Dvla (1 Viewer)

Overdale

Free Member
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
Hi, does anyone have any examples of camper van conversions that have been accepted by the dvla, I am particularly interested to learn what has been deemed to be compliant, with kind regards Kelvin

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Overdale
Find the search box top right of screen.
Type in Van Conversions, then try a more defined search, loads come up as we have so many members with self built van conversions.
Good Luck.
LES
PS: Try DVLA Self build rules etc, play around with titles like that. (y)

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Overdale If you're looking to register your van as a 'motor caravan', then here's the guidance from DVLA website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan

I purchased a VW Crafter LWB high top last year, which is a full conversion and was already registered as a motor caravan. The guidance appears to be relatively straight forward, but I suspect that if you get a 'jobsworth', they may make the process harder than it needs to be. That final comment is based on previous dealings with the DVLA and the luck of the draw on who you get on the day.

Here's my camper if you're interested: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/just-joined-ne-scotland.236895/#post-4393761

Good luck with your venture. 👍🏼

Arron.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Last month I was contacted by a customer who had his van conversion refused a reclassification by DVLA. They stated it had to have suitable camper graphics.
He didn't want to fit any graphics but unless he complied with there rules he was stuck.
We got together and he chose a design/colours and layout. I fitted them, he photographed them and I promptly removed them and threw them away. I sprayed the graphics with silicone which meant they didn't stick. This was a very useful trick I use on vehicles for tv filming and promotional pictures.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Hi, does anyone have any examples of camper van conversions that have been accepted by the dvla, I am particularly interested to learn what has been deemed to be compliant, with kind regards Kelvin
Prepare for a battle with the DVLA as they will not give any examples, guidelines or method of determining if your van conversion will be accepted as a Motor Caravan. I have seen examples of vans that have been accepted and those that haven't and it is down to the opinion of the assessor at the DVLA.
It seems if you add graphics depicting compasses or references to the outdoors rather then you are more likely to get it accepted.
If you follow their guidelines, in particular the internal features you will get a letter from then saying that although the V5 has been changed to 'van with windows' you can still use the vehicle as a Motor Caravan and have the benefit of the rules that apply to Motor Caravans such as speed limits and nearly all insurance companies will accept the van for insurance as Motor Caravan. It's not essential to have the V5 changed to Motor Caravan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been many posts on this issue.
It seems most self / DIY convertors follow the guidelines but DVLA are sending most back as "van with windows".
As mentioned, do a search to read up on past comments.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Last month I was contacted by a customer who had his van conversion refused a reclassification by DVLA. They stated it had to have suitable camper graphics.
He didn't want to fit any graphics but unless he complied with there rules he was stuck.
We got together and he chose a design/colours and layout. I fitted them, he photographed them and I promptly removed them and threw them away. I sprayed the graphics with silicone which meant they didn't stick. This was a very useful trick I use on vehicles for tv filming and promotional pictures.

Very odd. But a professionally converted van doesn't? I have a friend with a VW campervan converted by a well known company but it doesn't have any graphics. I suppose they could have done your trick? Can you use a Van as a camper van without reclassification?

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Below is the graphics on my camper. I'm assuming that this is how the photos were presented to DVLA, however I can't be certain, as I purchased the van a number of years post conversion.

Also below is the external "permanent" features required.

Arron.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 09.47.25.png

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 16.06.56.png

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 00.05.39.PNG

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 00.05.59.PNG

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Very odd. But a professionally converted van doesn't? I have a friend with a VW campervan converted by a well known company but it doesn't have any graphics. I suppose they could have done your trick? Can you use a Van as a camper van without reclassification?
If you add the internal features as listed in the DVLA guidance document you can apply for a reclassification even without any graphics and you will almost certainly get a V5 back saying 'van with windows' but also a covering letter saying the vehicle can be used as a Motor Caravan which is really all you need.
The DVLA changed their approach to reclassification a few years back when at that time basically everything was given a V5 with a Motor Caravan description of vehicle.
I know someone who has been in a few discussions with the DVLA and what they are now saying is that the description of the vehicle on the V5 is simply to describe what it looks like in traffic and is nothing to do with how the vehicle is being used. The benefit of applying for reclassification, even if only getting a 'van with windows, is that the covering letter from the DVLA is evidence that the vehicle can be used as a Motor Caravan which is helpful when applying for insurance or to fight possible speeding offences as speed limits vary depending upon the use of the vehicle, ie a commercial van with windows has a different speed limits a van with windows used as a Motor Caravan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
Below is the graphics on my camper. I'm assuming that this is how the photos were presented to DVLA, however I can't be certain, as I purchased the van a number of years post conversion.

Also below is the external "permanent" features required.

Arron.

View attachment 473651

View attachment 473647

View attachment 473648

View attachment 473650
From the recent examples I have seen, that would almost certainly now be classed as a 'van with windows, so I assume it was reclassified at least 2 years ago or longer. Also the list of external features are just guidelines and not all are essential. The criteria is does the vehicle ( in the eyes of the DVLA examiner) look like a Motor Caravan in traffic.

This is an extract from a letter from the DVLA
While we publish a list of permanent external features that are most commonly seen in motor caravans, that list is not intended to be constraining or exhaustive and is for guidance purposes. The list is published to assist the vehicle keeper when applying to request a change of body type. The body type may still be changed despite the vehicle not having all of the modifications listed online. Conversely, there will also be certain vehicles whose original frame or outer structure is so distinctive in appearance that it is difficult to deviate from the initial manufactured design.

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
From the recent examples I have seen, that would almost certainly now be classed as a 'van with windows, so I assume it was reclassified at least 2 years ago or longer.
The conversion was done in 2016 and I bought it in 2020, so I would assume so. 👍🏼

It does meet all the internal criteria as stated on the website though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Overdale

Free Member
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
Overdale If you're looking to register your van as a 'motor caravan', then here's the guidance from DVLA website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan

I purchased a VW Crafter LWB high top last year, which is a full conversion and was already registered as a motor caravan. The guidance appears to be relatively straight forward, but I suspect that if you get a 'jobsworth', they may make the process harder than it needs to be. That final comment is based on previous dealings with the DVLA and the luck of the draw on who you get on the day.

Here's my camper if you're interested: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/just-joined-ne-scotland.236895/#post-4393761

Good luck with your venture. 👍🏼

Arron.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Overdale

Free Member
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
Thanks ever so much, its really helpful to see the pics, with kind regards Kelvin

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your buggered if they then demand an inspection at a VOSA centre.
It does say its a possibility.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The conversion was done in 2016 and I bought it in 2020, so I would assume so. 👍🏼

It does meet all the internal criteria as stated on the website though.
I will agree that there were no problems with the body type change back in 2016 as I did it with mine. However things have changed considerably since then.
In most instances the DVLA 'excuse' is that the vehicle must look like a motor caravan to the police and other authorities to have the change made to the V5C. If in their eyes it doesn't then you get 'Van with windows'.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back