wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Have just received back my V5C, having sent it off to have the Transit re-classified as a CAMPERVAN, so the cost of the RFL could be reduced.

I filled in the previous V5C correctly, added a little Post-it note for good measure, and yet it has still come back classified as Light Goods Vehicle, with body type Van/Side Windows.

Should I now visit my "not so" local DVLA office, and kick some ar$e there?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Living near Swansea found nowadays the DVLA are much more approachable, I would visit them as you might be slightly surprised (phoning does not work:Doh:)

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Living near Swansea found nowadays the DVLA are much more approachable, I would visit them as you might be slightly surprised (phoning does not work:Doh:)

400 mile round trip........................?

Probably not, but thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
You'll have a local office, yell.com/yellow pages/try DVLA web site for details.

We had to visit a while back to sort out a kit car registration issue and they were fine. These things I believe usually require inspection but it tends to be quick and simple.

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You'll have a local office, Link Removed pages/try DVLA web site for details.

We had to visit a while back to sort out a kit car registration issue and they were fine. These things I believe usually require inspection but it tends to be quick and simple.

I thought that might be the case - Wimbledon here I come.............:Doh:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
If i recall correctly the wording had to be when we applied to change the group for a V5 on our campervan...Motor Caravan and then the next time you renew your Road fund tax you then change your class but not both at the same time

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
When we last registered our RV DVLA in Preston were brilliant. Took in the paperwork they helped me fill it all in and 2 days later job done, collected registration plate manufacturing forms and a tax disc and 7 days after that the new logbook dropped through the door. Done 3 RVs now and its been the same every time. :thumb:

Not had any dealings with them on the phone so cant comment on that side of things

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi send it back with change of classification to MOTOR CARAVAN.send pics of van front and back showing number plate plus a pic of inside
terry

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi send it back with change of classification to MOTOR CARAVAN.send pics of van front and back showing number plate plus a pic of inside
terry
oh yes forgot about this part, the DVLA will want to see photos of inside also.. it will prove that there are items that are permanently fixed in to use as a camper van.

we showed our hob, fridge, washroom, water tank seating etc

Good luck sorting it out

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have just received back my V5C, having sent it off to have the Transit re-classified as a CAMPERVAN, so the cost of the RFL could be reduced.
I filled in the previous V5C correctly, added a little Post-it note for good measure, and yet it has still come back classified as Light Goods Vehicle, with body type Van/Side Windows.
Should I now visit my "not so" local DVLA office, and kick some ar$e there?
Absolutely daft question I know wivvy’s dad,:Confused: but is it as easy as you state to change the registration type. The reason that I ask is, I got the classification changed on my van through my local DVLA office. Before they did this I had to prove that the van was first registered as a motor home and not a van. They would not change it if the first registration was not as a m/home.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Same here, ie, great service from local DVLA office, as well as from local VOSA.

Swansea DVLA on the end of a phone??? Now that's a different matter altogether. :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so the cost of the RFL could be reduced.

unless your transit is over 3500kg gross it wont make any difference to the cost of road tax having it reclassified as a motorcaravan or campervan.

road tax is based on the revenue weight, not body type.

up to 3500kg is £205...(PLG...same as a car)

above 3500kg its classed as private heavy goods (PHGV) and is £165

if yours is classified as a........

light goods vehicle (LGV) the rate should be £200.

private light goods (PLG) rate is £205.

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Why can't related post arrive together?

Just received a letter from DVLA requesting photo's of conversion, including one at least with number plate visible. So that's my question answered.

Thanks to all who replied, most illuminating.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Why can't related post arrive together?

Just received a letter from DVLA requesting photo's of conversion, including one at least with number plate visible. So that's my question answered.

Thanks to all who replied, most illuminating.

I think you had nothing better to do and thought, I know, lets waste everybody elses time, just for a laugh. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back