DVLA - Trying to get rid of older drivers? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just done a treadmill test to get back my C1 at 72 - it was harder than I thought and I am still pretty active.

I can see a lot failing, and how do they check the disabled?

Statistically older drivers are safer but how can just a treadmill test help? I don't peddle the van.

If I'd failed the test I could have lost my driving licence altogether.

Wouldn't it make more sense to retake your driving test every 10 years ? - for everyone !

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i certainly wouldn't be able to do a treadmill test, nothing wrong with my heart at all, ( but legs, hips and bits that are fine sitting which is what you do when you're driving) and personally i'd be more than happy to take a driving test every three years to keep my licence up...

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I struggled on the second 3 minutes and thought about calling it a day but held out till the end. Consultant said I would be fine. Then said he wanted my atorvastatin increased from 20mg to 80mg and bloody hell have I suffered with muscle and joint pain since. Not taking any now till pain stops then back to 20mg. Just had to cancel 8 day trip as trouble driving manual at moment.
New licence arrived OK.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure how they would treadmill test someone without legs who uses a car converted to hand controls.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think a drug alternative can be used to replicate the stresses that a heart undergoes when exercising.

It's called alcohol, the diligent FUNsters are often seen testing themselves thoroughly.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Wouldn't it make more sense to retake your driving test every 10 years ? - for everyone !

The point of a medical is surely to make sure you’re not likely to pass out whilst driving and hurt somebody else. Nothing to do with your ability to actually drive.

A driving test every 10 years wouldn’t check your health. Perhaps we should all do both?

Mike

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The point of a medical is surely to make sure you’re not likely to pass out whilst driving and hurt somebody else.

Not sure how the treadmill ECG can eliminate all the causes of someone passing out.................

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The point of a medical is surely to make sure you’re not likely to pass out whilst driving and hurt somebody else. Nothing to do with your ability to actually drive.

A driving test every 10 years wouldn’t check your health. Perhaps we should all do both?

Mike
So the professional drivers who drive hundreds of miles everyday (except say weekends), would need to do this too?
Well why not a builder has to go through a test of quality to keep their job. A doctor has to go through an exam every 10 years. The legal profession have to do a fictional test case. Chefs having to do a Masterchef type competition. The list could be endless

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just done a treadmill test to get back my C1 at 72 - it was harder than I thought and I am still pretty active.

I can see a lot failing, and how do they check the disabled?

Statistically older drivers are safer but how can just a treadmill test help? I don't peddle the van.

If I'd failed the test I could have lost my driving licence altogether.

Is the treadmill test related to heart problems?? BUSBY.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Is the treadmill test related to heart problems?? BUSBY.

Yes, I had a mild heart attack and a stent fitted 4 years ago - no problems since

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
So the professional drivers who drive hundreds of miles everyday (except say weekends), would need to do this too?
Well why not a builder has to go through a test of quality to keep their job. A doctor has to go through an exam every 10 years. The legal profession have to do a fictional test case. Chefs having to do a Masterchef type competition. The list could be endless

