DVLA Weight license type problem (1 Viewer)

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi Guys

I was looking at the DVLA webshite when i saw this, I passed my test before 1997 does this mean i can drive a motorhome of any weight? I have a converted DAF coach just mm's under 12m

Category C entitlement
You can drive vehicles over 7.5 tonnes MAM. To draw a trailer over 750 kilograms you will need category C+E entitlement. Motorhomes of this weight cannot be driven on a standard category B (car) licence, irrespective of when that category B entitlement was obtained.

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
C1 & C1+E is NOT class C, so you can drive up to 7.5 tonnes and tow upto a further 750kg.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry slickmouse......unless you take and pass your class C test (new style HGV equivilent) it looks like you'll be selling the coach. :cry::cry:

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
hi

No No No No Just spoke to a training school LGV guy and going to do the test, have to apply for provisional license, medical, Hazard perception and a few lessons (used to drive 7.5tonners) so no worries :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Yes i know especially as i have been driving her :winky: But have a new shower and a few wee other things to do to it, if i start it tomorrow i am going to take pics of "How to fit a shwer" and will publish it if it turns out ok

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Didn't get a chance to even start shower today, bought an old generator which will bolt down into coach rather than the portable One i have, hopefully tomorrow ::bigsmile:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
hi

No No No No Just spoke to a training school LGV guy and going to do the test, have to apply for provisional license, medical, Hazard perception and a few lessons (used to drive 7.5tonners) so no worries :ROFLMAO:

Hi,

Don't think because you had a 7.5ton license it will be easy. I had HCV 1 and went for PCV test and it was a lot harder than expected. Things like stopping at the right place at the kerb on a bus stop so that the door opens to the head of the "bus" queue, remembering to check down the left side when pulling away so that nobody has their coat trapped in the door, and being made to enter a very narrow street with the front right corner over the pavement on one side and the back nearside wheel missing the kerb etc,etc. Also on hazard perception as an experienced Driver you see the hazard before they want you to see it and end up pressing the button too soon !.:Angry:
Best of luck anyway.

David

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
HI

I'm not going for my PCV its the C Class test, dont want to drive a bus/coach for a living, i think we are back to the do i really need to pass a test to drive my own motorhome thing???

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
When I bought my 11 tonne RV my insurance company were OK with my ordinary licence. When it came to renewal the policy stated "must hold a suitable licence". Knowing how insurance companies like to wriggle out of their responsibilities I thought getting the class C licence the safest option.
I took 3 days training and took my test on the 4th. I thought I was a pretty decent driver of RVs and 7.5 tonners but I learnt loads particularly about positioning and maneuvering. I really enjoyed the experience so I'd recommend it to anyone.

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back