DVLA strange (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Having sold the MO HO we had the personal reg number on retention. We wanted to put it on the car, but wanted to keep the reg from the car. Unable to do this online we had to do it by post. This included sending a cheque (first one I've written since 2014) I have been checking the bank everyday to see if the cheque had beeb cashed, expecting the worst because of the DVLA'S reputation. But yesterday the new VC5 arrived for the car and the retention certificate for the number. They still have not cashed the cheque yet.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Having sold the MO HO we had the personal reg number on retention. We wanted to put it on the car, but wanted to keep the reg from the car. Unable to do this online we had to do it by post. This included sending a cheque (first one I've written since 2014) I have been checking the bank everyday to see if the cheque had beeb cashed, expecting the worst because of the DVLA'S reputation. But yesterday the new VC5 arrived for the car and the retention certificate for the number. They still have not cashed the cheque yet.

Cancel the cheque:D

That should give them as many problems as they cause us. Maybe they will learn summat, just maybe.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Son sent off application to renew annual Trade Plate licence mid December.
Received letter authorising continued use end of January.
Cheque cashed mid February.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was going to say they won't send a skivvy out to the bank with an individual cheque every time they receive one.
They maybe have one deposit per month or so.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
So what happens if the cheque is not paid by my bank? The plates are on the car

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I was going to say they won't send a skivvy out to the bank with an individual cheque every time they receive one.
They maybe have one deposit per month or so.

Surely these Government Departments are part of the Clearing House system.

If not why not?

Maybe the Boss of DVLA does not know what that is, or how to apply.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So what happens if the cheque is not paid by my bank? The plates are on the car
They send you a stroppy letter and if you don't reply take you off the national data base so you are driving illegally you would also probably lose the registration so I would not cancel the cheque its their game to their rules!!!!!!

Reactions: GPW
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect stopping a cheque after you have received goods/services is theft, fraud, or something else nasty you don’t want on your record.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
For all postal applications DVLA require a cheque or Postal Order. They must receive hundreds of cheques every day.
They send out a cheque for road tax refunds and HMRC still send out cheques.
DVLA did away with the paper disc and went electronic but still uses cheques in and out.
We were due to have cheques abolished in this country a few years back so what would DVLA have done then?
Go electronic like most other organisations have already?
You have to pay me money? Here's my sort code and account number, in my account within seconds!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
No intention of stopping the cheque. When I got a refund for the road tax it was a cheque and it was quick

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
They probably have a system for paying cheques in remotely. I run a small club account and I can pay a cheque in by taking a picture of it on my banking app. Works a treat but still have to go to bank to pay in cash?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back