HGV drivers do 35 hrs a year in the classroom plus medicals after 45,, BUSBY,,

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think most medical professions have to do an amount of continuing professional development in order to retain their registration . As a pilot even at the light end of aviation there are increasingly frequent medicals as age increases. Its all about the odds if the stress treadmill helps to identify those most liikely to pass out while driving then its a good idea but I have no idea whether it does pick out the dodgy ones or if its just to say theyve done something!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
HGV drivers do 35 hrs a year in the classroom plus medicals after 45,, BUSBY,,
Yes I'm well aware of that but the posts were suggesting taking a (practical) test every 10 years.
The DCPC is a farce anyway. Technically a driver can take the SAME 7 hour module 5 times and retain the DCPC.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I think with those professions, it’s pretty easy to tell if you are still competent to carry out your duties. Incompetent Doctors would soon find themselves losing patient, builder losing work and Chefs sacked for not performing.
The legal profession are on the whole pretty incompetent anyway, so you wouldn’t notice. ( tin helmet on........)
With driving, it seems the more you drive, the better you think you are. I personally think the general standard of driving in most countries is pretty dismal, you only have to drive on the motorway in fog or heavy rain to see all those accidents waiting to happen.
Driving hundreds of miles a day doesn’t make you a good driver but regular assessments might mean you maintain a reasonable standard of driving.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yes I'm well aware of that but the posts were suggesting taking a (practical) test every 10 years.
The DCPC is a farce anyway. Technically a driver can take the SAME 7 hour module 5 times and retain the DCPC.
And i bet none of them can rope,sheet and use sylvesters,,,or hand ball 24 tonne of hundredweight sacks off,,,:D2:D2:D2 Thought you would be aware,,BUSBY,,:LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think with those professions, it’s pretty easy to tell if you are still competent to carry out your duties. Incompetent Doctors would soon find themselves losing patient, builder losing work and Chefs sacked for not performing.
The legal profession are on the whole pretty incompetent anyway, so you wouldn’t notice. ( tin helmet on........)
With driving, it seems the more you drive, the better you think you are. I personally think the general standard of driving in most countries is pretty dismal, you only have to drive on the motorway in fog or heavy rain to see all those accidents waiting to happen.
Driving hundreds of miles a day doesn’t make you a good driver but regular assessments might mean you maintain a reasonable standard of driving.
Which what the DCPC claims to do but read my post a little higher about the DCPC

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

What do they say,,practise makes perfect,,Think someone who drives 10 hrs a day week in week out has to become a better driver than someone who hardly drives,,,same with any skill..BUSBY,,

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And i bet none of them can rope,sheet and use sylvesters,,,or hand ball 24 tonne of hundredweight sacks off,,,:D2:D2:D2 Thought you would be aware,,BUSBY,,:LOL:
Exactly and tbf, I wouldn't rope and sheet nowadays or handball sacks. I leave the customer to do that.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree except the 'think' bit. I appreciate there are accidents involving HGV's but usually highly publicised whereas car/car accidents are far more commonplace.
Don't forget, HGV/PSV drivers are professional

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't think i would have kept many of my cliental when i was in haulage if i had left it to them to unload my trucks,,,BUSBY,
Well we're not insured to get into the back of a container. It's for the customer to load or unload and for me to arrive on time and get to the designated destination safely.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What do they say,,practise makes perfect,,Think someone who drives 10 hrs a day week in week out has to become a better driver than someone who hardly drives,,,same with any skill..BUSBY,,
We might have to agree to disagree here, as an ex Police Traffic officer ( including motorway patrols), the worst drivers I came across were those who drove all day and had picked up bad habits as they went.
Sure, there are some very good professional drivers and those that have taken the trouble to gain some extra qualifications ( advanced driving test) will be safer, but once you pick up bad habits while driving, they are very hard to shake off.
I’m not saying all high mileage drivers are bad, but they certainly aren’t all good.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well we're not insured to get into the back of a container. It's for the customer to load or unload and for me to arrive on time and get to the designated destination safely.

Oh containers,,idle drivers work,,Could not have hacked that,,can't sit on my arse doing nothing while others take hours to do what i could have done in half the time.When i used to turn up on a building site in the 80s with 20 ton of bags of cement on you could see the buggers hiding,, Couldn't lift a hundredweight now i doubt,,BUSBY.:unsure::unsure:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry to have to quote you again but it's not only those professions but any professions. I just cited those as examples. There us so much wrong in what you say. Dr. Shipman is a prime example. Took years to find not only was he incompetent but also a master of hiding the fact he was killing his own patients

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We might have to agree to disagree here, as an ex Police Traffic officer ( including motorway patrols), the worst drivers I came across were those who drove all day and had picked up bad habits as they went.
Sure, there are some very good professional drivers and those that have taken the trouble to gain some extra qualifications ( advanced driving test) will be safer, but once you pick up bad habits while driving, they are very hard to shake off.
I’m not saying all high mileage drivers are bad, but they certainly aren’t all good.

Very low accident rate per thousand vehicles amongst HGV group compared to other groups of drivers...Only driven with one advanced driver,,,terrible,He thought he was the dogs bol..ks,,,,BUSBY.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ah, that explains it all. Most traffic cops hate heavy goods drivers anyway. The advanced driving test is not as skilled as HGV/PSV qualifications. I've added to my qualifications by the National and International CPC (not the silly DCPC although I have that too), ADR, DGSA and none make a better driver but font say that you consider police to be better drivers, please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back