LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just received my new V5 today after a weight upgrade only taken them 7 weeks 3 days.
Now how long will the Excise duty refund take?

Risked my trip to France (got home yesterday) with a colour copy of my old V5.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have postponed uprating my 'plate' because of the likely delays by DVLA and I have a ferry booked for next month and like to carry the original V5.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We will certainly miss the local offices where you could walk in and get the job done while sat at the counter, when I have upgraded the MH or changed the Reg number it was so easy, my age 70 licence is due soon so will have to wait and see the service from posting to Swansea. Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I rang the DVLA on Monday to ask where my V5 had got to, sent in for a weight change mid May, so only 5 weeks for me, they said records had been updated, but he could tell the new V5 hadn't been sent yet, but couldn't see why not

Got through really quickly on the phone though, very helpful and promised me he would push it along

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have postponed uprating my 'plate' because of the likely delays by DVLA and I have a ferry booked for next month and like to carry the original V5.
I sent mine in 5 weeks before we had a planned trip, one would have thought that would have been enough time, after 3 weeks received insurance certificate back & a receipt expected V5 to follow, no such luck.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
took them 3 goes with mine, and on 2 of those occasions they asked for docs i had already sent!! once i had the V5 back it took till the end of the month to get the refund.

been said before .... DVLA... Not fit for purpose!

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
8 1/2 weeks since I acquired our new (used) van and the dealer sent off the V5 for change of ownership and change of taxation weight having had SV Tech uprate it. No sign of the new V5 yet, and the on-line check still shows the old weight.

Tried ringing DVLA several times, each time receiving a recorded message to the effect of 'we're busy, go away' and the line was cleared!

So I tried the email route; reply, 'we're dealing with this, go away and don't ask again for another four weeks'! I replied about two weeks later saying I was going abroad, and what's happening? Same reply, answering only one of the three questions I asked.

Customer service at its finest? I think not.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My mate just got his V5 back in under 3 weeks, but you have probably guessed the monkeys got it wrong, rev weight 3850, mass 3500.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Having sent my V5 back 6 weeks ago as the got the mass weight wrong, I have now been without a v5 for 3 months.

Now IN SHOCK:-
There now is an easy to find phone number on the DVLA site, they actually answer, access their computers & give you an answer. they found my info said it would be processed and in the post today.
I think I'm going to have to sit down with a large G&T.(y)

Well if this is the sign of things to come once they get over their backlog we may get a reasonable service, maybe by about 2020.:)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There now is an easy to find phone number on the DVLA site

Any chance you could share the number or the web page link? It must be me but I have not been able to find their number :(

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Any chance you could share the number or the web page link? It must be me but I have not been able to find their number :(
0300 790 6802

DVLA link

Search "DVLA" in Google there is a result "Contact DVLA" takes you straight to the page.

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks (y) I am still waiting for my updated V5 but too soon to chase them.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We will certainly miss the local offices where you could walk in and get the job done while sat at the counter, when I have upgraded the MH or changed the Reg number it was so easy, my age 70 licence is due soon so will have to wait and see the service from posting to Swansea. Pete

Up date on the Licence posted 23/06/15, I rang them today 10/08/15 still no Licence in the post, I was told yes they have my application and it's been passed to the Medical revue team on the 07/08/15 and they are still working on early July Applications, so mine will be in 5 weeks with a bit of luck.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Got a new V5 for my new vehicle within 7 days and the refund of tax for the old one two days later.

Wow, that was quick. What time of year was that. I assume a good proportion of DVLA staff are on holiday now :D

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In my excitement of the possibility of getting a result I forgot to ask about the refund I've been waiting for, for 3 months, I think I'll wait until I actually have a V5 before contacting them again.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And just to keep a sense of balance.
Took the cherished plate off the car 'online' on Thursday.
Got the new V5 for the new No. on Saturday and got the Retention Cert for the cherished No. today.

All this was done on line with no human intervention.
The human intervention part is where it would seem to fall down.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Lenny hb

As far as your circs are concerned you respectfully need a lesson in English Grammar.

You should entitled this thread as; DVLA What! A Service??????

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
And just to keep a sense of balance.
Took the cherished plate off the car 'online' on Thursday.
Got the new V5 for the new No. on Saturday and got the Retention Cert for the cherished No. today.

All this was done on line with no human intervention.
The human intervention part is where it would seem to fall down.
Yep Motorhomes are non standard poor things get totally confused, I blame the Government moving the DVLA to foreign country.:D

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny hb

As far as your circs are concerned you respectfully need a lesson in English Grammar.

You should entitled this thread as; DVLA What! A Service??????
Dodn't do grammer never got more than 40% for ginlish at school (90% for maths), rely on spelling & grammer checkers to make my posts legdable & the boss as I regualy trip up the pellckeker.

On a more serious note isn't there a forum rule banning members for picking up on other members spelling & grammer?

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When I applied for a job in the early 70's the recruiter after a test gave the following comments.

Your Maths is outstanding.
Your General Knowledge is first class.
Your spelling is f%$king atrocious.

AND YOU CAN'T EVEN F%$KING SPELL ATROCIOUS!!!

But he still gave me a job. That was 44yrs almost to the day ago.
I can now spell F%$king atrocious!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Lenny,

To answer your question.

"On a more serious note isn't there a forum rule banning members for picking up on other members spelling & grammer?"

Yes. In the ordinary sense considered bad form. I hope you weren't offended by my attempt at humour. It was in no way intended to offend.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
None taken, hadn't even noticed it until you pointed it out, because my spelling & grammer are bad I normally put in extra effort in trying to get it right.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
On return from 6 weeks away I found a new V5C with the old weights and two letters from DVLA asking for further information, the second chasing up the first. The letters bore a phone number that went straight through to the lady who had signed the letters and we had a sensible conversation about my case, which she knew about. She didn't know about the earlier emails, though, so there is some breakdown in communication there.

The additional information she required should have been supplied by the dealer that did the uprating, so I can't blame DVLA for that. The lady sounded competent, and we discussed two other errors on the V5: the number of seats was wrong and so was the number of axles! These errors have probably been on the paperwork since the van was new, but she promised to fix both.

It seems, as ever, that if proper contact is established with a specific individual, things go more smoothly (I hope).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back