DVLA - Registration of an Imported Used Vehicle (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Dear All,

I haven't been on properly for a while as I've been very busy, but I am finally pleased to announce to all the kind people that have advised along the way.......................

I have today received my Registration Document for my Hymer!!!!

It has been not without difficulty, the DVLA returned my application twice, firstly because my insurance certificate it didn't state the vin/chassis no., which it did, further down the document, (this took over a week for them to post back to me even though I sent docs in Special Next day delivery).

Secondly, they returned it because it didn't state the vin/chassis no. in the "Reg No." box, which my insurers advised they couldn't put it in there because it was too long.

As I had about 1 day left on the 2 weeks insurance policy which could only be extended for another week, and that was the second insurance I had obtained of the only 2 people that would insure me, I was rather stressed about it all, to say the least.

Oh, the incompetence of the DVLA.........don't worry, they will all be getting decent pensions too!

It was at this point I phoned and eventually got the name of someone who would deal with it specially for me. So I returned the docs a third time, and stressed in my covering letter that if they messed me about anymore, I would be taking the matter to my local MP. They received the document on Monday, I telephoned Tuesday to check on it (had to speak to a manager to get any information without being fobbed off) and she told me it had gone through and I would be receiving a letter.

Today I have received my V5, and am just awaiting tax disc and document to allow me to get new number plate.

Now that was fast.............eventually!!! :thumb:

Morocco is most definitely ON! ::bigsmile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Congratulations

Nice to here everything is now OK.

Enjoy Morocco.

Look forward to reading about your trip.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Let's know your itinerary for Morocco Pinkie - we can come and applaud you somewhere on your journey south before you go for the ferry (or tunnel??).

A very impressive show all round!

Catherine

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Good on you getting it sorted, I went thru the same hassle earlier in the year, although my main problem was the insurance company, they kept asking me for the vehicle reg.number every few days, and then told me that I could not drive to the test station, when I argued the point, telling them it was not an MOT but a VOSA test, they then said I could drive but could not stop for fuel or sweets, and this is from a company ( A. F. ) who advertises that they will insure imports on the chassis number.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
we have just done a weight upgrade using vtech
paper work came last week our daughter took it Leeds dvla office 15 minutes and done

bet it would have been a month using Swansea

and well done pinkie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Let's know your itinerary for Morocco Pinkie - we can come and applaud you somewhere on your journey south before you go for the ferry (or tunnel??).

A very impressive show all round!

Catherine

Better still, follow her.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just a thought, before venturing to Morocco, check that your insurance will allow you to go there. A friend spent 3 months there last winter, and had to pay almost double his insurance for the privilege!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks for your replies:

Dundee DVLA office WAS still open for another month but they weren't allowed to deal with anything, ridiculous!!!

Re. Morocco - I am going to start working out my route over the coming week, I shan't bother with the ferry UK-Spain, it's now too expensive and would rather drive through France I think, as I haven't travelled it yet. I couldn't think about the trip before this was sorted out, so I am SO DELIGHTED, I can get to the fun bit - planning stage!

I've now got the document to get plates made up and the tax disc - so plates tomorrow and a drive out I think!

:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
I'm sure my insurance broker told me I had an automatic 3 month abroad cover with my fully comp - 2 lots of insurance, £600!!! I shall double check it whether I'm covered.

Upvote 0

twerly

Free Member
Nov 3, 2013
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Congratulations, I have just entered the DVLA lottery. Just re-checked my forms and attached documents to make sure the VIN is in the correct place and all the other documents are ship shape. I too was limited to insurance options, though mine was not dependent upon getting the DVLA through, though not like it is going anywhere until I get my new plates and tax disk!!
Out of interest did you put Fiat as the manufacturer and model Ducato. Bit weird as my Certificate of Conformity states Hymer as the Manufacturer and I am 99% sure this is wrong!. Left this blank as well as they can work it out from the CoC.

Enjoy your trip, I am sitting in ours and pretending:Smile:

Steve

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I imported a Mercedes's. RMB in 2006
Was a simple thing to do back then
Now it's the crazy world of jobs worth in power

Glad to hear your sorted with reg and insurance

As you say now the fun bit
Go for it.
Best thing I ever did
I have ended up with two RVs for my stupidity
Erm enjoyment.

Enjoy. X Ian

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sure my insurance broker told me I had an automatic 3 month abroad cover with my fully comp - 2 lots of insurance, £600!!! I shall double check it whether I'm covered.

Suspect your cover will only be for Europe - Maroc is in Africa - you will doubtless need a green card or supplementary cover from another provider.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Suspect your cover will only be for Europe - Maroc is in Africa - you will doubtless need a green card or supplementary cover from another provider.

I do know Morocco is in Africa!!! :winky:

Yep checked my insurance, 3 months but Europe only, but I plan on getting the insurance when I get there. I've had my fill of insurance at the moment, also getting ADAC breakdown cover, so not too worried.

Upvote 0

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do you also need a Carnet de Passage to go out of the EU like ?I had to with lorries and trailers.
They needed a deposit of twice the value of the vehicle to guarantee customs requirements for importing and exporting at the next border post. They use to be needed for all of Europe a few years ago for all vehicles and were issued by the AA and RAC.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Do you also need a Carnet de Passage to go out of the EU like ?I had to with lorries and trailers.
They needed a deposit of twice the value of the vehicle to guarantee customs requirements for importing and exporting at the next border post. They use to be needed for all of Europe a few years ago for all vehicles and were issued by the AA and RAC.
Not required for Morocco

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back