a solar panel but we normally use EHU.

Propane for heating and fridge can be avoided by going diesel. A diesel hob wasn't available, but no big deal. The extra diesel consumption for heating is noticeable, but I haven't tried to record it separately. I know that on a calorific basis propane is cheaper than diesel mainly due to tax, but from my POV that wasn't a deal breaker.

One 7kg Calor bottle was fitted in 2017; only used for cooking on the gas hob. I doubt if it will run out this season. I'm aiming for at least 5 seasons' use!

As 2030 approaches I foresee that a significant number of petrol / diesel filling stations will have closed, to be replaced by charging stations. Today the UK has about 500,000 BEVs out of a total 40 million cars and vans but that balance is going to change towards the BEV numbers while the fossil fuel demand will shrink correspondingly. In 10 years' time Funsters could be posting on a similar thread about dwindling fuel stations and where to find diesel at affordable prices.

Jun 5, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner i660
Exp
since 1992
Morrisons. Almost all their supermarkets have LPG. While its not a huge value in LPG terms for them, maybe £12-£15, that also means I fill with fuel there (£100 of deisel), and shop there, another £100 of food and drink whiel out and about. That LPG pump gives Morrisons £200+ a time from me. ... And it means I dont even look for anywhere else.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
. In 10 years' time Funsters could be posting on a similar thread about dwindling fuel stations and where to find diesel at affordable prices.
I would agree if you had said 25 years. Given on average a vehicle lasts 15 years and motorhomes much more. You'll still ge able to buy one in 2029.

I'm 58. I reckon I'll never struggle to get diesel unless government bans it.

Apr 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
I did read somewhere that Morrisons are putting more LPG on their forecourts

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Odd innit ?
P&O have two new giant ships which have only been able to ply up and down the North Sea because they run on LPG and refuelling elsewhere is not yet available.

Feb 3, 2017
Stevenage
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Where can I fill up near london, Herts, beds Bucks?
The Henlow Lakes Campsite (couple of miles from A1(M) junction 10 Stotfold turn off I think it is) has an on site pump.
Best to phone ahead to let them know as security is good and they take card payment at the pump.
Regards. John

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Odd innit ?
P&O have two new giant ships which have only been able to ply up and down the North Sea because they run on LPG and refuelling elsewhere is not yet available.
A bit like lorries that run on it, usually a supermarket type use it as always returning to base after delivery so can get the gas.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Morrison's in Kirkstall Leeds will not allow motorhomes to fill with lpg as apparently it's the wrong type of gas!!! so the cashier has been told. I did mention that the large sign on their tank says Propane and we had used Morrison's in Doncaster but to no avail. Just as well down the road less than half a mile is a another fuel station and it's 2p a litre cheaper.

Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Luckily my Fifer van's underslung tank only feeds the stove. I think I filled the tank up 2 years ago and it's still a quarter full. But your comment is valid and a pain for many.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I would agree if you had said 25 years. Given on average a vehicle lasts 15 years and motorhomes much more. You'll still ge able to buy one in 2029.

I'm 58. I reckon I'll never struggle to get diesel unless government bans it.
I agree with your sentiment but suspect that successive governments which ever denomination will tax us off the planet within 10 years.
Fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, I'm a good 10 years older so it may be less of a problem

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
When I was filling up the other day at Stonehenge I enlisted Mrs CC to press the button on the pump while I looked after the nozzle as first time I’ve ever used gas.
Was all going good until she said there was an alarm going off, could hear something but thought best stop.
Took the nozzle off walked back to the pump ‘Alarm’ she heard was my phone ringing on handsfree in the van! Grrrr, :doh: :doh:

Managed to get the tank up to 90% so will last months😁😁

• Funny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back