DVLA strikes again...weight upgrade (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just talked to the DVLA about a weight change application I made a few weeks ago. Yes, they have got it and no they can't do the upgrade. Reason: it has changed the tax class so it needs to be retaxed before or at the same time as the weight change. So they are sending all the paperwork back to me for me to fill in the relevant tax change bits. We are away at the end of the month and there is no way they will get things done by then. So it's another trip to France being careful about what we put in. I've not heard about this necessity on the forum so just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else doing it!!!

Spitting nails!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The tax change is from Lgv to phgv which is less tax £165 I think cant remember filling out anything regarding tax when I did ours however it was already over 3500kg.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We got our new van the v5 came in about 7 days had to send it back as it had the wrong name and weight , they said it would take 4 weeks for a replacement its now been over 5 weeks sick as a chip Im hoping it will be here soon so we can head south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Must of landed on an idots desk who has not done it before. Assuming you filled out the paperwork correctly they should process it and refund the tax difference.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'd ring them back and ask to speak to a competent person but they have already posted the paperwork back.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Regarding changing the V5 the model no was wrong and i was going away in 4 weeks waited 3 weeks and then rang dvla told them the problem going to Spain in a week, bingo here within 2 days i was amazed.
Bill

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, they have got it and no they can't do the upgrade. Reason: it has changed the tax class so it needs to be retaxed before or at the same time as the weight change. So they are sending all the paperwork back to me for me to fill in the relevant tax change bits.

It can't be retaxed before the weight change because, until that has happened, the tax category won't have altered! A chicken and egg situation. I am assuming that you are up-plating (your post does not say), in which case as others have said and as happened to me, you should automatically get a refund in due course. If you are down-plating, I can see that they might want the extra tax up front. I am still waiting for them to correct the common error they made on my V5C, which was to change the revenue weight but not the maximum permissible mass. I may have to be patient.

Chicken and egg.JPG

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes I'm up-plating (3850 from 3500). They are sending back the paperwork with a form to apply for the new tax. The MH is two years old next month so I will need to get it taxed at the current weight then apply for the new tax and send everything off again after we get back from France at the end of September. I'll need to take the current V5 with me when we cross the channel, so I can't do it before then.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DVLA will only change the tax class and refund any extra if there's enough outstanding tax to cover the new tax cost.
It may have changed since the local offices went but you have to buy new tax at the new 12 month rate, not simply swap outstanding months. ie: 4 months old for 4 months new etc.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It's the inconsistencies that are most frustrating :mad:

Anyone following my dealings with them will know that they messed up my Maximum Weight, however, I did not fill any of the taxation class details in.

I received a voicemail from them during the up-rating process, advising me that because the taxation class was changing, the lady caller had sent my paperwork to that team, for the change to be made, on my behalf.

I have this week received a refund cheque from them (y)..... But no correct V5 :whistle:

Last edited:

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
We have upgraded the weight on 2 different vans in the past 2 years and both went smoothly, each time we got a road tax refund. Last time it took 8 days. You are really unlucky.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
More than you think...... I put a crispy tenner in with mine, along with a short note "please sort this application before Stretto's" :rofl:

If you give me a large briefcase absolutely bulging with used tenners, I will keep quiet about your breach of section 1 of the Bribery Act 2010 :):):)

I have two friends who wear wigs for reasons unconnected with hair loss. You wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of either of them:

IMG_0895.PNG

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have two friends who wear wigs for reasons unconnected with hair loss. You wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of either of them:

View attachment 177939

Not scared, I've mentioned previously about being called Jennifer on Fridays. Obviously more of us about than I first thought :LOL:

Actually, I once had a colleague of your two friends clear a court, to hear something I wouldn't disclose openly. His reaction to what he heard wasn't at all good and after he'd exclaimed out loud, he stormed out of the courtroom. I really wanted to be elsewhere at that moment :whistle:

It was brought about by a misunderstanding and a weak CPS lawyer, but was probably the single scariest moment of an exemplary career and since then, I've feared Judges more than Dentists :eek:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I had four failed attempts before we started our 7 month tour an gave up! now have 3 v5 s none uprated, away for another couple of months soon but will try when we return. At which point all paperwork cert. etc will be a year old. the DVLA are doing my head in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I'm up-plating (3850 from 3500). They are sending back the paperwork with a form to apply for the new tax. The MH is two years old next month so I will need to get it taxed at the current weight then apply for the new tax and send everything off again after we get back from France at the end of September. I'll need to take the current V5 with me when we cross the channel, so I can't do it before then.
Am I right in understanding that it is NOT currently taxed? If so that may be the reason for their returning the paperwork.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Am I right in understanding that it is NOT currently taxed? If so that may be the reason for their returning the paperwork.

You've hit the nail on the head Minxy.

The DVLA will not alter any details on that Doc if the vehicle is NOT CURRENTLY TAXED.

I appreciate that the system is frustrating but I can see it from their point of view. In addition, and in a minor way, its an additional little check as to the bona fides of the application. It links the V5 to the applicant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You've hit the nail on the head Minxy.

The DVLA will not alter any details on that Doc if the vehicle is NOT CURRENTLY TAXED.

I appreciate that the system is frustrating but I can see it from their point of view. In addition, and in a minor way, its an additional little check as to the bona fides of the application. It links the V5 to the applicant.
Just call me Mme Inspector Cluseau! :D

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I am now the proud owner of a brand new and correct V5 which shows Revenue Weight and Maximum Permissable Mass uprated to 4500kg.

:party2::party2:

@Stretto Boy That none existent tenner had the desired effect :LOL:

Hopefully your V5 should be with you shortly (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nothing surprisises me anymore regarding dvla
4 vehicles and a driving licence registered with them all with the same name address dob etc and they misspelt my name causing no end of trouble

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am now the proud owner of a brand new and correct V5 which shows Revenue Weight and Maximum Permissable Mass uprated to 4500kg.

:party2::party2:

@Stretto Boy That none existent tenner had the desired effect :LOL:

Hopefully your V5 should be with you shortly (y)

Excellent news! :) No sign of mine yet. Looks like I need to be sending them a virtual tenner soon.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
More than you think...... I put a crispy tenner in with mine, along with a short note "please sort this application before Stretto's" :rofl:

It's come, it's come @Kingham! :dance2: Arrived home to find a brown envelope from Swansea on my doormat. I opened it with some trepidation, my hands shaking, palms sweating, beads of perspiration running down my forehead and nerves jangling. My fingernails bitten to the bone. Would it be my V5c? If so, would they have altered it correctly, incorrectly or not at all?

IMG_2129.JPG

I opened it slowly, peering ever so slightly and fearfully around the edge of the envelope. It looked like a V5c. It WAS a V5c! But, was it correctly changed?

Yes, it's correct! :Grin: Hurrah! It took a bit longer than yours Ken because I didn't pay the "expedition fee" of a crispy tenner. But it's sorted at last. And I'm a tenner to the good!

IMG_2130.PNG

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Vehicle is taxed. Since then have retaxed at 3500 and am currently in France. Will reapply when I get back. Should be enough left of the old tax to cover the new reduced rate but bet DVLA will want it retaxed before hand. Will see what they say at end of September!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Stretto Boy Party time :LOL: and seeing as you're a tenner to the good, the first round's on you. Pleased you're sorted (y)

As I've got nothing to moan about now, I might take them to task over them telling me that I'm not allowed to have the colour corrected on my log book. My priority at the time was the weight uprate and their refusal took a back seat, but now it's starting to niggle a little bit :D

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
@Stretto Boy Party time :LOL: and seeing as you're a tenner to the good, the first round's on you. Pleased you're sorted (y)

As I've got nothing to moan about now, I might take them to task over them telling me that I'm not allowed to have the colour corrected on my log book. My priority at the time was the weight uprate and their refusal took a back seat, but now it's starting to niggle a little bit :D

Yes Ken, I'm happy to stand the first round. As I'm teetotal it should be quite cheap. Lime and soda everybody? :)

I can't stand the thought of you having nothing to moan about. Here's the complaints procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure

Failing which, I'm sure my colleagues would be happy to sssist with an application for judicial review:

IMG_2133.PNG

A chap can't have the colour of his motorhome being incorrectly described in the logbook. That's just not cricket.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just rang the DVLA to check on their progress correcting their error on my revised V5c, where Revenue Weight went up to 3850kgs but Maximum Permissable Mass was left at 3500kgs, bearing in mind the application was accompanied by a copy of the DVSA centre's conversion plate.

Form was posted 1st class recorded on 14 August, but was never delivered. No record of it being received by DVLA. Not only have Royal Mail lost it (or it's been nicked because it was destined for a well-known Swansea postcode), but they won't compensate for 'consequential loss', ie the £25 cost of ordering a substitute V5c.

Girl on the phone very helpful, but the supervisor she spoke to out of earshot initially told her that MPM can't be changed by DVLA. I patiently told her that I'd spent £x having the rear suspension converted, and the new converter's plate from the DVSA centre would suggest otherwise. She relayed this to her supervisor and I was subsequently advised that they'd send it upstairs marked urgent and try to get me a new V5c form as soon as possible. Just as well given that we're planning to go abroad in the not too distant future.

So, currently likely to be £25 down, the possibility of my V5c being in the wrong hands, and a question mark over our holiday all because DVLA couldn't get their numbers right the first time.

Deleted User
Just to redress the balance, weight upgrade completed successfully in 3 weeks, V5 correct, no MAM same as the original.

Wife's driving licence renewed at 70, C1 not renewed,on the first day possible ie 90 days before expiry, new licence arrived by return. Form completed online Thurs morning, new licence arrived Sat morning.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Long thread so it may already have been mentioned..
If your current tax is on a direct debit then I think you have to sort that , ie cancel current and take out new before applying for a new v5..
If on the other hand your vehicle is taxed by a one off payment you fill out a v70 for a rebate and send that off with your application for change of weight..
I hope I've got that right.. cause they have my application now..:D:LOL:
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back